BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Trunk Release Button location

15K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Crmgr 
#1 ·
Am I the only one who thinks the button is too far a reach/stretch if you're seated in the drivers seat & don't have the fob handy?

damn - I swear its a stretch & a half...they should of put it on the dash somewhere IMO..

Aceman

#4 ·
Yes most Japanese luxury cars have it on the dash to the left if the steering wheel.

The reason the BMW one is in an odd spot is because it's an afterthought. The UK models don't have the button at all.

#5 ·
Funny isn't it - if you're in the car...you need to stretch and then some but they go out of their way to design the "happy feet" option as i call it...priorities priorities!

Aceman

#6 · (Edited)
I never use the cabin trunk release, it's not necessary. You can simply open the trunk like a door by using the lever under the license plate holder. It's not like American cars where you need the key, just push on the area above the license plate. Next you all will be asking for a fuel door release in the cabin -- also totally unnecessary with the BMW and Mercedes "intelligent" design, IMO. That is, the fuel door is simply unlocked when the driver door is unlocked -- who needs a lever inside the cabin?

#11 · (Edited)
So if you are picking up someone with luggage curbside or dropping someone off outside the airport, how do you open the trunk from the driver's seat while the key is in your trouser pocket, without undoing your seatbelt to get the key, or getting out of the car?

I usually stop the car and open the trunk for my guests too, but in some places you aren't allowed to stop only to drop off passengers, so if you park the car and get out its a ticket.

#7 · (Edited)
Am I the only one who thinks the button is too far a reach/stretch if you're seated in the drivers seat & don't have the fob handy?

damn - I swear its a stretch & a half...they should of put it on the dash somewhere IMO..
My new 2012 535xi has it in a very convenient location just below the headlight switch under the dashboard right by the hood latch. Seems logical and convenient to me.

#14 ·
It was so much more convenient in the E70. Right in the center with other buttons. I agree that it seems like an afterthought. Same goes for the button to the Active Seat. You need to stretch all the way forward. And if the passenger forgot to turn it off when leaving, you can't easily turn it off unless you have really long arms.

#17 ·
Whlie they are at it, maybe they can figure out where to put the steering wheel heater button in a place you can see and why not an indicator to show it is on, or wait, when then annoying DING, it 3 degrees outside comes on, have it come on automatically

Its confusing how BMW builds a world class car with options that are great, then forget to make the simple things... SIMPLE

Did I mention to let me add an automatic starter...for the 100th time....LOL

#18 ·

Aceman
Totally agree... it sucks. It should be, say, near the door lock/unlock button if they really could not come up with anything else... (my fob is deep in my pocket, comfort access... so much for "comfort" LOL)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.