Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone just joined.

Want to know what i should do i have to change one of my rear tyres (puncture) :( i have run flats but heard alot of people say use soft tyres.

Should i change all 4 to soft tyres if so what would the size be for me ideal to use?

I have a 320i m sport 2008

Front: 225/35/19
Rear:255/30/19

Any advice would be appreciated on types of soft tyres to use and sizeing or just buy a run flat tyre and get my rear tyre replaced.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
You use the same tire size as the RFTs.

Unless you have a reason for changing the tire size (performance, cost, etc), it stays the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply could you clarify how performance will be imporved as i know ride quality is better switching from RFTs to soft tyres.

Also has anyone ever done this change to Non RFTs

i have a few days to make a decision and want to make right one for me as alloy wheel cracking is my biggest fear.

·
Evil cider brewer
22,845 Posts
Non-runflat tires will give softer ride, better performance, and are usually cheaper. They will also protect your rims better from cracking or bending. I had the same dilemma as you: ruined a rear, and decided that rather than buy one very expensive runflat, the money would be better spent towards 4 new Micheliin Pilot Super Sports.

·
Evil cider brewer
22,845 Posts
Oh, and I was able to sell the 2 front tires to a gentleman who needed them for a lease return!

·
Evil cider brewer
22,845 Posts
Thanks for reply mate how much did your 4 new tyres cost if you dont mind me asking?
I'm in California. They were $1300 out the door with TPMS rebuild, and 4 tire full replacement warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's interesting to see this post... I currently have an issue where every 750-1k miles I have to fill up my driver side rear tire with air. I'm assuming that there is a slight crack/bend in the rim as this is the third time I've had to do it. Does anybody know if my 'wheel/tire package' that I bought from the BMW dealership would cover this? I know I can call them up and ask but I thought I'd do some homework before I do so... Thanks.

·
Evil cider brewer
22,845 Posts
Pull out your paperwork, and see what it actually covers. There could be a small deductible. Short answer is, yes, that's what it covers.

·
Evil cider brewer
22,845 Posts
Most cracks will be on the insides of the wheel, so you may want to check your other 3 also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that is interesting my back two always seem to loose alot of air after 2 weeks must be an alloy issue i might just get all alloys checked and put on non RFTS and hope for the best haha

·
Evil cider brewer
22,845 Posts
The backs seem to take a harder hit for some reason, and are the first to crack. I've replaced one, and had the other repaired. No issues since ditching the runflats!

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Thanks for reply could you clarify how performance will be imporved as i know ride quality is better switching from RFTs to soft tyres.

Also has anyone ever done this change to Non RFTs

i have a few days to make a decision and want to make right one for me as alloy wheel cracking is my biggest fear.
Wider tires will give more contact patch on the road and therefore, more grip.

335 guys normally try and fit the widest tires to maximize the grip on the road.

A 320 will not have enough power to really necessitate wider tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Winter is coming up this could raise another topic would you just get back two winter only.

I have 2 months still before winter hits here where i am.

Dilemea get used run flat or get all turrain soft tyres put on

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
It's interesting to see this post... I currently have an issue where every 750-1k miles I have to fill up my driver side rear tire with air. I'm assuming that there is a slight crack/bend in the rim as this is the third time I've had to do it. Does anybody know if my 'wheel/tire package' that I bought from the BMW dealership would cover this? I know I can call them up and ask but I thought I'd do some homework before I do so... Thanks.
Check the tire stem....I had a slow leak in my front passenger tire for aver 2 years and after switching tires, I was like, well the tire is new, it can't be that. So I thought my wheel was cracked.

Nope....tire stem was loose lol

I didn't catch it sooner because it would only leak when it was cold out. Like under 60 degrees where the seal contracted enough to form a leak.

·
Evil cider brewer
22,845 Posts
Winter is coming up this could raise another topic would you just get back two winter only.

I have 2 months still before winter hits here where i am.

Dilemea get used run flat or get all turrain soft tyres put on
What's your weather like in winter? My PSS don't like ice, or even cold, (below 35 F), but they are fine in the rain. They also stick like glue on dry pavement, which I couldn't say for the Bridgestone RFT's that they replaced.
When the weather get's too bad I just take the wife's car. :p

·
Registered
443 Posts
Wider, while maintaining wheel diameter, mainly changes tire profile. Lower profile creates a stiffer sidewall and a tire that's more responsive. It does not necessarily increase mechanical grip unless the car is under spring and the stiffer tire effectively increases the spring rate. In a lot of conditions, the narrower tire can provide more traction. Especially on un-smooth pavement, gravel, rain & snow.

One risk of going from a RFT to a go-flat is that you have a suspension that was tuned for a firmer sidewall. This could negatively impact handling. However, most reports are that it does not. I suspect that the more supple tire absorbs road imperfections better and the reduced unsprung weigh of the lighter tire offsets any effective reduction in spring rate.

·
Evil cider brewer
22,845 Posts
Sometimes softer sidewall creates better contact patch. Different tire compounds also affect this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts