BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
If your on a budget lol. Turbos are so exspensive, you could buy another e36 for the price they want. I wish I could do it but instead of doing that, just save up the money for a turbo and sell your e36 and buy an m3. I would just go with nos IMO, its basically the same thing except only at certain times and way less money. Just read up a bit on it before you do it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't want nos or another e36. i put a lot of time fixing this car myself and i checked what the insurance would be for an m3, me being only 23, it's not something i wanna pay. especially living on my own in hawaii... rent's so high.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well if you would like to run a turbo thats fine I was just bringing up the fact a good turbo is basically the price of an e36.

·
Still here
12,188 Posts
i would never do it to my car for a number of reasons, but the thought is very nice!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Cheapest ive seen but like it says only is good for about 30% more power or 50 hp. Not bad but for 2000 I would want better.

·
Registered
237 Posts
fudddddy

I know more than one person who has upgraded their BMW with a blower and both have had big problems with the engine. The head, gaskets, exhaust, crank, etc, everything, is just not designed to take boost. And the computer won't be too hapy either. So in the end, both cars had problems. One guy sold his car for a loss even though he was a BMW tech(at a stealer!). Another had a fast car that never ran right. It would die at idle, etc.

I would honestly try to trade your car for, say, a 328i then put a conforti chip in it. Or even trade it in on a GTI and chip that.

·
Still here
12,188 Posts
There are two definite camps on this subject.

I sit firmly in the Natual Aspiration camp whereas my friends sit in the forced induction camp (or UN-natual aspiration)

BMW engines are bullet proof but i too have heard of a lot of problems after people have fitted turbos, NOS and sucklike

difficult one......

·
Registered
513 Posts
I guess I wont be getting nos then. Thanks for letting me know, I figured the bimmer engine could handle it but if you said people have been having problems then i dont want to risk it.

·
Still here
12,188 Posts
It is all the extra you have to spend too that is often the problem.

You should get your bottom end balanced, and uprate all the internal components cos the bang inside the cylinder with NOS in it is VERY powerful and so if your piston or rods have any flaws, NOS will exploit it but mashing up everything inside!!

Forget turbos and NOS, either stick with your current car and mod it as much as possible with CAI's, chips and suchlike or buy a bimmer with a bigger engine. Forced induction is for the extras on the Fast and Furious films!!

Personal opinion of course!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
maybe i'll just upgrade everything but the engine... and when it's time to rebuild.... judt drop an m3 engine in it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts