BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
Forced induction on these cars, done properly, requires a budget of at least $10,000....is your wallet ready for a hit of that size ?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
You need to bring the entire rest of the car up to full-strength before sticking any major power-adders in it....cooling system, brakes, suspension, and reinforcing the rear subframe area. Are you aware that these cars (especially coupes) had major problems with rear subframes tearing away from the body shell ? And that there was a huge Class Action Lawsuit as a result of this problem ?

Here`s one example:

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the advice I was not aware of that major issue, I'll have my mechanic see what he can do to make sure everything is up to strength before I install

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,717 Posts
You're going to need to spend extra money on larger injectors, dyno tuning, ensuring everything is protected from heat, a new exhaust system (single 3" will be fine), and probably get yourself a limited slip differential to more effectively put power down to the ground.

Also, looking at CX Racing's website, they show turbo kits for M52 engines only... nothing for the M54. With that said, your kit may or may not work. In addition to that, the actual turbocharger is not guaranteed to work. All it takes is for the impeller to be out of balance by 0.001" and your turbocharger will grenade at some point. That's why it's so crucial to get a high quality turbo.

Good luck, OP. You're going to need it.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
There are a few folks on this Forum who have gone the FI route, and they know from experience what to avoid. This is why we say "Allow for a bigger budget than you think you`ll need". There are a LOT of little things that will pop up along the build, and if you`re not prepared financially, it will take you forever to finish the project.

The other alternative is, if you decide to just wing it (without doing it the correct way), you will probably have the fastest E46 around, for about 12 seconds, until it self-destructs ! :yikes: :tsk:

·
TheMalibuMafia
12,882 Posts
The CXracing kit is for a different engine like SPD said.
The manifold won't fit. So you'll either need to source another manifold or get one custom built.
Usually a custom built manifold ( stainless steel not cast iron ) will cost $1,000 and up.

Now sure you can use CXracing's China turbo. It WILL work but for how long is the question.
Precision turbo makes amazing turbos at good costs and is built in house in America. Garrett and Borg Warner, other brand names. Are twice the cost.
I believe my Precision 6266 was $1,100 by itself.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Supercharger is the way to go for a diy type of guy but I hate the wine. I'm slowly modding my 330i to all the supporting mods needed to support F/I, not even close to being done and I already spent close to 3k.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,717 Posts
Supercharger is the way to go for a diy type of guy but I hate the wine. I'm slowly modding my 330i to all the supporting mods needed to support F/I, not even close to being done and I already spent close to 3k.

You might want to look into the Technique Tuning turbo kit if you hate supercharger whine. Truth be told, I don't really hear mine all that much. Then again, my car is loud. :D

·
TheMalibuMafia
12,882 Posts
You might want to look into the Technique Tuning turbo kit if you hate supercharger whine. Truth be told, I don't really hear mine all that much. Then again, my car is loud. :D
Everyone can hear it outside the car though. And that's the cool part anyways lol

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
With stock engine internals, supercharging is the cheaper and more logical way to go. With either form of FI, you`re gonna be limited to around 7 pounds of boost, so turbos offer no advantage, and a mechanical-driven blower will give a more immediate throttle response.

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,717 Posts
With stock engine internals, supercharging is the cheaper and more logical way to go. With either form of FI, you`re gonna be limited to around 7 pounds of boost, so turbos offer no advantage, and a mechanical-driven blower will give a more immediate throttle response.
I'll have you know I'm running an 8.5 PSI pulley with my boost gauge reading at 9.6 PSI. And my car runs fine.

Just ask the 2009-ish Challenger SRT8 who tried to pick a fight with me a while back.

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,717 Posts
I just want that turbo flutter to be honest

It is a sexy sound. However, from a driving standpoint, a twin screw supercharger is the way to go. Power delivery is constant and very predictable. Press the pedal down and you immediately have power. With a turbo, you have to rely on that boost to build. However, I believe you have a bit more power under the curve with a turbo setup, which does make the car a bit faster overall.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
The twin-screw SC is probably the more enjoyable choice for everyday street driving, as it makes the E46 feel like it has a normally-aspirated small-block V8 under the hood....there is no waiting to overcome turbo lag, just hit the throttle, and the car jumps. Low-end grunt is what makes for a nice, snappy driving experience :thumbup:

·
TheMalibuMafia
12,882 Posts
I just want that turbo flutter to be honest

flutter? you mean blow off valve noise?

large difference. Usually what's called as "turbo flutter" or "blow off valve flutter" is REALLY bad. It means you have boost surge and the boost pressure is going back into the turbo and back into the manifold. Causing strain and detonation.

I actually laugh really damn hard when people have it and think it's cool. More like "gluck on that turbo or engine. One or the other is going to fail soon"

What it's SUPPOSE to sound like is just a blow off of air. No flutter, no surge.
Prime example I will link a video to my car. You can hear when I shift from 1-2 and 3-4 air blowing off. That's what it's SUPPOSE to sound like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae0-nPM4bIQ

This is a video of what it ISN'T suppose to sound like and is causing major issues.
He also has a part in it that it IS suppose to sound like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEUWEsqoWz8

oh AND you can get a blow off valve / recirculating valve with a supercharger kit as well. You just need to run the valve BEFORE the MAF and your good. Or tune the MAF out and use wideband o2 sensors to run your fuel/air ratios.

·
Registered
73 Posts
flutter? you mean blow off valve noise?

large difference. Usually what's called as "turbo flutter" or "blow off valve flutter" is REALLY bad. It means you have boost surge and the boost pressure is going back into the turbo and back into the manifold. Causing strain and detonation.

I actually laugh really damn hard when people have it and think it's cool. More like "gluck on that turbo or engine. One or the other is going to fail soon"

What it's SUPPOSE to sound like is just a blow off of air. No flutter, no surge.
Prime example I will link a video to my car. You can hear when I shift from 1-2 and 3-4 air blowing off. That's what it's SUPPOSE to sound like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae0-nPM4bIQ

This is a video of what it ISN'T suppose to sound like and is causing major issues.
He also has a part in it that it IS suppose to sound like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEUWEsqoWz8

oh AND you can get a blow off valve / recirculating valve with a supercharger kit as well. You just need to run the valve BEFORE the MAF and your good. Or tune the MAF out and use wideband o2 sensors to run your fuel/air ratios.
Let me explain myself better. I just want to hear a blow off valve, I know "turbo flutter" is bad. By the way your car sounds good!

·
TheMalibuMafia
12,882 Posts
Let me explain myself better. I just want to hear a blow off valve, I know "turbo flutter" is bad. By the way your car sounds good!

Thank you!

Well then you can accomplish that with a supercharger or turbo. Doesn't matter.
Like I said either code MAF out and use wideband o2 senors to runt he air to fuel mixture/ratios.
Or install a blow off in front of the MAF on the charge side.

With a twin screw supercharger you can do it... but you'd have to tap into the intake manifold which is basically apart of the supercharger at that point. Dangerous and you'd need to set it up correctly. It's different for every setup at that point.

On a centrifugal SC it's super easy to setup. You install one between the charge side and the throttle body. BEFORE the MAF.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.