BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Recently, I purchased a 1997 BMW 528i with 79k miles on it. I’m currently doing some research and just trying to understand the limits and how to do stuff with this engine. Not much Has been done so far, a muffler delete, I’ve got a m50 intake mani coming, did usual maintenance and rebuild of the vanos as well. I’m still learning a lot at 17 and only know the basics of induction and building (haven’t built or taken much apart). I’m coming from a 8v 2.0 ABA from a mk3 golf so this is really cool but also kinda stressful at the same time haha. Anyway, what’s the best route for the m52b28? How does tuning go about for it? Supercharger or turbo? What would be the best to push 300hp on stock internals (for now)? Anything I need to know parts wise? What’s the best for piping routes and oil feeds? Anything I should do before turboing it? Do I have to convert to standalone? What’s the best place to start is what I’m really asking. I’ve never turbocharged an engine or worked on one much. I know a bit, but my brother is gonna help me as well. I’m researching through the forums but the majority seem to be making well over 400 and have done things such as s52 cams, bore and porting, etc etc. any sort of help is appreciated, thanks!
Oh and I’m looking for at most 300-325 hp, don’t need a lot just for a fun daily so I’m assuming not going to need stacked or thicker head gaskets.

· Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
572 Posts
If you have a manual trans, just drive the snot out of it for a couple years. Then, supercharge it if you have the $$.

You should spend your money on the suspension first. The S/C kit is big money. The car as is can get you into plenty of trouble.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have a manual trans, just drive the snot out of it for a couple years. Then, supercharge it if you have the $$.

You should spend your money on the suspension first. The S/C kit is big money. The car as is can get you into plenty of trouble.
Yea I saw it’s about 5k for a vortec kit. That’s currently the plan, right now I’m choosing between bags and coils and rebuilding the suspension as well. Just trying to plan for the future wether it’s near or far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.