BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lifetime Bimmer Fan
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has taken BMW up on their offer for a factory tour. I know many of you have picked up your X5 PCD and everyone seems very happy with the experience. I'm just wondering if the day is worthwhile if you are not picking up your new ride. BMW tells me the experience is pretty much the same except you don't drive your new ride home.

How far or how much effort is worthwhile for the visit? Is it worth flying in for? Worth it if you are only a few hours away by car? I may find myself 3 hours away during the next few months on a business trip and if so, then I may go for it. But is it worth a separate trip?

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

·
Drive it like u stole it!
804 Posts
I think that it is worth the trip. Especually if you own a bimmer. It is pretty cool seeing the trucks being built as you walk through. The driving part of the day is also really fun. If you are going to go down there, you should take one of the one day driving courses.

·
Registered
512 Posts
if you plan to be in the area i would suggest a "M" school. otherwise there ain't sh*t to do in Spartanburg.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was disappointed with the tour. You are shown very little of the overall assembly process.

Without the pcd I would not take the time or spend a cent.

·
Lifetime Bimmer Fan
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback thus far...I hope to get a few more opinions...as of now, looks like it may be a fun thing to do if another day of driving school was part of the trip. I'll check out the driving school options and see if I can swing the time and money.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Have not done the Spartanburg tour but have done the Munich factory tour. It was a little over an hour and it was interesting and worthwhile but it wasn't something I'd go 3 hours out of my way for. It really depends on how much this type of exposure intrigues you. The coolest things for me were seeing how quickly and precisely the robots can maneuver in very tight spaces and how quickly a car body gets painted.

But if you combine the tour with track time and Zentrum...that is a different story.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I did European Delivery and Performance Center Re-Delivery....we skipped the factory tour in Germany because, frankly, we wanted to get on the road. When we picked up the car in South Carolina, the factory tour was built into the schedule, and while it was interesting, it isn't the sort of experience for which I'd have gone out of my way.

Definitely try to swing some track time if you're going to be there. I just did the one-day M school last month - it was a FANTASTIC experience.

·
Banned
387 Posts
Wait time for PDC/factory pick up was too long, but I did drive to Spartanburg in January for the Zentrum and factory tour. Overall, the factory tour was pretty amazing, watching how they made my car. My friend and I both felt too much was left out (paint booth for starters. Come on BMW, you couldn't put in a window we could look through?). But, overall I felt the 3 hour drive was worth it, we had a great time. Museum was cool, great history and some pretty awesome cars!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts