BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I own a 2005 325i 4 door sedan (E46). Currently I have non-halo, halogen head lights and want to upgrade to a Halo Lens. I think I have decided on the Halo lens but I am trying to find a complete HID solution (kit) for my low beam, high beams, and fog lights. I have never owned HID lights before and it seems like every site I have found focuses on just the low beam, high beam, or fog light. I don't want to mix and match. I want a single kit or at least a single manufacturer or series. I want all the lights to look like they go together. Can anyone recommend some products. I do believe I want an 8,000k or 10,000k light. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
Click on some of our sponsors (see links at top of the Forum page) and see what they have to offer. What you refer to as "halos" are commonly called "Angel Eyes"....

· Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,209 Posts
FWIW, when fitting a car with HID lamps, those are normally limited only to the low beams (external projectors), whereas the high beams (internal reflectors) are kept as halogen and in US/Can configuration usually work only as flash-to-pass. The reason being that HID bulbs cannot be switched on/off rapidly without drastically shortening their life and need a few seconds to reach max brightness as well. Also, the HIDs sport a movable shutter that cuts off the upper half of the beam for normal city driving and moves out of the way for highway driving with no oncoming cars. All this is handled automatically by the LCM or light control module in your Bimmer. Since the car came originally with halogens, the LCM needs to be reconfigured/reprogrammed for HID's when they are installed.

As for the foglamps, some people do put HIDs in there too but many of us prefer to keep them with halogens for the same no-fast-on and no-rapid-on/off restrictions. Plus, their position makes them more susceptible to water damage if you get into a deep puddle and given the cost of the bulbs, may be a costly surprise.

Lastly, 8000k or 10,000k would be mostly unusable in regular street cars and probably illegal. The glare from those will piss off all or most oncoming drivers and their light output will be same as the halogens or less. You see, the higher the color temp, the amount of light in lumens that they produce goes way down. On the HIDs put in by BMW, the color temp is 4300K, but most people who retrofit usually stick with 6000K. You can also get the Angel Eyes and the halogen bulbs keyed to that color temp (although the halogen bulbs will produce less light and have a shorter life as result).

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that was a lot of very good information. I think I will start with just the low beams and see how that goes. I was also suprised on your comments regarding the temperature of the bulb. I will stay away from the 8,000k - 10,000k. I had absolutely no idea about reprogramming the LCM. So, you are saying that my car already has a LCM and it needs to be reconfigured? How does one do this? I always thought LED were bolt-on components? I would like to learn more about reprogramming the LCM. I would also like to know if you have a LED brand that you recommend. Can you provide a link? I will tell you that the new lenses I am considering is the 3-D HALO PROJECTOR HEAD LIGHTS. http://www.ebay.com/itm/130566260182?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

· Registered
48 Posts
Wow i didn't even know they made those for e46 but to be honest i would stick to the normal e46 headlight assembly. Umnitza has great ones with great options and everything. I would suggest checking out their website.

umnitza.com

· Registered
7 Posts
i got my 2004 325xi like a month ago, i am looking also for HIDs lights with angel eyes, i am noob, and there is so many options on umnitza.com:
Car Model
Xenon
Car Type
Color
Xenon Fogs
Angel Eyes
Clear Film Protection
Pre-Installed
Bulbs ,
can someone help me with that? :)

· Coconut Pete's paella!
5,412 Posts
Please don't disgrace your car with those POS headlights.

You want a good quality proper setup? Find a set of OEM headlights, buy a good set of Angel Eyes from one of the sponsors, search for the thread by Scott ZHP on how to create a proper harness to operate the solenoid which will allow you to keep your highbeam functioning properly and then pay the dealer $100 to reprogram your car to accept the headlights.

I did this on my 2004 330i and the setup was BULLETPROOF. I was very glad I went the extra mile. That eBay crap is just a horrible idea.

· Site Sponsor
5,199 Posts
Give us a call, sometimes the amount of options can really scare you away but in reality you can go from as little as $350 for a decent set of lights on up to $850 for the top of the line bixenon FXR with Orion V2.

We won't bite:)
call in and ask for Tim.

· Coconut Pete's paella!
5,412 Posts
thanks Coconutpete for ur response :)
can't i just get HIDs bulbs and Angel Eyes set? why do i need a set of OEM headlights?
You can "get" anything you want and put it in your car - it's your car. Just don't expect to buy a $150 pair of "raptor halo dominator super ultra Euro-style" headlights off eBay and have them function and perform like the $2,000 option the bixenons were when your car was new.

The original question called for a "complete solution" and I gave my recommendation on the best "complete solution"

Google the difference between xenon and bi-xenon if you are interested, the OEM approach gives you bixenon headlights where the eBay solution only gives you xenon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.