BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's 2008 E83 X3 has a check engine light on. I know why it's on. There is a small leak in his fuel tank (which is most likely a bad gas cap) and the same emissions code keeps popping up. I can read and reset the code with my generic OBD2 scan tool, but I wanted to see if I could do this with my BMW tools programs, and I also wanted to see if the explanation of the code is more specific using the software.

I have INPA 5.0.6 and have seen videos on using INPA to read and reset check engine codes. When I select the E83 chassis, a window pops up, but there is no "Functional Jobs" option on the right side to click on to get to the next window to read codes. There is just a list of components on the left side.

When I click on any other chassis option in INPA, there is a "Functional Jobs" option or a "Ident / read-clear error / info memory" option. Even without the car being connected, I can advance through the options and get to the point where I would be able to read codes for that chassis.

Why would my INPA not have this function for the E83 chassis? Am I missing some files? How can I fix this?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
INPA can't read OBD2. Inpa reads DBUS. They use the same socket and interface but they are not the same messages.

Your car has N52 and they upgraded the ECU. It uses K-CAN and your K-Line adaptor is too old.

Buy a Creator C110 or C310.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should have worded my first post as follows:

Why would my INPA program not have a "functional jobs" option for an E83 chassis, but it has this option when any other chassis (other than E46) is selected?

How can I fix this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Your INPA configuration file is missing the entry for E83 - in your INPA/SGDAT folder right click the msv80.ipo file and open with the inpaload application in the bin folder. You should be able to read out the DME directly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts