BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I recently replaced the water pump and thermostat in my 2006 530xi(T). I made a video that might help anyone attempting this job (couldn't find any other videos for the xi vehicles, which are MUCH different than the RWD variants).

FWIW, you don't have to remove the U-hose - just pull out the pump and thermostat together.

Also, you don't have to remove the smaller of the two hoses attached to the rear of the thermostat. That one is the infamous "mickey mouse hose" (because of the easily breakable two-bolt connection to the block that are configured like Mickey's ears). You can leave that hose attached to the thermostat and just pull it out with the thermostat (after removing the upper two bolts and any clips holding the hose, of course). I also pre-installed that hose on my thermostat, rather than fighting to install the clamp through the narrow space between the thermostat and subframe (and a couple hundred other bits that are in the way). ;-)

I'd add that if you're attempting to replace the water pump without removing the thermostat... why? You really don't want to have to go back in and replace a defective thermostat in six months (just as hard the second time). Do both at the same time - the cost is minimal, and the security is priceless1! ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for all the write ups here. Just replaced the water pump/thermostat on my 2010 535xi touring. What I learned in these posts made it doable.

·
Premium Member
2001 325i sedan 5mt, 2009 535xi Touring 6mt
775 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for all the write ups here. Just replaced the water pump/thermostat on my 2010 535xi touring. What I learned in these posts made it doable.
Did you drop your subframe? I haven't done this job but I did remove my turbos 2 years ago to fix my wastegates. It actually wasn't that bad at all to drop the subframe, just really expensive for all those single-use fasteners. I debated water pump at the time but didn't want to throw another $500 at the job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, I did not drop the subframe, I removed the fan and turbo inlet pipe. I was able to reach everything from there. The hose clamp for the main outlet of the pump was clocked odd, like most have noted here. I was able to get at it from the bottom with a long extension and a friend. I guided the socket on to the clamp and he turned from below. Getting that hose back on to the new pump took a couple of tries with picks to pull the hose on. That hose on and off was the toughest part, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I'm doing this project today and it was surprisingly easy to get the thermostat and pump out. After removing the two bolts holding the thermostat to the pump, I was able to rotate the thermostat counterclockwise (looking from the front of the car) and access the bottom side of it to undo the clamps on the two hoses. Then it popped out. Next I was able to do something similar with the pump now that there was more room. I pushed it up and rotated a few degrees clockwise and could easily access the clamps underneath. I did use a swivel socket and an electric ratchet wrench as it was easier than a manual screwdriver. Now just cleaning up lots of parts and will start reassembling. I think I'll put the U-shaped hose on the pump first, then connect to the engine hose (going up above the turbos) and put it in. Then I'll do the thermostat with the hose attached that goes up to the cylinder head.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I like the idea of using an electric ratchet for those finicky (and hidden) hose clamps. As I'd mentioned, I found it easier to leave the "hardest hose" (the one that terminates in the Mickey Mouse ears) attached to the thermostat, and take it out with the t-stat and water pump. Did the presence of the turbos make the job harder, or would it be the same as my normally aspirated (read slow and reliable) car?

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
The only thing the turbos do is put the charge pipe in the way, so not much really. It’s the subframe that is in the way but I found I could push the tstat and pump up enough to get to the clamps beneath.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Let us know how it goes. If you find any short cuts for reassembly post it. I’m approaching 230,000 and it failed at 75,000, 150,000, and was waiting for the 225,000 failure.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
It is my personal opinion that the pump replacement is much easier than what I have read. What slowed me down the most was getting the parts all cleaned and installing the charge pipes once I had the radiator in, probably should have done them before or something. There is a lot of piping in these cars.
I found that once I unbolted them thermostat and had removed the easy lines from the front/top, that I could rotate it quite a bit as well as lift it some. I was able to get my screwdriver and ratchet under it to remove the hose clamps. Then after pulling it out I was able to do something similar with the pump.
To install, I put the U-hose onto the pump and thermostat first, as well as the hose that goes on the thermostat to the cylinder head. I installed them as one unit into the car. Was a bit tight squeezing it under the pump output hose, but wasn’t too bad.
I have a 2009 535xi and I did not unbolt them subframe or the aluminum reinforcement panel. I probably spent about 10 hours on this, but also did ignition coils and voltage regulator at the same time.
I also refreshed all the coolant lines except it turns out the most expensive line, which is from BMW (the one that goes from the expansion tank to the thermostat and to the radiator, it had a metal “Y” in it) I got for an automatic and so it is useless to me. It has one extra hookup on it and I have no pipe for that. The vendor I bought it from (germanparts.ca) has a photo up of the manual transmission version, but I see inside the ad it says for automatic and has the automatic part number. So it was my mistake. My local dealership says it has to come from Germany and will take a month. So if any of you are doing this, let me know and I’ll give you a deal on this. This vendor does not sell the manual transmission version.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I have one of the new, taller QuickJack’s (BL-5000TLX) but I had it on the lower lift height most of the time. Jackstands would totally have sufficed. I just got the QuickJack a few months ago.
Ramps would have been fine as well as I never went further under the car than the front bumper.

My view from below with the pump out.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive air manifold

41 - 51 of 51 Posts