BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 X5 with 77,000 miles went into limp mode with loud whining noise. Had it towed to dealer who said turbo failure. No turbos to be had and said about seven months before they get one. Anyone else been through this? Turbos are very expensive about $5000.00.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way it is a diesel.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Issues with turbo on 35d are usually related to actuator on it. Whining noise is not present, which means that your might be mechanical failure. Who did you maintain your car? A lot of city driving? Cold starts with spirited driving?
I had fail actuator on big turbo and BMW decided to change whole assembly under CPO. They did it in two days, so not sure why 7 months.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, I bought it new, took very good car of it, garage kept, dealer for everything, no hot rod at all, every now and then in sport mode but very little.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bad news is the expense $5,000. on a $10,000 value unit, the good news is that they gave me a rental until completed. They say the turbos are back ordered, been in the shop since before Thanksgiving, may not be fixed until July they say.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,841 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
If i had to replace turbos id take hybrids any day and pay less for em too while more hp. Aarod has em. My 2¢

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crazy. You are serously just gonna bend over?!?!?!?

Did you even bother calling BWMNA?

I could have a turbo for this in a week.

https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com...5dX/AT-TURBO-CHARGER/1272545/11657811405.html

https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com...5dX/AT-TURBO-CHARGER/1274603/11657809863.html

Both in stock.

wow.

In CA, turbos are covered to 7/70...just fyi
Hey ard, thanks for being here, I remember you when we bought our first units and the one you lemoned and your next one, good to see you here. Well after the loud whining noise and total loss of power I got home and researched to find that is was conisitant with turbo failure although I did not have any white smoke coming from the exhaust. I had it towed to the nearest BMW dealer without telling them much and they came back with turbo failure. This is above my pay grade to argue with them and to tow it around to different dealers would not make much sense. I called BWMNA and they were nice enough to take twenty five percent off the cost that the dealer already lowered the price for the work and they gave me a rental even though I am totally out of warranty (six years and 77,000 miles). I did not know what else to do. They say the part is back ordered and they know they are paying for the rental.
What else could I do?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If i had to replace turbos id take hybrids any day and pay less for em too while more hp. Aarod has em. My 2¢
Thanks kozilio, you may have a point but the X5 is loaded up worth about $10,000 on the market, I think it is too late to be throwing anything at it that I will not have much longer but I am sure they are better but BMW will not do the work and I have to dance with them.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,841 Posts
Hey ard, thanks for being here, I remember you when we bought our first units and the one you lemoned and your next one, good to see you here. Well after the loud whining noise and total loss of power I got home and researched to find that is was conisitant with turbo failure although I did not have any white smoke coming from the exhaust. I had it towed to the nearest BMW dealer without telling them much and they came back with turbo failure. This is above my pay grade to argue with them and to tow it around to different dealers would not make much sense. I called BWMNA and they were nice enough to take twenty five percent off the cost that the dealer already lowered the price for the work and they gave me a rental even though I am totally out of warranty (six years and 77,000 miles). I did not know what else to do. They say the part is back ordered and they know they are paying for the rental.

What else could I do?
You call them up and raise hell.

I've proven the parts are availbale to order, you can see the links. Next day shipping they are here next week.

You are gonna wait until July?!?

I mean this is beyond bizarre. Are you trolling us? J/k, but man....

BMWNA agrees the part is 7 months back ordered? ??

Seriously this is one of the craziest things I've heard.

Finally, the idea that there is only one possible choice: "The one BMW dealer; 7 months delay; don't ask no questions;" is nuts. There are many ways to get high quality 'factory' parts and repairs. Saying you don't have time to tow a car to another dealer, as if there is a binary chooce between 'towing' and 'utterly getting lied to and screwed and forced to way a year or two for parts'

Crazy.....

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,536 Posts
Learn the meaning of rope-a-dope.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is that the dealer that maintained your car?

No, my normal dealer was much further away to tow. When my warranty ended and I moved I switched dealers. They seem to be an average good dealer, I have yet to have problems with them.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You call them up and raise hell.

I've proven the parts are availbale to order, you can see the links. Next day shipping they are here next week.

You are gonna wait until July?!?

I mean this is beyond bizarre. Are you trolling us? J/k, but man....

BMWNA agrees the part is 7 months back ordered? ??

Seriously this is one of the craziest things I've heard.

Finally, the idea that there is only one possible choice: "The one BMW dealer; 7 months delay; don't ask no questions;" is nuts. There are many ways to get high quality 'factory' parts and repairs. Saying you don't have time to tow a car to another dealer, as if there is a binary chooce between 'towing' and 'utterly getting lied to and screwed and forced to way a year or two for parts'

Crazy.....
ard, when someone is giving me thousands of dollars in rental and 25% off the ticket raising hell is the last thing I want to do. I just posted here to see if others were having turbo problems and what they experienced along the way. I did the research on how the X5 will act with a blown turbo and it sounds just like it. The repair price is reasonable, after asking the dealer if they could help me out with the price they called me two days later and took $1080. off. I think it would be in BMW's best interest to have it repaired ASAP since it is on their dime.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Related question . . . unfortunately not useful for OP . . .

What are the good practices when it comes to maintaining these turbos / avoiding this issue in the first place?

Routine oil change using approved oils, avoid flooring/pushing beyond 4,000 rpm? I almost never hit 4,000 rpm (just my style) . . . not very often, but when I downshift, I do hit about 3,500 rpms briefly.

I understand, for X number of units produced, there is going to be Y failures (there is no such thing as zero failure devices) . . . that said, wondering what are some of the good practices to avoid/minimize such turbo failures.

Thanks.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,536 Posts
Meticulous maintenance of engine air filter and FOD prevention.

While I drove a 90 Hp. Turbocharged diesel I worried a bit about cooling it before shut down, but I am sure that I frequently used all 90 Hp. Not so much with the BMW 3 liter diesel.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts