Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've Been lurking here forever and finally decided to make an account. I'm buying a 5 series next week and it's down to 2. 2012 535....sport package, premium package, 67k miles, well maaintain at bmw dealer. Dark Graphite $14,750 OR............2014 528i black BMW with premium package, comfort assist (keyless entry/touch lock), driving assist, heads up display, rear cam, heated front seats, navigation, new run flat tires and harman kardon surround sound package. 71k miles, in great condition. Non smoker. 2nd owner - kept in garage. Clean tittle $15,000. Only a $250 dollar in difference money wise. What's the better investment

·
Registered
31 Posts
Short answer - cars are generally not an investment, especially BMWs. If the 2014 was a 535 that would be my clear choice. These two are kind of a wash but I'd lean toward the 2012. Do a bit of research on the 528 engine and see if that helps you decide.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I've Been lurking here forever and finally decided to make an account. I'm buying a 5 series next week and it's down to 2. 2012 535....sport package, premium package, 67k miles, well maaintain at bmw dealer. Dark Graphite $14,750 OR............2014 528i black BMW with premium package, comfort assist (keyless entry/touch lock), driving assist, heads up display, rear cam, heated front seats, navigation, new run flat tires and harman kardon surround sound package. 71k miles, in great condition. Non smoker. 2nd owner - kept in garage. Clean tittle $15,000. Only a $250 dollar in difference money wise. What's the better investment
I'd buy the 535 and get an extended warranty. Sounds like the 528 has more gizmos but the 535 is a far more powerful car....if that's your thing.

EDIT: Never buy a BMW (or any german luxury sedan) as an investment. I've enjoyed owning the two BMW's that I've had, but I've lost $25,000 in value in 4 1/2 years even buying used ones.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Sounds like the 528 has more gizmos but the 535 is a far more powerful car....if that's your thing.
I am a 535i over a 528i person no matter what but for you, it depends on your driving requirements. Do you mainly do long highway drives or is your daily driving in a location that allows for a little heavy-foot?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really really appreciate any feedback. I worded that incorrectly. I meant to say which one is the better deal. Is the cost of maintenance around the same on a 535 and 528?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
When I bought my '13 535xDrive (new) I test drove a 528. IMHO it lacked the smoothness of the 6 cyl drivetrain and felt "underpowered". Even though the price was considerably lower for a comparably equipped F10 I went with the 535. I was NOT disappointed. Fast forward to 2017 and the G30 series. Did the side-by-side comparison again. And I have to tell you BMW really worked some magic on the 4cyl drivetrain - smooth and quiet ... fair amount of power. Even considered the 530e. Was really getting to a toss-up but I went with the 540xDrive. The silky smooth power was AMAZING.

Net net for the F10 series the 4cyl versions are OK but IMHO the 6cyl / 535 is a mature drivetrain that will make your overall driving experience more fun. But if you're a conservative driver and not looking to trafficlight race mustangs the 2 year newer 528 with the additional features could be very serviceable for you. It will have amble power and most of the bugs will have been worked out of it too.

Still - whichever you lean toward, ALWAYS have a thorough pre-purchase inspection performed by an experienced, honest, BMW qualified mechanic. You know the drill - maintenance done on time, expensive items like brakes in good shape, no serious body work hidden away, service bulletins up to date, no leaks (oil or coolant), transmission performs correctly, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Cost of ownership

I really really appreciate any feedback. I worded that incorrectly. I meant to say which one is the better deal. Is the cost of maintenance around the same on a 535 and 528?
IMHO and experience the general, scheduled maintenance for either is about the same. I've only owned an F10 535xDrive from new (2013) and except for annual oil services and one set of RFTs (before I traded mine at about 40,000 miles) I had no repairs that were outside of warranty. Some software "fixes" / updates had to be done and the trunk comfort access "antennae" was replaced under warranty at the 2 year mark or so. Every thing worked as intended as I recall OR were addressed during annual services or interim inspections.

IF brake system flushes were done on time (every two years) and brake pad / rotor measurements are in spec or performed recently, coolant systems are BMW weak points [ triple check for leaks!!] , and oil service + cabin filters are up to date & tires showing even tread wear you should be good to go. If you're handy or have a GOOD QUALIFIED BMW INDY to work with for regular maintenance these F10s are often trouble free.

But as always - CHECK BEFORE YOU BUY!! They are both USED CARS - you want to be sure they weren't ABused cars !!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
This is just one guy's opinion........but you should NEVER buy a car because it's the better deal. If a better deal is what you're looking for, I'd suggest a used Toyota Camry, Honda Accord or Hyundai Sonata. All will be a "better deal" than a BMW.

If you are taking the time to buy a BMW.......buy the one you want......or wait until you can. If you buy the 528 but really wanted the 535, you will regret the decision every time you are heading up an on-ramp.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you are taking the time to buy a BMW.......buy the one you want......or wait until you can. If you buy the 528 but really wanted the 535, you will regret the decision every time you are heading up an on-ramp.
While theres no doubt the 535 is more powerful I wouldn't say the 528 is underpowered. The car is quick and sips fuel if driven correctly. It can comfortably spend all day at Autobahn speeds. Mine sees 100+ everyday almost
Between the two I would get the 528. Cars are downsizing engines. In that sense, the 528 seems ahead of it's time and may be more relevant down the road
Also at 2014, there's no timing chain to worry about

·
Registered
739 Posts
Not enough information here. We know about the cars, but not about what *YOU* want from a car.

So in that case. The cheaper one is a better deal, by $250 - genius.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
While theres no doubt the 535 is more powerful I wouldn't say the 528 is underpowered. The car is quick and sips fuel if driven correctly. It can comfortably spend all day at Autobahn speeds. Mine sees 100+ everyday almost
Between the two I would get the 528. Cars are downsizing engines. In that sense, the 528 seems ahead of it's time and may be more relevant down the road
Also at 2014, there's no timing chain to worry about
I agree that a 528 might be plenty of car for a lot of people. I've only owned 3 cars that were faster than a 528 and didn't own a car as fast as that until I was over 35 years old. I would have loved a car with the performance of a 528i before I bought my wife a Mustang GT in 2006.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I went from a 2013 328i to a 2014 535i. While I never really get to put the additional power down since i live in los angeles, I very much appreciate the feeling and the sound of the i6 over the i4. I've also had a 528i as a loaner, and it didn't really feel that much slower around town. I personally would go for the newer car, assuming you're in my position and will rarely ever put that extra hp to use.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so m in for everyone***8217;s feedback. From 16-23 I was all bout my cars. Always keeping them clean. Going to auto zone and pep boys was like going to the toy store. Felt really good getting all the maintenance. Then boom I became a dad and got away from the car scene.(I***8217;m 31 now) Long story short I***8217;m outta the loop now and don***8217;t really understand the inside and out from the newer bmws. I know for sure I want a 5 series no confusion there. Someone mention to look into the 2014 528 engine but don***8217;t know any particular reason why. I***8217;ve read on here that some cars are bad years and wanted to eliminate one of the cars if in fact one of them was a bad year and should stay away. I want the 535 because of the power and the real bmw feel to the car. I was not too thrilled with the color but do not mind the color. For the 528 I love that it***8217;s a whole 2 years newer so you figure lots of improvements there in particular with the interior of the car. I also like the fuel efficiency of the 528. I love that it***8217;s black as I want a black on black BMW. Don***8217;t really have an idea if black goes well on the Dark Graphite.

Now I just payed the $60 for the car fax report. The 535 has 11 maintenance records meaning it has been service on the regular at a BMW dealership. The 528 car faxx was a little confusing because it only has 2 service record and has 71k miles. Now the 528 owner did mention he had family that works at the bmw dealership and stated it has gotten the white glove treatment. But why no service records being recorded? Is it becuse he***8217;s getting hooked up so there***8217;s no receip being made similar to someone getting hooked up at a restaurant be no kitchen ticket being printed and the cooks just make the food. So that definitely something that got my attention.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
N20 engine, lots of reading about it on the Internet. The early ones chewed up timing chain guides and committed suicide. BMW did correct the issue in later models but there is some question about exactly when. Some say starting with the 2015 models while others say sometime in 2014.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I'd much rather be the 2nd owner of the 2012 than the 3rd owner of the 2014. We have a 2012 base 535i (was our 1st) with about 83K miles and it's been very reliable and gets excellent mpg. Took a 3100ish mile road trip and averaged around 31mpg. I did use the cruise on the freeway but sport mode in town. To get the 4-banger you'll be giving up quite a few horses for minimal mileage gains. I've had 528 and 530 loaners. While the 4-banger in the 530 has made good strides over the 528, I still was glad to get my 2012 535 back. Even now, when I need to take our 2014 in for maintenance I can't wait to get out of the G30 530 and back into my 535!

Sounds like you're leaning towards the 535 anyway.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Carfax reports are not very reliable. They do record some service records but not all so view that as an incomplete report. I would be very concerned about the front end damage history and the appearance that maintenance was not done on time in the first few years. This tells me the car was possibly neglected by its first owner unless it can be proven the service history showing on Carfax is not complete. The only way you can learn the car's previous service history is ask your local BMW dealer to look it up in his records and advise you on what he has recorded there. Personally, if it were me I've already seen enough on this one to pass. keep in mind this one thing about pre-owned BMW's. Cars being offered for an attractive price often turn out to be the most expensive BMW's. It's important to do your homework first so you know what to look for when sizing up any potential BMW purchase. Everything you need to know beforehand about every BMW is archived in the history here. Just do a search on model year and engine type for any car under consideration and you'll quickly find out what others have experienced with that particular model.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts