BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the facts first. 2002 325i, battery is a BMW brand, prod stamp = 3906 (near 10 years old). The battery has never given me an issue until now.

Symptoms = ever since I changed the belt in February, I've had a very slight "whirring" coming from the belt area. Not a typical belt squeal, a high pitched "whir" is the best way to describe it. Happens at immediate startup, ends after a second or two. Also under hard acceleration when I get up to roughly 4500 rpm, it can occasionally come back except at a higher pitch I'll call it. I also had an instance last week where it seemed the key fob wasn't registering correct and I had to manually unlock once, which seemed to clear that kerfluffle. The car then was starting fine. No warning lights ever.

Last Sunday afternoon (car sat from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon) and now today, car clicked but didn't turn over. It's been at times dreadfully hot and humid in Iowa. Today was no exception, hottest day of the last week or so, 90-ish, very humid. My '06 X5 during the sauna a couple weeks ago drained also (mid to upper 90's for 4 straight days right in the middle of a 10 day stretch where it wasn't driven once (drive the 325). Charged it up, no issues since.

So threw on the charger Sunday night, indicator on charger stated about 25%, but came to 100% and 3 amps in roughly 6 hours at 2 amps setting. Popped right off. Drove 1-2 times a day Sunday through Wednesday. Seemed to be starting up just fine.

Went out this afternoon at peak heating, again, clicking, no turnover. I only had to put the charger on 6 amp setting for 10 minutes before it popped off and started.

This time I got out the multimeter. Disconnected the battery completely, MM stated 12.4 volts, so I'm assuming no obviously dead cells. I reconnected and started with AC on full and lights on, 13.7 volts, with those off, 14.2 volts. I assume my alternator with the car standing still is charging.

Read several threads, went to the wiki page and BAS site...they mentioned maybe a grounding strap might be the issue with these symptoms. I didn't get a chance to test this with a jumper from the grounding stud to the shock tower looking for a spark...storms moved in just now.

The only thing to me that sticks out is it's a 10 year old battery...which seems pretty old for most car batteries to live nowadays, but I have read elsewhere battery age is not necessarily the iron clad diagnosis here.

Am I missing anything? Possibly a starter solenoid/starter?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would try your x5 battery in the 325 and make sure all connections are tight and earth's checked before doing anything else.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Simple rule of thumb. Battery issues, questions and even anything that makes you think of the word battery and the battery is over 5 years old then replace it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simple rule of thumb. Battery issues, questions and even anything that makes you think of the word battery and the battery is over 5 years old then replace it.
That's my thinking as well. 10 years sealed the deal. 7 would have for certain. The guy at the counter said 10 years is the oldest lasting battery he's ever seen for a daily driven car.

I replaced it. Hopefully in a week I won't be posting a frustrated update...fingers and toes crossed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts