Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 325Ci, 106XXX miles. Both the in-cabin and external trunk release buttons have stopped working. I checked the central locking fuses and all are good. No other electrical problems at all. Any ideas on why both would suddenly lose function?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
2004 325Ci, 106XXX miles. Both the in-cabin and external trunk release buttons have stopped working. I checked the central locking fuses and all are good. No other electrical problems at all. Any ideas on why both would suddenly lose function?
could be chafed wires in the rubber boot in the trunk lid jam

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Go to E46Fanatics and search for elephant trunk. The elephant trunk contains the wires that run from the body to the trunk lid. Those wires take a beating every time the trunk lid is opened/closed. You have at least 1 broken wire inside the elephant trunk.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go to E46Fanatics and search for elephant trunk. The elephant trunk contains the wires that run from the body to the trunk lid. Those wires take a beating every time the trunk lid is opened/closed. You have at least 1 broken wire inside the elephant trunk.
Hmmm, the trunk releases when I use the button on the key. How does that work when the others don't? Sorry, I just don't fully know how this mechanism works. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Hmmm, the trunk releases when I use the button on the key. How does that work when the others don't? Sorry, I just don't fully know how this mechanism works. Thanks.
It could be a general module issue then.

The lock motor receives power from the general module. Ground wire goes from the motor through the rubber boot to the chassis.

The unlock button on the lid is connected to the general module as well and the ground wire goes through the rubber boot to the chassis. (separate wire from the previous)

The unlock button inside is connected to the general module as well and has a ground near the switch.

If the remote works, that means the general module is able to actuate the motor. But why doesn't it sense the buttons? If only the lid button wouldn't work, that would make the chafed wires story more likely.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I missed the obvious. Since I've always either used the button on the key or the button inside the car, I never thought to check the position of the key lock. Best guess is I or a family member used the key in the trunk lock and left it in the locked position. Duh! Still, a relief to know it's not broken. Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Well, I missed the obvious. Since I've always either used the button on the key or the button inside the car, I never thought to check the position of the key lock. Best guess is I or a family member used the key in the trunk lock and left it in the locked position. Duh! Still, a relief to know it's not broken. Thanks for everyone's input.
:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts