BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first post here, hello everyone :)

I've searched almost everywhere and cannot find the answer, I'm hoping someone here knows the fix.

The monitor/screen (4:3) does one of these things:
  1. When you switch the ignition to pos 2 *sometimes* the monitor/screen comes on, and when it does it works fine. Sometimes it doesnt switch on without the car on (see point 2), there is no pattern or obvious reason for this.
  2. If you start the engine, the screen works for about 8 to 10 seconds, then cuts off to a blank screen. Pressing menu or pushing/twiddling the knob has nil effect.

Ive tried taking the neg terminal of the battery off for a minute, that did exactly squat. I have considered that a possibility is whatever that is in the thing that detects movement is screwed somehow. I also have wondered if getting one of those TV in motion cable things from ebay/web may fix the issue, but I have no idea if it would.

:dunno:

Its frustrating as I was hoping to be able to not post and find the answer but unless I missed it I'm hoping someone here in bimmerfestland can help!

*** I just took the car for a drive, and the screen decided to switch on for about 1min, then switched off again. Very annoying.

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
Can you make the TV malfunction by turning on the right side vanity light in the visor? If so, your ignition switch must be replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that, no I couldnt make it fail using the right vanity light. However, I have noticed that last night the right vanity light didnt work now it does, however I wonder if that was due to the car being driven at the time (that would make sense).

Any other suggestions would be awesome. I have found a place that seems to do it (http://liquidxtal.com/) but I am sure if I know what the problem is I could fix for way cheaper.:thumbup:

BTW, the first paragraph refers to when the car is not running, just ignition on/pos 1 or 2

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
Did you perform the test with the switch in either of those positions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I understand correctly, I did try it in pos 1 and 2 with engine off tv going... at least until the TV decided it would have another sleep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts