BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My Trunk Struts are failing, so I need to replace them.

PN is 51248222913

Question: in searching the internet, it appears that many online vendors sell either:
- Febi brand: $23
- Stabilus (which is OEM): $30

I'd probably go with Stabilus because I have them in my 1998 Volvo as well. But just curious if Febi is as good as Stabilus?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hmmm I never really thought about the strut brands... I figure they aren't really doing any kind of performance except for holding the trunk open. I just buy whatever is at the local checkers and napa auto parts...but there was this one eBay guy I bought off of and was really cheap.he claimed it was oem but I didn't really notice the brand.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
If money is an issue, I use the followinbg rule of thumb. If the part is non-critical to vehicle safety or reliability, go with the low cost brand. If the part is critical to vehicle safety or reliability, go with OEM. That said, that rule of thumb does not always work as non-OEM FSUs are notorius for failing prematurely. If money is not an issue, stay with OEM unless there is a reason not to (e.g. thrust arm bushings).

·
Registered
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Fudman,

The issue for me is not budget because the price difference between these 2 brands (Febi vs Stabilus) is only a few dollars.
The question is: Is Febi any better than Stabilus?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.