BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 330i (E46) 2018 M550i (G30)
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a code for turning off the gesture control laser on 2018 M550i? As many of you know, the GC laser sets off the laser signal on radar detectors. So I turned off the laser on the radar detector thinking that the cops in my town are unlikely to have laser guns. Well - I was wrong. I got a speeding ticket today and the cop had LIDAR. To avoid this in the future, I would like to turn off the GC laser (disabling gesture control does not turn off laser) and turn on the laser function on the detector. Thanks in advance for any help (and please, don't tell me to stop speeding! ;)).

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
Yes, in I Drive, go to "My Vehicle" then "I Drive Settings". But my understanding is even with it turned off, the laser sensor is still active. Some have been successful by covering the sensor with electrical tape. Inelegant, but apparently works.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You can cover black area in the overhead console that projects the laser with electrical tape. I did this on my prior 5 series. On my 2021, I just turned off rear laser on my Valentine and that works fine.

·
Registered
2001 330i (E46) 2018 M550i (G30)
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! I will search for the source of the laser.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts