BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my 2017 X1 in December 2016, I also purchased the BMW Ultimate Care + 1. When I hit 20K miles, I had the oil changed and wanted the wipers changed. I was informed by the service rep that it is too soon to replace. Therefore needing wipers I went to Costco and purchased a set for $15.00 vs the $70.00 from the dealer. Today, 6 February 19, I went in for the 36K maintenance and asked them to replace the wipers under the maintenance agreement. Well now I found out that I voided the agreement because I put the Costco / Goodyear wipers on. I asked could you not replace in order to provide good customer service. The service rep said no because they have to return the wipers to BMW. Is this true or is the dealership representative giving me some BS?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't have the maintenance contract... but that seems like BS. No way are they going to send used wipers back to BMW for inspection.

·
Registered
2018 X5M
1,714 Posts
Reason when I decline all offered insurance products by F&I and just self insure during the lease.

I also purchased Costco wipers for both of my M's, but haven't required to replaced the OEM wipers. Will this be a 'ding' at lease turn in if the Costco wipers are on, otherwise I'll save the OEM wipers when I replace and put back on prior to lease turn in.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Reminds me of the incident I had trying to get coverage under my tire & wheel policy, although that was a third party. Long story short I was driving across country and had a flat en route. Got it replaced with a used non-matching tire at a local shop as there was no dealer around. Got to CA and went to dealer to have it replaced with a new matching tire and insurance declined saying I didn't have the original damaged tire (It was back in PA where I had gotten it fixed). Thankfully BMWNA stepped up and did the right thing and covered the replacement.

I would talk to the service manager, and if needed escalate.

·
Ziggy.
424 Posts
I work at bmw and ive never returned wiper blades, the only reason why they wouldnt put em on is if the x1 uses wiper inserts which requires the factory blades. if they just replace the whole blade assembly find another dealer

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I work at bmw and ive never returned wiper blades, the only reason why they wouldnt put em on is if the x1 uses wiper inserts which requires the factory blades. if they just replace the whole blade assembly find another dealer
Thank you for responding!

·
Ziggy.
424 Posts
Thank you for responding!
also wipers are once a year. so what ive seen people do is if they needed new blades between the free replacements they just buy non oem blades then save the factory blades so then can be swapped back on during service's. and ive gotten into the habit of checking the car to see if they have the oem blades if i find that there are aftermarket blades on and the vehicle calls for inserts.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,840 Posts
The only thing that matters are the terms of your WRITTEN agrement/policy.

"BMW wants the blades back" or "this is how BMW wants it done" are of zero concern.

Unless there is a clause in the maintenace plan that restiicts you freon I using non-branded parts, they must replace them irrespective of what is on the car.

Did you immediately ask to speak to the service manager or GM? I won't tolerate such petty stupidity.....

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
As wipers are no longer covered under standard free maintenance for 2017 MY forward, it's likely they can replace them with a defect claim under warranty. Then they need the part.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,840 Posts
When I purchased my 2017 X1 in December 2016, I also purchased the BMW Ultimate Care + 1.
As wipers are no longer covered under standard free maintenance for 2017 MY forward, it's likely they can replace them with a defect claim under warranty. Then they need the part.
Nor under the extended 'Care_+1

3The BMW Ultimate Care program covers all factory-recommended scheduled maintenance services as determined by the Service Interval Indicator for all new eligible model year 2017 and later BMW vehicles. Specific additional items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear are not covered. The maintenance coverage period is for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Exclusions from coverage include: gasoline, gasoline additives, windshield washer fluid, fluid top-offs, battery, tires, wheels, wheel alignment, wear and tear items such as brake pads, brake rotors, wiper blades, clutches and tire balancing. All work must be performed by an authorized BMW Center. See the Service and Warranty Information booklet for specific terms, conditions and limitations. Further information can also be obtained from your authorized BMW Center.
So the SA was wrong the first time through when he said 'too early'?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts