Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I currently have a BMW 2005 e46 325ci.
I have a rather Unique idea for the car.
My plan is to leave the currant engine in the front of the vehicle and in the back (where the passenger seats are) i plan to put a second engine.
I will connect them Inline with a drive shaft then at the back of the second engine i will have a 7 Speed Sequential Trans-axle transmission.
I would also like to have a clutch separating engine 1 and 2 so i can drive the car in economic mode.
I will also be installing a roll cage around the second engine, and probably sound dampening to stop me from going deaf after 5 minutes of driving.
Other issues with my plan is how do i cool the second engine?
How do i feed it air?
Both engines will be super charged and maybe turbo charged. I want at least 250KW (335Hp) from each engine.
What do you think? Is this a great idea, or a way to ruin your ears and wallet?
Regards for any answers,
-Tim

EDIT: I still plan to keep all the interior in the front of the car, both seats and radio, etc. So im not going all out race car.
UPDATE: The rear engine is going to get air from the two rear side windows. They will be modified to have the back going in the car about 7.5cm. This will be done on both sides. Note I still have no idea how i'm going to cool the beast.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Is this a serious post? or a troll?

You want it supercharger, and turbocharged?

So you plan on building a twin engine car, but you can’t figure out how to get air to the car?

Sounds like a terrible idea.

Sorry. But you’d better off putting a turbo LS in. Dual engine isn’t worth the weight, or money.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I'm serious, the super charger for the low end and off the line power and the turbo charger for the high end. I have been given an offer for the engine I need (M54 2.5L) at $999 Australian Dollars. I may even leave it naturally aspirated.
I could modify the panels to give the engine and rear radiators air. But i don't want the whole super car look, plus body panels are a pain to modify.
-Tim

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
The rear body structure (floorpan) is not strong enough even for the torque from one engine (re-read threads about rear subframe failures), let alone two. There is not enough room behind the rear axle (trunk) for it, and there isn't enough room in the rear for a typical engine-transmission length - you really need a FWD's transaxle.

FYI, Car and Driver, about 10-15 years ago did this to a Civic; probably you can find it online somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.