BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally managed to get back from school and swap my winter tires this weekend. As I was taking them off, I noticed that the tires were directional, and I had managed to mount them all going the wrong direction back in January*. Next winter, when I put them back on, should I mount them the way they were this winter (the wrong way), or swap them across sides (not front<->rear) so that they're turning in the right direction? I'm guessing it's the former - wouldn't the suspension settings mean that the wheels on both sides of the car wear differently?

Also, when removing/replacing the right rear wheel, I noticed that the rim's fit with the hub was noticeably looser than was the case other three wheels. While the others required a bit of force to get them flush with the hub, this wheel just slid right on. I had lithium grease on all of them, but even taking that into account this one seemed rather less secure than the others. I know that the bolts hold the wheel on, not the hub, but nonetheless - is this normal?

* it was late and I was tired. Why yes, I am an idiot, thank you for asking.

·
Padawan
1,430 Posts
avalys said:
As I was taking them off, I noticed that the tires were directional, and I had managed to mount them all going the wrong direction back in January*.
And you go to MIT?? It doesn't take a rocket scientist.... :rofl:

--J.

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
Mount them the right way. But for most tires, it only makes a difference in deep water.

Stock wheels? If so, I have no idea. If aftermarket, you may have lost a centering ring. Stock wheels are bored to the proper diameter, aftermarket wheels are typicaly oversized bore and then use a press in ring to make them right.

YES, it does make a difference, as the bolts hold the wheel on, but the hub bore fit is suppsed to take a lot of the loads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.