BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to take my wheels off so I can clean them. I put the bmw jack under and lifted it (used the jacking point), took off the hub cap and tried to go at the lug nuts. They won't budge. I feel like I'm going to break something. Am I doing something wrong? (I'm trying to turn it counter-clock wise. i.e. left loosey, righty tighty).

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
it's a standard thread (lefty loosey). They should be at 90lb/ft, i bet someone overtightened them.

·
Registered
793 Posts
lex89 said:
I'm trying to take my wheels off so I can clean them. I put the bmw jack under and lifted it (used the jacking point), took off the hub cap and tried to go at the lug nuts. They won't budge. I feel like I'm going to break something. Am I doing something wrong? (I'm trying to turn it counter-clock wise. i.e. left loosey, righty tighty).
Get yourself a breaker bar and a 17mm "deep" socket at Sears. When the lug bolts are that over tightened, you need a lot of leverage to loosen them. The other option is to purchase a "gorilla bar" lug wrench.

Hope this helps....JL

·
Registered
456 Posts
If I really need to break something loose, I use my 18" breakbar and extend it using a floor jack handle. It gives me another 32" of extension. I had to use this method when I was breaking the lug bolts loose on the BMW. It works well on FWD axle bolts too!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I nearly broke my hand, but I did it using the BMW wrench. (I really did think I broke something right after I did the last one. They were soooo tight!)

I popped the wheel off (just did the front driver's side--I'm cleaning them and this one's always the dirtiest).

If you like clean wheels, don't look at the back of a wheel on a 7 year-old car that got washed once in a blue moon and detailed twice in its lifetime. It's terrrible.

I started off by spraying it with EO All wheel and tire cleaner. I scrubbed a bit and power-washed off. This did some damage, but there was a lot that was caked on REALLY bad (I worked on the back of the wheel only so far).

The next time I tried to get it off by putting the powerwasher close (within a few inches). No changes for the most part. I took a 1/4 piece of Clay Magic clay and tried that--scrubbing hard. No luck.

Finally I went to my last resort-- a brillow pad. I know I know, but I had to. It was worse without the pad, and I figured if I had to polish I might as well be polishing away scratches that are harder to see then black gunk.

It looks amazing now. Shiny silver (comparatively, it's probably pretty scratched in the sun), but I don't care because it took 20 mins of brillow pad scrubbing (tiring scrubbing). I'll save the *really* strenuous work for the part of the wheel people see a little more often.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Now wax your wheels and they'll stay clean longer and be easier to clean the next time. I like using spray wax but any will do.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
lex89 said:
it's easier if you only jacked it up slightly with wheel still touching the ground and then loosen them slightly. you don't want the flimsy bmw jack to tip over while trying to loosen the bolts. :eek: once you've loosen each one retighten just a bit but just enough to not require a lot of force. after all five then jack up the wheel fully.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that's what I did. I was pulling the car forward and I figured it'd come off the jack so I put it down to loosen them and then picked it up to pull the wheel off.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New problem. The first wheel (front driver side) came off easy once I got the lug nuts off. The second wheel took a little bit of pull (rusted stuck, but I got it off and cleaned it fine). Now I'm doing the rear passenger side wheel and I can't for the life of me get it off the car. I'm afraid I'm going to pull the car off the jack. Any suggestions?

P.S. To loosen the lug nuts I put the wrench so it is on the nut and the handle is parallel to the ground. Then just stomp it down a little bit with your foot. Very easy to get them loose :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Little update..
The car fell off the jack while I was on here. The plastic part the goes into the jacking point broke and the car was sitting on the wheel (at least it came off :) ). So I called AAA and they sent a guy over in like a half hour and he jacked it up and put the wheel back on. Turns out the brake dust shield is bent now, and he said it would probably make some noise. I took pictures of anything so I'm going to try to get my dealer with this one.

Their jack, their fault. Right?

·
Registered
221 Posts
lex89 said:
Little update..
The car fell off the jack while I was on here. The plastic part the goes into the jacking point broke and the car was sitting on the wheel (at least it came off :) ). So I called AAA and they sent a guy over in like a half hour and he jacked it up and put the wheel back on. Turns out the brake dust shield is bent now, and he said it would probably make some noise. I took pictures of anything so I'm going to try to get my dealer with this one.

Their jack, their fault. Right?
Sorry it fell off...as I was reading down the thread I was even thinking "man, I hope the jack doesn't move or fail, that would be bad...". Hope all that is wrong is the dust shield...good luck with the dealer. My guess - they will attribute it to "operator error".

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
The BMW jack is good only for changing tires out in the middle of nowhere. For work around the house, purchase a better floor jack.

However, you'd be in the same pickle with a stuck wheel out in the middle of nowhere so I'm glad you worked them loose. Spread some anit-seize lubricant around the face of the hub and you won't have any problems in the future.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the tip

Any suggestions for a jack that I can keep in the trunk for wheel changes in the middle of nowhere too :)

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
With anti-seize on, you should be fine with the BMW jack...but I guess you need a new one now??

·
Registered
137 Posts
lex89 said:
Loosen the lugs before you jack the car up! Instead of using your hand, used your foot. DO NOT tak the lugs completely off. Just enough that when you jack the car up, it would be easy to take them off.

·
what does this button do?
869 Posts
i'm trying to take my front wheels off for the first time, and i've gotten the car jacked up and the 5 lug bolts out but I can't get the either of the front wheels off.

i have a 97 540i with the stock multi-spoke wheels. is their an additional fastner on these wheels or should I break out the mallet?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First off, chock the wheels in front. What jack stand are you using? DO NOT ROCK THE CAR when you try to take the wheels off. Yeah you're going to have to bring out the mallet. Just take it easy and move in a circle. When you're done, get some anti-seize or at least wd-40 the area before you put the wheels back on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts