BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in what people think are the best drives in Europe. I'll have a little more than 2 weeks and can't decide on either going north (Paris, Amsterdam, Romatic Road) or South (Italy, Switzerland, Austria) What was your favorite driving experience from your ED?

·
ZHPper
2,130 Posts
gsko said:
I'm interested in what people think are the best drives in Europe. I'll have a little more than 2 weeks and can't decide on either going north (Paris, Amsterdam, Romatic Road) or South (Italy, Switzerland, Austria) What was your favorite driving experience from your ED?
We've always had the best times following a river somewhere. The Neckar west into Heidelberg. the Rhine south of Koblenz and the Mosel. Traffic can be bad, but the scenery is always fantastic. Been up and down the Romantic Route 3 times....it's fun. We dropped off in Paris last year. You will get lot's of help here, I guarantee it!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You can't really go wrong. I did 4500 miles last time in all directions.. ok, not east... dropped off in London. They are all good! Wherever you want to end up, go that way... I'm going Wednesday, we have the first two days planned and the drop-off date, 13 days betweeen we are just winging it, (with broad sketches of what we might want to do) that's a certain way to find something interesting. :)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
gsko said:
If I had that kind of time my itinerary would look like this.

Munich(maybe Salzburg)
Fussen/Innsbruck
Venice
Florence
Nice
Switzerland
Paris(drop off car)
Chunnel to London

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
*When* are you going? Weather might dictate a lot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ågent99 said:
*When* are you going? Weather might dictate a lot.
I'm waiting for the E90's to arrive so I can see the colors in person and test drive. I'll probably order sometime around May 1st so I can expect an ED sometime after August 1st. So hopefully between August 1st and the end of September.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
That's the smart way to do it. I waited for one thing, then BMW introduced a new color to M3s. So, I waited again.. I saw some pictures that looked really promising, then I finally saw it in person and didn't like it... Pickup my original choice of color (Imola) Friday.

gsko said:
I'm waiting for the E90's to arrive so I can see the colors in person and test drive. I'll probably order sometime around May 1st so I can expect an ED sometime after August 1st. So hopefully between August 1st and the end of September.

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
gsko said:
In addition to the weather point, 2 thoughts:

1) What good is a new BMW in a city? It's just a liability, so I would minimize time with teh car in cities.

2) Driving on twisty mountain roads is likely to be more fun than flatter plains road.

That said, if you really want to go to cities, that's fine, but I would advise dropping off the car at the beginning of your stay in the last city (e.g., Paris) so you don't have to pay for parking or worry about the car.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think you have to drive through the mountains.

We went in August and went to Salzburg and then south from there on the Grossglockner Strasse which is I believe the Austrian national highway or park road and it is wonderful. Stayed in a little town called Heiligenblut and went on to Venice. From there we went north to the lake region north of Milan and then north to Amsterdam where we left from. I agree that big cities are not the fun part of the trip. The best thing to do is to find a smaller city and stay there and go on day trips. Amsterdam is far but it is a great city and a wonderful point for dropoff as the dropoff is at the airport.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.