Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, just finished installing a trailer hitch on a 2011 X5 35D, genuine BMW hitch/harness/AHM module. Turn signals aren't working. Get into NCSExpert to code the AHM module, and it isn't anywhere to be found when reading ECU, nor is AAG which I have seen some folks reference. Ideas?

Thank you in advance!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,211 Posts
No turn signals on the car? Or just at the trailer?

Double check your connections, all tight??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No turn signals on the vehicle. Haven't hooked up a trailer yet. All connections look good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I'll work on that.

New issues however, looks like the issue affects the power windows, hazard lights and headlights. Though daytime runners are fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, the only options codes I can find for the tow hitch are 8SL and 3AC. They are both added. Even after adding I am still not able to pull up the AHM module.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,211 Posts
Are these related to JBE issues???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No JBBF codes. Just a bunch of stuff that screams FCM to me. Separate issue from the coding problem though. Thats what I get for being bold enough to disconnect the negative on an e70. Screenshot attached.

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea. I've read you could brick it with any sort of power surge. Poor design, hence the 156k mile warranty. I'll be calling the stealership on Monday. We'll see what they have to say.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,211 Posts
Play it a bit dumb. If you tell them youve been coding, they could be a$$holes. I wouldnt even admit to adding a harness. Just "llights and stuff flaking out, my mechanic said its the FRM and there is a warranty", No matter what, they will not take your word for it and will need to verify themselves. If it IS the FRM, they cannot charge for diagnosis. They may insisit on possibly a fee if it isnt the FRM, but you should add (if necessary) '$0 if coverd by BMW warranty'

GL

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,474 Posts

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,111 Posts
So, the only options codes I can find for the tow hitch are 8SL and 3AC. They are both added. Even after adding I am still not able to pull up the AHM module.
In view of current issues you may not want to do anything else until basic functions are restored.

A quick search "X5 +AHMU" results in many discussions of this topic. You need to add +AHMU to the VO. If you added 8SL and 3AC then you should remove them. If they were already there leave them alone.

The general procedure is:
1) edit VO by adding +AHMU
2) Write the new VO to modules where VO is stored.
3) Default code affected modules. DO NOT PROCESS THE ENTIRE CAR, only individual modules

Make sure you have power supply connected while coding. I connect a 10amp charger and turn off all accessories including DRL's.

If you didn't write the modified VO to any modules, step 2 above, then just exit NCS Expert.

Did you write anything to the FRM?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
8SL and 3AC are trailer hitch preparation and power retractable hitch for the F15. You need to code the E70. +AHMU is the retrofit code. If you search my posts, you will see specifically what you need to add for each module.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,211 Posts
I just was trying to keep the thread alive until the smart guys got here.....

;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did not write anything so that should be fine. Nothing is resolved when ahm is removed.

Side note, does anyone have the SB for the extended FRM warranty? Dealership is stating 8y/125k when I know it was increased to 10y/156k in 2018 or so.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,211 Posts
Side note, does anyone have the SB for the extended FRM warranty? Dealership is stating 8y/125k when I know it was increased to 10y/156k in 2018 or so.
Did dealer ask for your VIN? Or just an SA talking out their.....

Should be listed when they pull up a status report on your specific car. In fact, even an SB will not be adequate- the mothership needs to list it....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts