Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem one - when driving there is always a car in front or me....

Problem two - when stoped there is always a car right on my rear bumper...

Seriously, I just got a 2017 M2 DCT. This is really a phenomenal car. I was coming from a e90 335d which I had for 9 years because I hated the steering feeling in the F30 series. The steering is about 90% of the E90 as far as road feel, but it is superior in every other way - very quick and nimble. I love it.

I still get good road feel through the pedals, and the accelerator has a ton of travel with power throughout. The car is rigid and suspension is stiff - which is what I really wanted. It's a driver's car.

Turned off ASD, not a fan of fake noise but it's still plenty sonorous for me.

One question I noticed that the computer says the brakes status is 90K for the front and 70K for the back... Do you really get that much mileage out of those pads?

·
Registered
10,671 Posts

Seriously, I just got a 2017 M2 DCT. This is really a phenomenal car. I was coming from a e90 335d which I had for 9 years because I hated the steering feeling in the F30 series. The steering is about 90% of the E90 as far as road feel, but it is superior in every other way - very quick and nimble. I love it.

I still get good road feel through the pedals, and the accelerator has a ton of travel with power throughout. The car is rigid and suspension is stiff - which is what I really wanted. It's a driver's car.

Turned off ASD, not a fan of fake noise but it's still plenty sonorous for me.

One question I noticed that the computer says the brakes status is 90K for the front and 70K for the back... Do you really get that much mileage out of those pads?
My E46 M3 had all the original pads at 115k miles when I sold it. But, that was with a lot of interstate driving, compression braking, coasting up to stop lights, and no track time. My service writer got her feelings hurt, thinking that I got a brake job from somebody else.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Maybe they're tailgating to get a better look at your car. M2's are still rare, probably because BMW doesn't want to cannibalize sales from M3/4's. Hopefully BMW will ramp up M2 production once the current M3/4 goes out of production. I read somewhere that eventually (e.g. after the current M2 production stops), the next M3/4 will have a low-cost, "pure" version.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The M2 is probably the only modern BMW I would buy. It kinda reminds me of the E46 M3 more than the ongoing M3/M4 and the E46 M3 is my fav BMW of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
BMW 4 LIFE
1,518 Posts
Is this bad - sometimes I enjoy it so much I like to drive real slow....
[/I]

I know the feeling...just slow rollin' I suppose. Glad you like the M2. Can't decide on what next. Not a fan of the stiff stiff suspension in the M cars. Probably just not used to it coming from a "regular" bmw. M2 though...just maybe.

·
pay it forward
1,386 Posts
I can't imagine what it feels like to shift in this car. I just came back to MT and love my "beater" E91! My goal in a few years is a MT M3 (E90) or MT M2. I have heard so many good things about the way the M2 feels as a driver's car. Patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just tried the auto high beam lights...pretty neat feature and fairly accurate. It does blind the pedestrians though and does not have a blind the other driver setting if they don't lower their high beams...

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

Pretty standard, trust me.

My E92 attracted less attention than my 981 Cayman, but it was worse attention. People sometimes really got out of their way to be a-holes.

Actually, believe it or not, even my grocery getter (VW Golf GTI) sometimes gets noted and harrassed by wannabe racers. I only wish they would once, JUST ONCE, do that on a curvy road. Possibly while I drive Chevy Impala or another obviously rental special for bigger embarassment. No chance of that - you know, you can't go fast if there are corners, right?

Don't sweat it. Enjoy your car and congratulations on your M2. Think about making it faster by signing up for HPDE - if you have never done it, it is a truly life changing experience if you decide to stay and keep coming for more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
218 Posts
Pretty standard, trust me.

My E92 attracted less attention than my 981 Cayman, but it was worse attention. People sometimes really got out of their way to be a-holes.

Actually, believe it or not, even my grocery getter (VW Golf GTI) sometimes gets noted and harrassed by wannabe racers. I only wish they would once, JUST ONCE, do that on a curvy road. Possibly while I drive Chevy Impala or another obviously rental special for bigger embarassment. No chance of that - you know, you can't go fast if there are corners, right?

Don't sweat it. Enjoy your car and congratulations on your M2. Think about making it faster by signing up for HPDE - if you have never done it, it is a truly life changing experience if you decide to stay and keep coming for more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bimmerfest mobile app

That’s funny because when I still had my VW GTI it too attracted a lot of wannabe racers. I was once challenged by an Audi S5 at a stoplight but I declined because I knew he would smoke my car. Back in high school in the early 2000s, my friends and I challenged a modded looking Civic Si while we were in a 2001 Honda Odyssey, just for the laughs, and we won for some reason! It was probably a bone stock Civic underneath for all we know but getting smoked by a minivan is hilarious.
My E92 335i has yet to attract said people. The car itself doesn’t attract as much people as they’re fairly common, but my exhaust note does. People always tell me to rev it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
Think about making it faster by signing up for HPDE - if you have never done it, it is a truly life changing experience if you decide to stay and keep coming for more.
+1 on that advice.

I can't imagine what it feels like to shift in this car. I just came back to MT and love my "beater" E91! My goal in a few years is a MT M3 (E90) or MT M2. I have heard so many good things about the way the M2 feels as a driver's car. Patience is a virtue.
True that. The clutch on the M cars is much better than the non-M, as they don't have that horrible CDV. It can be removed from your E91, but not in the F30, where it's integrated into the slave. nasty.

Congrats to the OP, enjoy it!

·
pay it forward
1,386 Posts
+1 on that advice.

True that. The clutch on the M cars is much better than the non-M, as they don't have that horrible CDV. It can be removed from your E91, but not in the F30, where it's integrated into the slave. nasty.

Congrats to the OP, enjoy it!

Already performed CDV delete. Will be in an E9x M3 or an M2 someday soon. Definitely a good problem to have for OP

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's been a few weeks now...still loving it. Can't find the way to turn on the reverse camera when not in reverse...but I'll figure it out. I like not having a sunroof....personal preference. The rear fender flares .... need to be careful not to hit the garage door jamb when reversing...unless i adjust the mirror they are hard to see - of course the sensors also let you know. I really want to just take this car on a long scenic road trip - preferably with lots of winding roads.

For me, this car has the right HP and handling.... the M3/4 are really beautiful but are too much for my driving style. I feel like I utilize more of what the M2 is suppose to be than wasting the performance of a M3/4. Not sure about the M2 comp....and future M2 models - I hope they don't chase the HP race...

·
pay it forward
1,386 Posts
It’s a Goldilocks sports car. Just right

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
482 Posts
I do miss the sunroof. The passenger side airbag sensor is too sensitive. I put anything in the passenger seat i get the seat bell ding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts