BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hope somebody may be able to help.my car has been parked up outside the house for approx 18mths,due to having company vehicle.in this time whilst not being used it has developed an overheating problem.have renewed thermostat,all heating and ventilation working fine.there is no sign of oil emulsification,has any body had asimilar problem or does anybody have any suggestions.

·
The Ornery Old Man
980 Posts
When does it overheat?

If it overheats at idle, or stopped in traffic you most likely have an airflow problem. Fan clutch is likely and possibly aux electric fans though less likely in the winter.

If overheating at road speed, there is plenty of airflow, you have a coolant pumping issue. Water pump is likely, some sort of blockage is possible.

I wouldn't always assume a headgasket on a 535, the big six is wonderfully durable, just don't overheat it badly, or often.

So if the coolant level is good, the thermostat is new, the system is filled and giving cabin heat, and the cooling system has been drained and filled, I think it is one of the above suggestions depending on symptoms.

Good Luck

·
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
3,287 Posts
When does it overheat?

If it overheats at idle, or stopped in traffic you most likely have an airflow problem. Fan clutch is likely and possibly aux electric fans though less likely in the winter.

If overheating at road speed, there is plenty of airflow, you have a coolant pumping issue. Water pump is likely, some sort of blockage is possible.

I wouldn't always assume a headgasket on a 535, the big six is wonderfully durable, just don't overheat it badly, or often.

So if the coolant level is good, the thermostat is new, the system is filled and giving cabin heat, and the cooling system has been drained and filled, I think it is one of the above suggestions depending on symptoms.

Good Luck
We doing archaeological digs now?

#superoldthread

Sent from Joe's Galaxy SIII via BimmerApp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts