Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Blocking them will cause turbo compressor surge and stall, adding additional stress on the turbos and charge pipe, and if anything, reduce performance. Also, your custom cold air intake is really a warm air intake. The stock design already draws in air from outside of the engine bay. Your modification is now pulling in warm air from the engine bay. Not that it really matters too much since the air is going to pass through the intercooler regardless. The primary purpose of replacing the stock filter box with dual cone filters is to increase air flow and filtering but that small filter you have on the front turbo will actually restrict flow.

Hopefully you didn't just buy some random BOV and install it vs. one designed to work with the N54. Also, where's the vacuum line to the BOV? Did you just take the photos before attaching it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took off the three section rubber hose and i plugged the holes with plastic plugs. The recirc holes arw plugged with rubber caps. The ebay bov is attached with radiator hose thats been clamped amd i tried different spring settings.
On a soft spring the bov would make a whistling sound under part throttle the entire time and turbo would not build pressure. On a hard setting, it would open only at full throttle for a split second and the turbo pressure feels normal or even more than normal. Car is putting a lot of power down and at wot in 1st gear im getting a thunking or clicking noise that seems to come from the front , like bmws triple turn signal but a triple clicking sound from the wheel area. I thought it coould be the front suspension lifting since i have a two stage coilover with 34k springs and helper springs. The helper springs could lift easily under hard accel. I did replqce the front end with ebay control arms links and tie rods (150$ for all parts, did work myself - i checked several times after hard drives and nothings broken). Im hoping its not the engine moving around. This e60 with over 100k miles and with my mods and how stiff the suspension is and the oil leaks and clicking sound, there is virtually no resale value.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
But please understand the car looks good and does break necks
Looks good outside, but when I see pvc pipe for an intake I just cringe. You literally just make it worse. Please stop shopping for car parts at home depot. Nothing wrong with some cheaper ebay parts, but at least make sure you are installing them correctly. Not torquing anything to spec and just winging it will make those control arms just fail in 6 months. It's not something to brag about.

·
Under the lift arms
12,949 Posts
This car will be in the junk yard this year

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks is the #1 reason i bought this car.
Since e60s are rare nowdays, laypeople dont know what it is, the styling is contemporary so it basically looks better than a late model bmw which imo (the 535 esp) looks fat.

Also the newer bimmers with the straight cut hood looks dumb, and the 2019 models with the connected grills and acura tail lights will take getting used to.

Anyway, this car is a dime is my point.

I appreciate the comment that ebay parts are ok. I was worried about them failing on the highway which was risky, but ive inspected them several times and they arw holding up. In fact, control arms and tie rods are basic anybody can make those. As far as not using a torque wrench, why would that cause the parts to fail? Either they stay on, or they come loose. Isnt that the test? I doubt they are overtorqued since they were all hand tightened.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I appreciate the comment that ebay parts are ok. I was worried about them failing on the highway which was risky, but ive inspected them several times and they arw holding up. In fact, control arms and tie rods are basic anybody can make those. As far as not using a torque wrench, why would that cause the parts to fail? Either they stay on, or they come loose. Isnt that the test? I doubt they are overtorqued since they were all hand tightened.
Did you remember to preload the suspension before tightening things like the control arms? You can't tighten them with the suspension hanging down or the bushings will tear and fail. You have to do it with the suspension at ride height -- either by lowering the car onto the ground before tightening them up or jacking up the suspension to normal ride height.

·
beemlyfe
683 Posts
My gosh, usually people should be proud to show what's under the hood, you should be ashamed. Truly very ugly to see. Regardless, if you have a BOV installed, you should block both diverter valve ports.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yessir. Did preload- that was an important detail.

As far as the home depot plumbing and cheapo bov, Just experimenting but not sure if theres any improvement with the filters being in the corner by the grill vs right by the engine. Maybe more of a difference in the summer?

May go back to stock dci setup.

Trying to see if i can get more power by raising the pressure at which valve opens.

I do notice there more lag the more volume there is in the chargepipe due to hoses and ****.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The dci setup is fine. In the end the engine bay will get hot especially in stop and go traffic. Heat soak will happen and don***8217;t forget the air's next stop are the turbos which are connected to the exhaust manifold. Needless to say between that and the compression of the air it***8217;s going to heat up. Having a larger capacity and efficient fmic will help cool down the charged air temps. Also the factory dv's work just fine and changing to a random bov or blocking the holes will not add power but in fact probably damage the turbos. If you want to add power get things back to factory with the dci's and look at doing a MHD, JB4 or Cobb tune which will give you a nice bump in power. Only caveat is the increase in power will expose any weaknesses or deficiencies in the engine components, ie spark plugs, coils, carbon buildup, vacuum tube integrity, wastegate wear.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Yessir. Did preload- that was an important detail.

As far as the home depot plumbing and cheapo bov, Just experimenting but not sure if theres any improvement with the filters being in the corner by the grill vs right by the engine. Maybe more of a difference in the summer?

May go back to stock dci setup.

Trying to see if i can get more power by raising the pressure at which valve opens.

I do notice there more lag the more volume there is in the chargepipe due to hoses and ****.
Contrary to what most on here have to say, I say, good for you man! You experiment and observe if there are changes. I don't blame you for trying either. Car looks good, by the way! Alpine white is one of my favorite colors.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The quality of the steel is the only concern. I've had cheap Chinese wrenches break on my hand. If poor quality steel (or poor pouring technique that creates internal porosity) was used in the control arms, a pothole could compromise the integrity or break the arm or tie rods.

Nothing wrong with buying Ebay items, I once replaced the Xenon lights in my Maxima with cheap ones from Ebay and they never failed in 4 years until I got rid of the car. You might be fine with the arms and tie rods but, in the future, you might want to analyze your risks with certain components, especially if they put you in danger in case of catastrophic failure. We live and learn ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts