BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how often should i do a tune up? i have a 2002 bmw 325ci, bought it 2 years ago n havent done one since then...should i do one now? thanks

·
.... Wha? ....
255 Posts
Everyone has there own opinion on when you should actually do it, I myself am one of those people that does alot of checks every time I change my oil, for example; I check the plugs, air filter, cabin filter, power steering brake fluid. If needed I go from there. The fact that you just got a used car and drove it for two years, I would have personally done one as soon as I got the car, I dont trust any other persons work besides my own, and it lets me see how that car has been treated just prior. If I were you, i would look at how many miles it has, and go from there. Do you have service records. At least change the oil. If you cant find proof that it hasnt had anything done recently, change plugs, fuel filter, maybe oxygen sensors, quality air filter ( dont ask me which one because this is like asking which oil to use) cabin filter, check the color of power steering fluid, check the state of your coolant, put a new oil filter, inspect the belts, maybe new headlights or other running lights. Have fun

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,210 Posts
Newer cars don't so much get "tune-ups" but rather they have a maintenance schedule. If you search for "maintenance" by using the search function you should find what you are looking for.

Mechanics LOVE it when someone walk in and ask for a tune-up. I must hear one person a week here at work talking about how they just paid $$$ for a "tune-up" while I chucke and think to myself "That's an expensive set of plugs and an air filter".

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
Like CoconutPete explains, these cars do not have tuneups. In official BMW-speak, you have Inspection I and Inspection II's, which alternate at approx. 30k mile intervals. Take a look at the Inspection I/Inspection II section of the Wiki for specific details on what is done in each. All of the items are uncomplicated DIY tasks you can carry out yourself and save a bundle instead if taking to dealer. Only reason for dealer work would be for a car still within some form of warranty, if at all.

Note also that some of the service intervals officially endorsed by BMW are patently ridiculous and are done so the brand can appear to compete favorably with others. For instance, changing the engine oil every 30K miles, no matter how good the oil is, will cause engine issues on the long run. But by the time that happens, the warranty will have expired and BMW will be off the hook.

·
.... Wha? ....
255 Posts
I second that... the 30k mile oil and the lifetime transmission fluid is utter garbage... I dont care if your a precision Bavarian automobile, oil is not special or magic because you are...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 1999 740i that I purchased from the auction here in NYC. Does anyone know where I can get a tune up that will NOT break me.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,281 Posts
I have a 1999 740i that I purchased from the auction here in NYC. Does anyone know where I can get a tune up that will NOT break me.
While at first glance it would appear that you can read and comprehend the English language, the nature of your question (given the context of this thread) completely defies that assumption.

Nah`mean ????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts