BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
My car hasn't been driven for about 2 years now and has been started up regularly for oil to recirculate. What would you guys recommend me doing for maintenance once I get her back on the streets for daily use?

·
Restoration Enthusiast
104 Posts
My first question would be how many miles are on the car? Fresh gas would be a must as well as an oil and filter change. Replace the air and cabin filters, have the battery tested, check the condition of the coolant and prepare to flush it. Expect there to be some flat spotting on the tires. You may want to replace the tires if there are flat spots and if not, at least have them balanced. You may have to reinitialize the TPMS, so prepare for that quickie. I would go through the brakes and replace the pads and rotors if there is rust buildup on the rotors. I have read that BMW rotors should not be machined. You will also want to have the brake fluid flushed when servicing the brakes. I wouldn't take any chances of moisture buildup in the fluid. I would also take the time to service the caliper brackets and check the parking brake. I would then check for any abnormal leakage and run the A/C and heat. Cycle all of the electronics to ensure everything is in working order and that corrosion did not build up or mice did not make their way into the car. That's just personally what I would do.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
My car hasn't been driven for about 2 years now and has been started up regularly for oil to recirculate. What would you guys recommend me doing for maintenance once I get her back on the streets for daily use?
Depends on how it was maintained - what was done while down?

The battery for instance has internal resistance and will die/sulfate left to itself. Something like THIS should've been done, at least periodically.

If fluids over 2 yrs old, prudent to change 'em all as you don't spec how long they were in use before layup. Brake fluid recommended every 2 years regardless. Coolant might not need changing, but you must ask yourself....do I feel lucky?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All fluids were changed from the dealership prior to storing it for 2 years. I was thinking just oil and brake fluid change. Or whatever it maintenance indicator tells me. Thank you for the reply though. I really appreciate it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts