BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How does the Umnitza remote kit for their AE system work? Is it possible to make this work with the factory Hella lights and get the fade in/out? I prefer the look of the OEM Hella housings and color, but I've always thought the fade feature of the Umnitza lights was pretty cool.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I just don't understand how that can only be for aftermarket angel eye kits. If the OE angel eyes are just a standard bulb, can't that bulb just fade in like the bulb on the aftermarket kit? What kind of light source does the aftermarket kit use?

·
Registered
720 Posts
That's not the issue, the issue is that the OEM angel eyes get their power from a different source. It simply is not wired like an aftermarket set of angel eyes and as such the remote is not compatible with the stock form of wiring/

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jlevi SW said:
That's not the issue, the issue is that the OEM angel eyes get their power from a different source. It simply is not wired like an aftermarket set of angel eyes and as such the remote is not compatible with the stock form of wiring/
I guess I'm just not sure why I can't just wire my OEM angel eyes like an aftermarket set. I can buy a big spool of wire and do whatever I want. I'd like them to be on all the time like an aftermarket set and fade in and out with the remote kit, and maybe eventually get some sort of AE bulb kit to make them brighter during the day.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
3,247 Posts
Sure you could do that but you would have to futz with the OEM wiring to figure out where the positive is for the angel eyes. Once you go that, you can reroute the positive to the ECU and add in another trigger with relay to the interior lights which is what our remote kit does :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Vortec,

I'm interested in the same thing.... I've been giving it a lot of thoughts...

I know there are lots of complications, but few relays hooked up right will probably do the job...

The key is 5 prong relays, that's how those aftermarket AE remotes are setup too...

Basically... 5 prongs would be like this...

1 ground
2 + interior lights
3 + parking lights
4 + to AE bulb
5 - to AE bulb

and when it gets signal from interior lights, it directs it to 4 then around to 5 and back to 1

and when it gets signal from parking lights, then it also does the same...

so, when either is on, it will direct those power to them, and back to ground...

Let's keep this thread going until we find a definite way to do it...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That's a good idea so far, but I do see a couple problems with it.

I think you need to change the 3rd prong to + ignition wire, otherwise when you turn on the car they will fade back out and when you turn on the headlights they will turn back on without fading. If you do it the ignition wire, they'll fade on, stay on the entire time the car is on, then when you shut off the car and get out they'll stay on, and when you lock the car and the interior lights fade out so will the eyes.

EDIT: Here is a useful link for some relay information, maybe we can design something cool. http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp

·
Registered
329 Posts
Vortec4800 said:
That's a good idea so far, but I do see a couple problems with it.

I think you need to change the 3rd prong to + ignition wire, otherwise when you turn on the car they will fade back out and when you turn on the headlights they will turn back on without fading. If you do it the ignition wire, they'll fade on, stay on the entire time the car is on, then when you shut off the car and get out they'll stay on, and when you lock the car and the interior lights fade out so will the eyes.

EDIT: Here is a useful link for some relay information, maybe we can design something cool. http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp
That sounds even better...

There should be
+ 12v ignition somewhere in the engine ebay, or it can probably be tapped into at the electronics box in the engine bay. So, we just need to find solid sources for these Switched +12v, and Interior +12v... and we're done?? That seems way too easy...

We can probably pull both of these from the LCM...

One problem I see with this setup is that, you don't have a choise as to turning off the AE.
I might not want to have AE's on during day. So, I personally might keep the 3rd prong 12+ parking lights.

I might prefer to do it that way, I don't mind them turning off with the interior lights.

--------------

ps... another interesting thing I thought about is somehow putting some relays in so that angel eyes are on when the car is on, and when the side blinker is on, the corresponding angel eye blinks too... and when you turn use the remote, AE would blink like sideblinkers...

I'd prefer the fade in-out, but blinking AE is another thing to think about... It will very unique...

·
Registered
329 Posts
IanBMW said:
All that for just getting your angel eye's to fade. I love it. :) Or should I say we truly love our cars.
It's fun to do it not to mention it'll be nice when it's done...
I consider my car something like a toy that I can drive... not that i drive it like a toy on the streets...
It's something I play with...
Like when you were a kid, didn't you play with a firetruck toy or a police car toy or something? well we can't play with those now...
I know I played with mini cars with little motor and 2 double AA batteries in them, and I used to fix that up with sponge tires and like lower gears and stronger motors...
Then I played with RC cars... which are pretty much exactly like cars...
Now, I'm playing with a bmw...
Hopefully, I'll be playing with lamborghini gallardo someday...
Or even a fighter jet...

·
Registered
329 Posts
electronics box in the engine bay where all the modules are located is under the passenger side cabin filter.

i'm pretty sure lcm is there, but it might also be near passenger glove compartment.

i don't have the wiring diagram/input for it, that would be very helpful...

I know that red wire with black stripe is usually the switched 12v, and brown ground... depends on how many wires there are in the connector, you might be able to figure it out by looking at it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've actually read that the LCM is part of the light switch. Can anyone confirm this? Is anyone else reading this thread?

·
Registered
329 Posts
found it out...

my bentley says it is located behind the right front kick panel.

no guide as to install/removal...

I don't actually know where the kick panel is either... but this should help you find it....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts