BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice.

I've been planning an ED on an M3 for months. But the dealer who for months and months promised a decent deal, is now backing away from his earlier verbal commitments, and is coming back with what is essentially NO discount at all on either the invoice or the options prices. So, the "deal" he is offering me is thousands more than I see others getting from other dealers here on this site. (My bad for not getting the agreed on price in writing, but I made the mistake of trusting my CA).

My question is: What happens to the car (which is already in production) and which I was supposed to pick up in Munich next month if I tell him I don't want it at that price?

Can I walk away?

Does the dealer then get the car at ED price to sell here in the states at the US MSRP+ price?

I hate to even consider this, but it looks like I could get a better deal on the same care through a normal U.S. purchase than the 'deal" my dealer is offering.

Any thoughts, especially from those with dealer experience?

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts
This isn't a situation I'm familiar with. I would talk to BMW ED (special sales?), and explain that you would still like to proceed, however you cannot work with your current CA because of these issues. They may be able to offer some options that allow you to keep the order and delivery date.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
938 Posts
You can walk away. You might talk to the sales manager, I'd guess the CA offered something verbally that the sales manager said no to, or the CA thinks he can get a better deal from someone else (or force you to take the hit).

I don't know what happens to the car, I seem to remember that there was a change on how that is handled (within allocations now, wasn't in the past?). But it's still just a car and another can be found in time.
 

·
Retired Official Welcomer
2021 X5 M50i Mineral White w/DHP/DAP/DAPP/PAP/EP/Bowers&Wilkins/Ext Merino Leather/Glass Controls
Joined
·
8,501 Posts
Need some advice.

I've been planning an ED on an M3 for months. But the dealer who for months and months promised a decent deal, is now backing away from his earlier verbal commitments, and is coming back with what is essentially NO discount at all on either the invoice or the options prices. So, the "deal" he is offering me is thousands more than I see others getting from other dealers here on this site. (My bad for not getting the agreed on price in writing, but I made the mistake of trusting my CA).

My question is: What happens to the car (which is already in production) and which I was supposed to pick up in Munich next month if I tell him I don't want it at that price?

Can I walk away?

Does the dealer then get the car at ED price to sell here in the states at the US MSRP+ price?

I hate to even consider this, but it looks like I could get a better deal on the same care through a normal U.S. purchase than the 'deal" my dealer is offering.

Any thoughts, especially from those with dealer experience?

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Just walk away. If you didn't put a deposit down, you have no commitment to that snake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,187 Posts
The question really is if you are willing to walk away or just take it like a bum.

Whatever happens with that car after you walk away is none of your business.

Need some advice.

I've been planning an ED on an M3 for months. But the dealer who for months and months promised a decent deal, is now backing away from his earlier verbal commitments, and is coming back with what is essentially NO discount at all on either the invoice or the options prices. So, the "deal" he is offering me is thousands more than I see others getting from other dealers here on this site. (My bad for not getting the agreed on price in writing, but I made the mistake of trusting my CA).

My question is: What happens to the car (which is already in production) and which I was supposed to pick up in Munich next month if I tell him I don't want it at that price?

Can I walk away?

Does the dealer then get the car at ED price to sell here in the states at the US MSRP+ price?

I hate to even consider this, but it looks like I could get a better deal on the same care through a normal U.S. purchase than the 'deal" my dealer is offering.

Any thoughts, especially from those with dealer experience?

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
They strung you along for the ride with a classic bait and switch (especially since nothing was in writing). Get your deposit back and tell them to go fukc themselves.
Then if you want to make a real stink about it, call BMW NA and dump on that dealer.
 

·
IntarWeb Stalker
Joined
·
10,068 Posts
Wait, can you order ED without pricing agreement pre order?

Go to dealership, dress well. Politely ask for manager. Explain situation. Bring any evidence you have (email,v voicemail, etc). If he doesnt give you what was agreed upon then tell him you will not take the order and you will voice tge issue with BMW NA as well as publically (e..g. bimmerfest)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts
I would not utter anything further with the dealer without speaking with BMW NA to discuss your options first. BMW does not promote this program to have their dealers yank their customers around with bait and switch tactics. I suspect they offer you assistance or options but you have to make the call first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
This is a Build Your Own ED that BMW built without a commitment?
Good question. I had to jump through all kinds of hoops when ordering for ED, including paying for the car a week or so before leaving for Germany.

Wasn't aware you could spec build for ED. Are you sure the car was ever really ordered? I received all kinds of information from BMWNA soon after ordering to plan the trip, etc.

Something sounds off...

If you don't have a signed contract, I would walk. There are plenty of dealers here on this forum that will treat you well... including putting you up for a night and feeding you a steak dinner if you have to travel once the car arrives back in the U.S.

Hope you get it worked out. ED is an awesome experience - especially in one of these cars where you can really stretch their legs on the Autobahn. Being there late in September for Oktoberfest isn't to shabby either!

M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good question. I had to jump through all kinds of hoops when ordering for ED, including paying for the car a week or so before leaving for Germany.

Wasn't aware you could spec build for ED. Are you sure the car was ever really ordered? I received all kinds of information from BMWNA soon after ordering to plan the trip, etc.

Something sounds off...

If you don't have a signed contract, I would walk. There are plenty of dealers here on this forum that will treat you well... including putting you up for a night and feeding you a steak dinner if you have to travel once the car arrives back in the U.S.

Hope you get it worked out. ED is an awesome experience - especially in one of these cars where you can really stretch their legs on the Autobahn. Being there late in September for Oktoberfest isn't to shabby either!

M
Yes, it's entered production. And they didn't make me put a deposit down. Very odd. I did ED 15 years ago, and loved my dealer. Not so much this time.

The problem is I have my tickets bought, my time off scheduled, and now this. There's no time to re-spec another car for order. So the only choice I would have would be to not take the car, and instead rent something for the several days I am in Europe. Then any savings I'd get from getting a new deal later would vanish.

I am just extremely disappointed by this dealer. It's unfortunate, and pretty shady.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Yes, it's entered production. And they didn't make me put a deposit down. Very odd. I did ED 15 years ago, and loved my dealer. Not so much this time.

The problem is I have my tickets bought, my time off scheduled, and now this. There's no time to re-spec another car for order. So the only choice I would have would be to not take the car, and instead rent something for the several days I am in Europe. Then any savings I'd get from getting a new deal later would vanish.

I am just extremely disappointed by this dealer. It's unfortunate, and pretty shady.
Talk to someone in the ED department at BMWNA. Something is not right here...

Rather defeats the purpose of driving "your" car, but the Welt does have loaner cars available. In the end BMWNA holds the key to fixing this for you.

Reach out to them and let us know what they say.

M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Yes, it's entered production. And they didn't make me put a deposit down. Very odd. I did ED 15 years ago, and loved my dealer. Not so much this time.

The problem is I have my tickets bought, my time off scheduled, and now this. There's no time to re-spec another car for order. So the only choice I would have would be to not take the car, and instead rent something for the several days I am in Europe. Then any savings I'd get from getting a new deal later would vanish.

I am just extremely disappointed by this dealer. It's unfortunate, and pretty shady.
You were given a production number and delivery date, correct? When is your delivery date?
What kind of paperwork have you signed or received?

Call BMW NA and see what's up. This sounds like an absolute bait and switch, and you need to out the dealer on here and to the BBB. There may be a chance to salvage something but only if you have something documented and in writing. Typically you have to go in two weeks before the trip and pay for the car so they would've had to give you a written number. Do you have any emails between yourself and the CA agreeing on price?

Worst case scenario, BMW NA says they cannot help you since nothing was in writing and a price was not finalized.

As far as travel - check the airline's change fees or try and obtain a credit. Factor in the total cost of the changing the ticket/obtaining a credit to what you would be saving. You'll take a hit but it's better than going to Germany and not picking up your car.

Hotels - since you're still a bit away I'm sure there will not be any cancellation fee

Work - I'm sure your employer would work with you to reschedule time off.

Keep us posted.
 

·
IntarWeb Stalker
Joined
·
10,068 Posts
I am still not getting something here. You say pick up next month but already in production. ED cars are built during the week before pickup.
That makes sense. It may not be in actual production but is a status given.

My hangup, how is there not paperwork. Before my ed was submitted i had email with pricing, contract in mail, etc. No deposit requested, but still lots of paperwork, including emails from bmw ed department
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,387 Posts
BMWNA is going to refer you back to your dealer. I would wait until the last minute to cancel your current order since they did not give you any time when they changed the price.

I would not cancel your order, instead start working with other dealerships and secure your new deal. Once you have everything set and they call/email you about signing the PO then tell let them know that since they changed your agreement that you are no longer interested. The car will just turn to Priority 2 (Dealer stock) and get shipped to them.
 

·
IntarWeb Stalker
Joined
·
10,068 Posts
BMWNA is going to refer you back to your dealer. I would wait until the last minute to cancel your current order since they did not give you any time when they changed the price.

I would not cancel your order, instead start working with other dealerships and secure your new deal. Once you have everything set and they call/email you about signing the PO then tell let them know that since they changed your agreement that you are no longer interested. The car will just turn to Priority 2 (Dealer stock) and get shipped to them.
Sorry, but thats terrible advice. His pickup involves flying. If it was a regular american delivery with a drive to the local dealer, sure. But if he waits there will not be an opportunity for a potential resolution in time for the trip.

Worst thing the dealer would have to do is sell off the lot (big whoop).
Again, my question....where is the paperwork and emails from the welt. A month out he should have a filing folder with documents
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,387 Posts
Sorry, but thats terrible advice. His pickup involves flying. If it was a regular american delivery with a drive to the local dealer, sure. But if he waits there will not be an opportunity for a potential resolution in time for the trip.

Worst thing the dealer would have to do is sell off the lot (big whoop).
Again, my question....where is the paperwork and emails from the welt. A month out he should have a filing folder with documents
I didn't see he had purchased his tickets.

Depending on when his delivery is, he may still have time to get a car spec'd out - if you find a dealer with an allocation available they may be able to get you done in 45 days.

In the end, I would rather lose the $150 change fee then let someone take advantage of me. But that's just me.
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top