BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing spark plugs and coils & oil change tomorrow along with installing a new MAF, but MAF hasn't come in the mail yet.

I was going to reset adaptions after the tune up, and since I never did this before even after its been tuned, Im looking forwarded for some new power (big difference) since im running on bad/old coils which Im positive its been holding back on the power I "should" have from the recent tune i've gotten.

But I have a question about the adaptions, I wont be able to install the new MAF until monday evening, should I go ahead and do the work but wait to reset adaptions until I get the new MAF, or will it be ok to reset adaptions after the tune up, and then install new MAF later on without resetting adaptions.

also, im thinking about gaping my plugs to .30 instead of NGK's pre gap .44

would that make a difference on the v8 performance wise ? even by a little ?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Doing spark plugs and coils & oil change tomorrow along with installing a new MAF, but MAF hasn't come in the mail yet.

I was going to reset adaptions after the tune up, and since I never did this before even after its been tuned, Im looking forwarded for some new power (big difference) since im running on bad/old coils which Im positive its been holding back on the power I "should" have from the recent tune i've gotten.

But I have a question about the adaptions, I wont be able to install the new MAF until monday evening, should I go ahead and do the work but wait to reset adaptions until I get the new MAF, or will it be ok to reset adaptions after the tune up, and then install new MAF later on without resetting adaptions.
I would wait. If you want the DME to learn new adaptations it's best to have correct readings on all sensors. If the MAF old sensor is faulty in any way it will not give optimal readings and adaptations will be off.

also, im thinking about gaping my plugs to .30 instead of NGK's pre gap .44

would that make a difference on the v8 performance wise ? even by a little ?
The gap is actually 0.044 on factory spec'd spark plugs. I don't recommend reducing factory gap but rather inspect your spark plugs every 10k miles or so. If you want to experiment with gapping, I would not reduce it by more than 0.010 as a general rule. That would make the final gap 0.034.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would wait. If you want the DME to learn new adaptations it's best to have correct readings on all sensors. If the MAF old sensor is faulty in any way it will not give optimal readings and adaptations will be off.

The gap is actually 0.044 on factory spec'd spark plugs. I don't recommend reducing factory gap but rather inspect your spark plugs every 10k miles or so. If you want to experiment with gapping, I would not reduce it by more than 0.010 as a general rule. That would make the final gap 0.034.

current MAF is fine not faulty i just wanted to replace it to have clear of mind. with that being said clearing adaptions before the new MAF should be ok?

and i’ll try out the 0.034 to be on the safe side.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Under the lift arms
12,964 Posts
what you doing with the old one?

I wouldnt change the gap..

I also wouldn't change the maf..

Id leave the maf, and change the plugs.. There is no adaption reset required.. IT will adjust it self almost instantly

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what you doing with the old one?

I wouldnt change the gap..

I also wouldn't change the maf..

Id leave the maf, and change the plugs.. There is no adaption reset required.. IT will adjust it self almost instantly

keeping the old one as a spare... incase magically something happens to the new one lol

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd leave the maf alone if your not having issues. It would suck if the new maf you received was faulty. As far as the plugs go what is your reason for wanting to reduce the gap? A smaller gap won't produce as strong of a spark as a wider gap will and could possibly cause misfires. Narrow gaped plugs also foul easier.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd leave the maf alone if your not having issues. It would suck if the new maf you received was faulty. As far as the plugs go what is your reason for wanting to reduce the gap? A smaller gap won't produce as strong of a spark as a wider gap will and could possibly cause misfires. Narrow gaped plugs also foul easier.
well my mpg is broken lol so i was hoping a new MAF could do me justice a little, and overall just wanted a new MAF, not throwing the old one away tho incase the new one is faulty.

so a wider gap would be better than a smaller one ?

so would .054 - .055 be good ?

·
Registered
995 Posts
well my mpg is broken lol so i was hoping a new MAF could do me justice a little, and overall just wanted a new MAF, not throwing the old one away tho incase the new one is faulty.

so a wider gap would be better than a smaller one ?

so would .054 - .055 be good ?
Wider gap requires more voltage through the coils and spark plug to produce a spark which generally means more heat. It may also take a tad longer to produce spark.

Narrower gap, as l1tech said, will produce weaker spark because less voltage is required for spark to be produced. This may cause issues with cold starts but in high revvs (if you drive like a racer) it's actually more beneficial because spark will be produced more consistently (easily) at each stroke, actually reducing the possibility of misfires.

If you are looking for better performance, and I'm not talking about increasing power but rather avoiding misfires at specific ranges, widening the gap will most likely create misfires and running rich condition at higher revs.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wider gap requires more voltage through the coils and spark plug to produce a spark which generally means more heat. It may also take a tad longer to produce spark.

Narrower gap, as l1tech said, will produce weaker spark because less voltage is required for spark to be produced. This may cause issues with cold starts but in high revvs (if you drive like a racer) it's actually more beneficial because spark will be produced more consistently (easily) at each stroke, actually reducing the possibility of misfires.

If you are looking for better performance, and I'm not talking about increasing power but rather avoiding misfires at specific ranges, widening the gap will most likely create misfires and running rich condition at higher revs.
so basically im looking for the racer type, i do spirited drives more than anything, so i would need to close the gap for that right? not to mention its a tune on the car so would that make a difference in the gap that I need ?

im ready to gap them right now, they're in front of me

·
Registered
995 Posts
so basically im looking for the racer type, i do spirited drives more than anything, so i would need to close the gap for that right? not to mention its a tune on the car so would that make a difference in the gap that I need ?

im ready to gap them right now, they're in front of me
Personally, I would leave them at 0.044. What does your tuner (AMR) recommend? If there is no mention of changing original gap you may not need to do that. On the other hand, if you have time and some cash for proper dyno you might be inclined to try things out as you go. What do the old plugs look like? Pull a couple and share some pictures. A used spark plug can tell a lot about the condition of your mixture and other handy information.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personally, I would leave them at 0.044. What does your tuner (AMR) recommend? If there is no mention of changing original gap you may not need to do that. On the other hand, if you have time and some cash for proper dyno you might be inclined to try things out as you go. What do the old plugs look like? Pull a couple and share some pictures. A used spark plug can tell a lot about the condition of your mixture and other handy information.
will do going to take them out no in 15 min

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
No need to change the gap on the plugs unless you are adding squeeze or upping the squeeze. The plug pictured looks awesome, I wouldn't even change them if it were me

·
Registered
995 Posts
she’s running much better now definitely feel an improvement with new plugs and coils plugs were gapped at 0.035 no cold start issues

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
I was expecting this outcome. Although I was skeptic about it a bit due to the N62 engine having many sensors and adjustment points for air, fuel and spark. Would be cool to see dyno numbers again to see if things improved.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was expecting this outcome. Although I was skeptic about it a bit due to the N62 engine having many sensors and adjustment points for air, fuel and spark. Would be cool to see dyno numbers again to see if things improved.

yea, i was trying to save up for the performance coils but i’ll push that back after i do a dyno to see where i’m at now. i’ll do a dyno in a couple weeks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts