Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I havent seen anyone post any pic of their ultimate drive events so here I go...Ok, went to the ultimate drive event last weekend and :wow: what a good time. My only disappointment was that I only got to drive 2 cars. I got there towards the end of the day and it was very busy. Good thing I registered ahead of time, but I only got to drive my two reservations. The first car I drove was the 745Li. WOW! What a car! The seats were amazingly comfortable. Probably the most comfortable car Ive ever driven. The I-drive was some what tricky to get used to, I can understand why some people hate it and trouble using it. I didnt really notice it untill the day after but for a big car the 7er didnt really seem all that huge while driving it. Over all I thought the 7er was one hell of a car. The next car I drove was the Z4 3.0i. OMG!!!!! The Z4 was definitely the highlight of my day. The sound of the engine was absolutely beautiful! I also thought the steering feel of the Z4 was amazing! It definitely made the steering feel in my 325 feel numb. I was hoping to drive a Z4 with a 6 speed or SMG, but I got stuck with the step (I guess Mr. Sparkle’s review on his SMG Z4 will do for now). Like Mr. Sparkle said in his review the sport mode should NEVER be turned off. I had a 99 Z3 2.5 before my 325Ci and IMHO the Z4 puts the Z3 to shame. I know the engine difference is huge, the Z4 just felt more comfortable and somewhat bigger to me than the Z3 did. I used think that my next car would be a 330Ci, however after driving the Z4 I think I might have to consider getting a roadster again. Overall I had a great time at the ultimate drive and look forward to doing it again next year. :thumbup: :drive:

Attachments

·
Spelling Impaired
5,653 Posts
I was only in the country for a few months following the purchase of my car and never was exposed to the Drive for a Cure event except for comments here.

How does the who affair work. I understand you sign up to drive certain cars at a dealership, but how do they raise money? Do they charge per car or is it a donation by the driver before/after completion of the test drives.

I think it is a great idea not only for the cause it supports, but from the test drive stand point. I would love to participate when I get back to the states this fall.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Desertnate said:
I was only in the country for a few months following the purchase of my car and never was exposed to the Drive for a Cure event except for comments here.

How does the who affair work. I understand you sign up to drive certain cars at a dealership, but how do they raise money? Do they charge per car or is it a donation by the driver before/after completion of the test drives.

I think it is a great idea not only for the cause it supports, but from the test drive stand point. I would love to participate when I get back to the states this fall.
IMO its a pretty cool event. What you do is basically test drive BMW's all day long and at the end of the day BMW donates $1 for every mile driven that day for breast cancer research. Anyone can stop by and drive. Just be sure to pre-register for the cars you want to drive :thumbup:

·
2,457 Posts
Sounds like you had fun. I've done the Drive for 4 years now, and it's a blast. The CCA chapters solicit people to drive the next dealer at the end of the day, and I do that as well.

Funny, I'm headed out the the BMW Gallery right now for the Drive for the Cure. I'm curious if they'll have 3 Z4's there as well (maybe you meant 3 pics of the same car??). I signed up for a noon and 1pm time slot, but I go early every year and drive 'em all. Can't wait to hit the 760...

·
10,856 Posts
LarryN said:
Sounds like you had fun. I've done the Drive for 4 years now, and it's a blast. The CCA chapters solicit people to drive the next dealer at the end of the day, and I do that as well.

Funny, I'm headed out the the BMW Gallery right now for the Drive for the Cure. I'm curious if they'll have 3 Z4's there as well (maybe you meant 3 pics of the same car??). I signed up for a noon and 1pm time slot, but I go early every year and drive 'em all. Can't wait to hit the 760...
Three Z4s: 3.0 step, 2.5 step, 2.5 manual.

Guess which one I drove. :str8pimpi

I would have liked to try the 3.0 step, but it got too late in the evening and they needed us to stick around and prep for the drive to DE.

·
Spelling Impaired
5,653 Posts
Closer said:
IMO its a pretty cool event. What you do is basically test drive BMW's all day long and at the end of the day BMW donates $1 for every mile driven that day for breast cancer research. Anyone can stop by and drive. Just be sure to pre-register for the cars you want to drive :thumbup:
That does sound pretty worth while. On average how much driving do you do? Do they have a set route, or do you just take off and have a good time in the car?

·
2,457 Posts
You get a laminated sheet of paper, and they reset your trip odometer. The paper says:

.7 mi Take right into Main Street
1.5 mi Take left onto Oak Street

It goes on to do some residential, some twisty, and some highway locations, and is supposed to last around 30-45 minutes.

It is pretty fun, that's why I'm leaving early to hit up as many cars as I can.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LarryN said:

So you mean that you are actually going to drive the cars to next dealer too. :yikes: Now thats cool. I wish I could have signed up for that! The 3 pics of the Z4 were all the same car. Now go have some fun :drive:

·
Registered
483 Posts
At least you guys got to experience something I didn't - good weather. I went to three separate events, and it was raining every time.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
So you mean that you are actually going to drive the cars to next dealer too. Now thats cool. I wish I could have signed up for that! The 3 pics of the Z4 were all the same car. Now go have some fun

We did that about a month ago when the cars were in Jersey. It was a Saturday and we drove the cars from DiFeo in Northern NJ to some dealer in mid-NJ (Can't remember the dealer's name) and I have to say it was some of the most enthusiastic driving I've done in a while. I drove the 330Cic and my wife drove the 745i.

It was raining heavily but that didn't stop us enthusiasts from having a ball. There was one simple rule. Don't pass the lead car or the signature car. All else was fair game (Sure they told us to 'take it easy' but, you know.... :D :D :D ) For the lead pack of cars, you can say we were like dolphins in the water. We all stayed together and once in a while we'd try to pass each other - never passing the lead car in the process- and just had a blast. There are some great drivers out there.

I stress that I had a blast. My wife pulled into the dealership about 10 minutes after the rest of us. Here's why.

We took the NJ Turnpike to get to the next dealership and were given $2.00 for toll money. As you get on the turnpike, you get a card with your entry # stamped. Well, my wife took that card and put it on the console. Guess what happened next? The card fell through the crack and her card was lost. To make things more interesting - I had her license in my wallet (remember, it was raining heavily that day and she didn't want to bring her bag and get it all wet while we were driving all the cars). So when she pulls up to the toll booth she can't produce a ticket. She also can't produce a registration or her license or any money (except $2.00) for that matter. Here is the simulated conversation between her and the toll collector:

toll collector: Ticket.

wife: The ticket fell throught the crack in the console of this car.

toll collector: You need to pay the full amount for the toll then.

wife: How much is that?

toll collector: $5.00

wife: I have no money except these $2.00

toll collector: OK. Pull over to the side.

wife: (pulls over to the side. Her foot is on the brake)

toll collector: Can you back up a little?

wife: I don't know how to put this car into reverse.

toll collector: Park your car.

wife: I don't know how to park this car.

toll collector: How did you put this car in drive?

wife: I don't remember. I pushed something.

toll collector: OK. Can you turn the turn signals off?

wife: They'll turn themselves off when they feel like it.

toll collector: Can I have the registration?

wife: I don't know where it is. It's not my car. I'm driving this car to raise money for breast cancer.

toll collector: Can I have your license.

wife: My husband has it.

toll collector: Where is your husband?

wife: In the car up ahead.

BMW 745i: You have deactivated the Stability Control System.
Please drive safely.

wife: Damned iDrive!

toll collector: Who are you talking to?

wife: The car. It has voice recognition.

toll collector: Oh. Where is your husband?

wife: He's up ahead and he has my license in his wallet.

toll collector: OK. Write down your name and address and you can send in your payment here.

wife: Thank you.

By the time my wife pulled in I could see the look on her face. :mad: :mad: :mad: Not a happy camper. We gave the payment invoice to the guys running the show and hopefully the toll will be paid.

On the ride home she couldn't stop talking about how much she hated that car. When we did get home my Car and Driver mag was waiting for me. And it had the review of the 760 vs S600. In it they wrote that you may need to take an Anger Management Class after driving the 7 series. We laughed the whole night.

·
Here since day one
7,173 Posts
I drove that 330Cic and it vibrated like a mutha !!!!

That thing rode so badly . . . it definitely needed a wheel balancing or maybe it had too much air in the tires !!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
shabbaman said:

toll collector: Ticket.

wife: The ticket fell throught the crack in the console of this car.

toll collector: You need to pay the full amount for the toll then.

wife: How much is that?

toll collector: $5.00

wife: I have no money except these $2.00

toll collector: OK. Pull over to the side.

wife: (pulls over to the side. Her foot is on the brake)

toll collector: Can you back up a little?

wife: I don't know how to put this car into reverse.

toll collector: Park your car.

wife: I don't know how to park this car.

toll collector: How did you put this car in drive?

wife: I don't remember. I pushed something.

toll collector: OK. Can you turn the turn signals off?

wife: They'll turn themselves off when they feel like it.

toll collector: Can I have the registration?

wife: I don't know where it is. It's not my car. I'm driving this car to raise money for breast cancer.

toll collector: Can I have your license.

wife: My husband has it.

toll collector: Where is your husband?

wife: In the car up ahead.

BMW 745i: You have deactivated the Stability Control System.
Please drive safely.

wife: Damned iDrive!

toll collector: Who are you talking to?

wife: The car. It has voice recognition.

toll collector: Oh. Where is your husband?

wife: He's up ahead and he has my license in his wallet.

toll collector: OK. Write down your name and address and you can send in your payment here.

wife: Thank you.

By the time my wife pulled in I could see the look on her face. :mad: :mad: :mad: Not a happy camper. We gave the payment invoice to the guys running the show and hopefully the toll will be paid.

On the ride home she couldn't stop talking about how much she hated that car. When we did get home my Car and Driver mag was waiting for me. And it had the review of the 760 vs S600. In it they wrote that you may need to take an Anger Management Class after driving the 7 series. We laughed the whole night.
:rofl: :bustingup: Thats too bad, at least the toll collector was somewhat understanding.

·
spin meister
51 Posts
Last week's Osbournes had Ozzy and crew in his new 7, his computer conversation is funny. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts