Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i have a Dinan Stage 2 tune done to my 17 X5M will that effect the factory warranty? Thank you

·
Registered
12,589 Posts
If i have a Dinan Stage 2 tune done to my 17 X5M will that effect the factory warranty? Thank you
Do check with Dinan of coverage policy, which basically says if BMW denies/voids factory warranty, Dinan will pick up the remaining terms of factory warranty.

"If your vehicle is currently covered by the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty, Dinan products are warranted for the remaining term of the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty. The manufacturer’s new car warranty is limited to 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers in Canada), commencing on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed in-service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier. Dinan’s warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold."

https://www.dinancars.com/dinan-warranty/

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,536 Posts
Yes, BMW will not honor their warranty.

Dinan sucks, They did yearsa ago and still do, just to be clear.

They used to have a warranty that replaced BMWs.

Now they only warrant their part and any part ***8220;directly***8221; damaged by a failure of their part. So if their part doesn***8217;t fail and causes your engine to blow up, nothing. If BMW fails to honor the warranty due to a tune, nothing.

Also, Dinan used to get their mods tested for emissions purposes. No longer. You are violating USA and CA laws in you install a tune.

Back in the day, Steve charged a ton for his mods but at least he stood behind his work. Those days are long gone.

Oh, people will claim ***8220;The Moss Magnuissen act requires that the mfg prove the mod caused the failure***8221;. LOL. Sure, if you have $50-75k to take a case to court, to find experts, etc etc. And in the end, BMW will have experts with data that should failure curves for power outputs, concluding the mod places the car into a configuration that led to the failure. Its an utterly impossible case to press. The only people claiming moss magnuss protects you are idiots and people selling mods.

Just be a big boy, assume there is no warranty and mod away.

;)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,536 Posts
Do check with Dinan of coverage policy, which basically says if BMW denies/voids factory warranty, Dinan will pick up the remaining terms of factory warranty.

"If your vehicle is currently covered by the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty, Dinan products are warranted for the remaining term of the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty. The manufacturer’s new car warranty is limited to 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers in Canada), commencing on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed in-service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier. Dinan’s warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold."

you are wrong, friend.

Read it again. Only the DINAN PRODUCT is warrranted. Nothing else!

You are thinking of the old times.... bad advice.

·
Registered
12,589 Posts
And in the end, BMW will have experts with data that should failure curves for power outputs, concluding the mod places the car into a configuration that led to the failure. Its an utterly impossible case to press.
Starting F-chassis(and probably more so for G-chassis), the ECU has more extensive logging than in the past, so even a piggyback tune can be detected.

So for those that want to preserve factory warranty, a prudent tact is to keep the car stock.

·
Registered
12,589 Posts
you are wrong, friend.

Read it again. Only the DINAN PRODUCT is warrranted. Nothing else!

You are thinking of the old times.... bad advice.
The advice given is:

"Do check with Dinan of coverage policy, which basically says if BMW denies/voids factory warranty, Dinan will pick up the remaining terms of factory warranty."

And the Dinan warranty explicitly states "Dinan products", so that is that.:p

Some can dig out Dinan warranty wordings from yesteryears, my guess is that the wordings are similar, and Dinan did deny warranty even back in the good old days for various reasons, e.g. this guy in 2009 got denied due to track use.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/...Need-335i-turbos-rebuilt-upgraded-whom-to-use

So as stated previously, best way to preserve factory warranty is to remain stock.

·
Registered
12,589 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Just be a big boy, assume there is no warranty and mod away.

;)
Good advice. I have had a Dinan Sport Tuner plug in on my 2017,and then 2020 MINI. I assume if something goes bump, it's on me.

Some pop for the more expensive Dinan tune products, believing that the Dinan warranty, which runs parallel, in theory, to the factory warranty from BMW, covers.

If BMW denies a warranty claim because of an aftermarket add-on (and there are clear bulletins where BMW flatly states they offer no warranty coverage if after market stuff is added to their machines) after all the finger pointing, Dinan might step up, or they might bounce it back to BMW, claiming their tune didn't blow the car.

DO NOT PURCHASE DINAN with the belief you are covered under warranty. Purchase Dinan, or any other tune, because you want the tune and are willing to take the chance.

Buyer Beware.

·
Registered
12,589 Posts
Good advice. I have had a Dinan Sport Tuner plug in on my 2017,and then 2020 MINI. I assume if something goes bump, it's on me.
Dinan website is upfront about Dinan Sport:

"DINANTRONICS Sport does not carry the factory matching warranty that Dinan is known for. DINANTRONICS Sport's warranty is a 1-year product only warranty that does not cover consequential damages or labor reimbursement."

So there is no need to assume there is any coverage, as Dinan states that there is none except for 1-yr poduct only warranty. :p

Plus Dinan Sport plug in is also not emission legal, so it is a definite no-no for my N26 with 15 years/150000 miles emission warranty!

·
Registered
12,589 Posts
Also, Dinan used to get their mods tested for emissions purposes. No longer. You are violating USA and CA laws in you install a tune.

Back in the day, Steve charged a ton for his mods but at least he stood behind his work. Those days are long gone.
Dinan still charges a ton for their mods, e.g. for OP's 2017 X5M, Dinan stage 2 is $2500, and emission legal "pending"(?!?):

"Designed to be 50 State Emissions legal; CARB EO pending."

https://www.dinancars.com/products/...inantronics-elite-stage-2/parts/D440-1647-ST2

In contrast, Dinan Sport plug-in is $250 without manufacturer matching warranty and not emission legal.

Interestingly, one recent Dinan CARB EO is for E-series(e.g. 2012), approved in 2018. It looks like CARB EOs are getting tougher to get than in the past too.

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-176-51.pdf

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,536 Posts
Dinan still charges a ton for their mods, e.g. for OP's 2017 X5M, Dinan stage 2 is $2500, and emission legal "pending"(?!?):

"Designed to be 50 State Emissions legal; CARB EO pending."

https://www.dinancars.com/products/...inantronics-elite-stage-2/parts/D440-1647-ST2

In contrast, Dinan Sport plug-in is $250 without manufacturer matching warranty and not emission legal.

Interestingly, one recent Dinan CARB EO is for E-series(e.g. 2012), approved in 2018. It looks like CARB EOs are getting tougher to get than in the past too.

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-176-51.pdf
So to make it clear for the OP...Dinan no longer provides their ‘continuation of factory warranty’

And when I click on your link, emissions, it states

This part is legal for sale or use on Racing Use Only Vehicles

The following vehicles are considered Racing Use Only Vehicles:

Racing Use Only Vehicles are vehicles that are used exclusively for competition that are not registered and that may never be used on the street
WARNING: It is against the law to install this part on an Emissions Controlled Vehicle
Or am I going insane? Dinan doesn’t seem to be wasting money on carb certs. Is it your interpretation that it is just taking years now?

·
Registered
12,589 Posts
So to make it clear for the OP...Dinan no longer provides their ‘continuation of factory warranty’

And when I click on your link, emissions, it states

Or am I going insane? Dinan doesn’t seem to be wasting money on carb certs. Is it your interpretation that it is just taking years now?
CARB has various searchable database for approved EOs(Executive Orders), e.g.

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

But there is no search query for pending/submitted ones, so it is hard to dispute/rebuke Dinan's claim of ""Designed to be 50 State Emissions legal; CARB EO pending." :dunno:

As far as "continuation of factory warranty", the expensive Dinan tunes(stage 1/2 for OP's 2017 X5M) that cost $2k and up comes with "Factory matching 4yr/50k mile new car warranty", and Dinan's warranty page says the following, which sounds pretty much the same wordings as in good old days.

My interpretation is that, just like in good old days, the best chance to get "Factory matching 4yr/50k mile new car warranty" honored is probably through a BMW dealer that is also a Dinan dealer/installer.

"The Authorized Dinan Dealer will, without charge for parts or labor, repair or replace the defective Dinan component(s), as well as any original vehicle manufacturer’s component(s) that may have been directly affected by a Dinan component, using new or authorized remanufactured parts. The decision to repair or replace said parts is at the sole discretion of Dinan and/or the original vehicle manufacturer. Parts for which replacements are supplied under this limited warranty become the property of Dinan and/or the original vehicle manufacturer. In all cases, a reasonable period of time must be allowed for warranty repairs to be completed after the vehicle is delivered to the Authorized Dinan Dealer."

·
Registered
12,589 Posts
Actually Dinan also got CARB EO on stage 1/2 tunes N55 turbo in F-chassis, so it would seem "EO pending" does mean Dinan has submitted CARB EO application for that product.

"EO pending" also may imply a higher chance of OEM(e.g. BMW) denying factory warranty, but Dinan appears to counteract by charging more for "EO pending" than "EO issued"(emission legal) tunes, likely to cover its warranty costs.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Dinan used to be based in Northern California. They moved out to a southern state.

The Dinan warranty statements are clear. That is not the issue.

The reason 'buyer beware' is prudent with any tune, from any manufacturer, is that if something major or catastrophic happens with the drive train or engine management equipment/software, it is subject to interpretation as to which entity becomes responsible. Both Dinan and BMWNA can deny any claim and then the costly and time-consuming burden falls to the end user to pursue a claim, while the broken Bimmer sits.

BMWNA is on the record, in written bulletins, that aftermarket tunes are a no-no, so they have clearly anticipated the possibility of warranty claims and have built themselves an out. So the way this could unfold is that the claim falls to Dinan, and then Dinan determines it was a BMW part failure not related to the Dinan, and the ping pong game begins, while the car sits unrepaired and the customer has to lawyer up.

Some folks attempt to mitigate the risk by having a BMW dealer install their Dinan. That might add some leverage, if the customer has something in writing from the BMW dealer indicating the installation and the equipment is guaranteed by the installing dealer, or something like that, which would be difficult to get.

As I said, I have a Dinan box on my car. I understood the clearly-stated limits on the warranty for my unit. I also understood the availability of a more costly Dinan tune product which carries a more comprehensive warranty. In either case, I would stick with the guidance that, if one adds an aftermarket device that alters engine/drive train performance, the risk is on the end user, regardless of implied promises contained in warranty language that is only as good as one's ability to pursue a claim.

But yes, the tunes are fun that you can feel. I just bloodied my fingers, plugged the damn thing in myself, and motored, grinning ear to ear.

Buyer Beware.

·
Registered
12,589 Posts
The Dinan warranty statements are clear. That is not the issue.

The reason 'buyer beware' is prudent with any tune, from any manufacturer, is that if something major or catastrophic happens with the drive train or engine management equipment/software, it is subject to interpretation as to which entity becomes responsible. Both Dinan and BMWNA can deny any claim and then the costly and time-consuming burden falls to the end user to pursue a claim, while the broken Bimmer sits.

BMWNA is on the record, in written bulletins, that aftermarket tunes are a no-no, so they have clearly anticipated the possibility of warranty claims and have built themselves an out. So the way this could unfold is that the claim falls to Dinan, and then Dinan determines it was a BMW part failure not related to the Dinan, and the ping pong game begins, while the car sits unrepaired and the customer has to lawyer up.

Some folks attempt to mitigate the risk by having a BMW dealer install their Dinan. That might add some leverage, if the customer has something in writing from the BMW dealer indicating the installation and the equipment is guaranteed by the installing dealer, or something like that, which would be difficult to get.
Pay to play has been the case for any tune from any manufacturer(and regardless of matching warranty or otherwise) since the beginning of time, and some folks with Dinan tune have luck getting BMW dealers(may be also Dinan dealer, or may be not) to address failures under warranty(BMW's or Dinan's if included with product), some folks have no luck.

As suggested, the best way to preserve factory warranty is to remain stock. E.g. my decision was to not risk factory 15 years/150000 miles emission warranty for the Dinan Sport plug in which is emission illegal and no factory matching warranty.

Having said that, there were several comments on this thread that imply Dinan no longer apply for CARB EO, or Dinan products do not carry factory matching warranty(till 4 years/50k miles), etc, etc, those comments can be confusing to OP and need to be clarified.

In summary, Dinan has a stage 2 tune product for OP's 2017 X5M that has CARB EO pending but not yet emission legal, and factory matching 4 yrs/50k miles new car warranty.

OP's question of how this specific Dinan stage 2 tune affects factory warranty is answered by Dinan's warranty wordings. How much luck OP can have in subsequent claims from Dinan/BMW warranties is yet to be seen.:)

·
Registered
12,589 Posts
Correction, so Dinan does get CARB EO for my N26 engine too(EO#D-176-42), both stage 1 and 2 tunes, $1200 and $1300 respectively.

These also have factory matching warranties, but the last of N26 from MY16 are also out of new car warranty anyway.

Dinan has no product for B46/B58 that gets CARB EO yet.

·
Registered
2018 X5M
1,712 Posts
As you have a MY 2017, how much longer are you covered under BMW warranty? The New BMW Warranty program covers four years or 50,000 miles (whichever comes first). I assume your nearing the end of warranty period.

I’m not aware of known issues with the S63, unlike the S55 spun crank hub issue.

At the end of the day, you gotta pay to play. As it has already been pointed out, the ‘new’ Dinan warranty is useless. Save your money, consider a Bootmod3 flash tune, Openflash Tune, etc.

·
Registered
2018 X5M
1,712 Posts
Since all these piggybacks are emission illegal and no warranty, is $250 Dinan Sport a viable option within the group?
Around 2+ years ago, flash tuning via OBDII became available. The S63 has 2 ECU’s (one for each bank of the V8). Flash tune is the way to go via OBDII, as you can revert back to stock. Some tunes can even reset the flash counter, but a BMW NA field tech can extract data for a warranty claim to void. I believe the new ECU’s have new software to prevent OBDII flashing, not sure if the previous ECU’s are being updated with the software.

·
Registered
12,589 Posts
Around 2+ years ago, flash tuning via OBDII became available. The S63 has 2 ECU’s (one for each bank of the V8). Flash tune is the way to go via OBDII, as you can revert back to stock. Some tunes can even reset the flash counter, but a BMW NA field tech can extract data for a warranty claim to void. I believe the new ECU’s have new software to prevent OBDII flashing, not sure if the previous ECU’s are being updated with the software.
Touching ECU these days can be tricky, as the EWS is matched to DME's ISN, so any mod can risk no start.

Also dealers have been diligent looking for mods, e.g. my F30 had false alarm triggers, the techs pulled off pillar A panels and roof liners looking for spliced wires and clues(none found on stock car), and left broken tabs on the floor as bread crumbs. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts