Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to BMW and I was told that I will need to buy 4 new tyres.

When I purchased the car I had 245/45 R18 100V fit both in rear and front.

I found out that there is an option to buy 275/40 R18 tyres as rear and 245 for the front ones.

1) Will it will consume more fuel?
2) Is it better to have 275 size tyres on the back or all 245 tyres like I had because it is easier for me to buy 4 the same ones, what are the benefits?

And finally, is it better to buy tyres with BMW recommended star on them ? Because I found another nice ones but they have no star on them but they are popular.

BMW 5 518d 2014.

Screenshot attached from online shop and my car's manual. 3.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I found out that there is an option to buy 275/40 R18 tyres as rear and 245 for the front ones.

1) Will it will consume more fuel?
2) Is it better to have 275 size tyres on the back or all 245 tyres like I had because it is easier for me to buy 4 the same ones, what are the benefits?

And finally, is it better to buy tyres with BMW recommended star on them ? Because I found another nice ones but they have no star on them but they are popular.
First and foremost, check with the authorities that are registering your vehicle to be used in your country. I cannot say what is your country of residence, but in most EU countries you cannot use tire sizes as you please. Unfortunately, you can in U.S.

Now, to your questions:

1. No. Your right foot determines how much fuel you use. I drove my E92 in both scenarios and fuel consumption difference, if it changed, was negligible.

2. My best entertainment with that car was with 225 wide tire all around. Car came OEM with 225 in the front and 255 in the rear.

3. In my experience, no, buying star-rated tire is worse. But that is simply because back then, all star rated tires for my car were run flats and I didn't want them. On my current car, I can really feel the subtle difference between N-spec and not-N-spec tires. However, there is a trade-off. So, you cannot just win, you have to pick trait of the tire that is more important to you.

Best of luck to you.

·
where da clutch at ?
2,709 Posts
staggered or square makes no difference at all to performance, road holding or anything else
it is just for the looks

I drive staggered summer and square winter

You car and suspension and handling is decided upon the tires you use, stay within the recommend size for your model (or models if applicable) if you upgrade you may need to upgrade bushings, brakes and suspension components

you only have what abaut a 5" foot print on each tire, that is ALL that is between you and 3/4 of a tonne (or however much it weighs) car hurtling along a public highway at xxxmph, remember that

/QUOTE]

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,658 Posts
If you have staggered rims you should use staggered tires, but if all 4 rims are the same size so should be the tires. There is an advantage to a square setup - tire rotation.

Posted through Tapatalk downloaded to my neural implant

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,512 Posts
staggered or square makes no difference at all to performance, road holding or anything else
it is just for the looks
Erm, no.... Choosing a staggered vs. square setup affects the handling balance of the car. Wider tires at the rear (relative to the front) provide increased grip at the rear, which equates to an increased tendency to understeer.

Contrariwise, moving to a square setup from a stock staggered fitment shifts the handling balance toward oversteer.

·
where da clutch at ?
2,709 Posts
On a road car, daily driver, stuck in traffic, there is NO DIFFERENCE, it is purely for looks, stance and posing in a Tim Horton's (or other coffee shop)
with 10 of your mates. BTW Girls really don't care less if your back tires are wider than the front :)

Staggering is done also on road cars, to emulate performance race car's such as formula 1 type cars which certainly do need it,
but they are tracking there car at over 200MPH, they need the traction. So it's a great sales technique to have a car with a great stance and FO big rear wheels.

Most cars are non-staggered because it's easier on rotation, cheaper, and works fine.

Staggered are however used in a few cases for track-level performance and to fix design flaws whilst tracking. ROAD CARS are built for the road NOT TRACK.

For example some cars are built for track and down graded for road, for example Porsches, 911. You don't need to change a lot on them TO track them, but whilst they are production cars they are BUILT and designed to track and race.

Car''s like these would be harder to drive if it were non-staggered. The grip on the front would greatly exceed the backs in general use, because the drive wheels are in the back, and the weight is too. Also, if you put the backs on the front, would make the steering heavy, slow, and without feedback.

For your daily drive you are ALWAYS best to stick with stock-like sizes and ratios.
There are more engineering considerations you might **** up if you go messing with sizes.

The OP is not tracking his car and I doubt he's going to be doing 200+ on a hiway, that is if he wants to keep his licence.

My original statement holds true, for 95% of road cars driven on a public hiway

BTW, I drive rather spirtly in mine and notice no difference whatsoever in square or staggered setup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts