BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help!!!! :mad:I am locked out of my 2002 325xit (wagon). I have tried opening the door manually using the keys but the lock is not engaging. The battery is dead so I cannot use the unlock button. We called a locksmith who tried using a hook and slim Jim but couldn't open the door using the driver side door, that didn't work either. We even tried reaching the latch to open the hood but couldn't reach it with the hook. :dunno::tsk:I am out of options and need to get the car running. Is there anyway to get the hood open or jump start the car in another way? I read something about jump starting the alternator... If anyone can point me in the right direction It would be great. I will have to break a window and try jumping the battery in the trunk if there is no other option.:bawling::bawling:

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Don't break a window. Are you sure the battery in the key is not dead? They can be cut open carefully and an energizer button batt used temporarily until a replacement rechargeable can be installed. If it really is the car battery you should be able to use the key to open the trunk. Battery is in there. You can jumper it for juice to open door. I would then jump start the car using the terminals under the hood. You probably need a new battery. E46 wiki link above your post has some info on all this. Specific steps to get hook through door to reenabled door pulls.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure it's the battery not the keys... From what I see the only keyhole is on the drivers side... Is there another one somewhere else?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
i guess u can break in your car from ur trunk.
follow the below vid
it shows you where u should drill a hole in your trunk right beneath the license plate, which will give you an opening to open the trunk. once open, you can fold the seats and get into the car from there.
for best results, make sure to have a car similar to yours, open their hood and see where exactly you should drill a hole
once your there, pop the hood, open the doors and see exactly what's goin on.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This has to be a joke. The trunk will open with the key. It's that simple. Either the op is joking or trying to break into someone else's car.

Agreed... My central locking was playing up before, I had to use just the key, it's mechanical so the battery will make no difference at all to the locking mechanism.

You turn the key which pulls a cable and opens the door/trunk.

:dunno:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is not a joke, I mentioned above it is a wagon the only keyhole is on the drivers side and the key is not working no matter how far I turn it in either direction.... So I can't open the hood, trunk, or doors. The battery is totally dead the car has not been moved in about 2 weeks. If I were trying to break in someones car I would have given up and found a easier one by now.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
Agreed... My central locking was playing up before, I had to use just the key, it's mechanical so the battery will make no difference at all to the locking mechanism.

You turn the key which pulls a cable and opens the door/trunk.

:dunno:
Except the wagon has no external key for the rear hatch. The only way to open it is electronically, or from the inside of the car.

If you do a search here, you'll find plenty of people that have had the door cylinder break on them. Usually, they use the remote to unlock the other doors and go in that way. With a dead battery, that won't work. On a sedan or coupe, you can always just go in through the trunk, but on a wagon you're screwed.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I would crawl under the car and see if I could pop the hood. Then you could jump the battery and the remote should work.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Except the wagon has no external key for the rear hatch. The only way to open it is electronically, or from the inside of the car.

If you do a search here, you'll find plenty of people that have had the door cylinder break on them. Usually, they use the remote to unlock the other doors and go in that way. With a dead battery, that won't work. On a sedan or coupe, you can always just go in through the trunk, but on a wagon you're screwed.
Ooof! That sucks.

Yeah, you'll have to find a way to get some voltage into the system, probably from underneath the car, or find a way to get the hood open.

If this were my car I'd find a way to build in a "backdoor" method of entry.

·
Registered
126 Posts

My mistake. I understand the issue now... I wouldn't start breaking things just yet... Did your locksmith try to jimmy the other doors? Surely the cables are still in tact on them even if the drivers door in Donald Ducked?

·
Cogito Ergo Zoom
3,579 Posts
Wagon's don't have a key hole on the trunk?
Nope.

I know it's not ideal, but maybe if you break out the left (drivers) side grill, you could get the hood release to open, then jump it. One grill has to be cheaper than a window...

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Nope.

I know it's not ideal, but maybe if you break out the left (drivers) side grill, you could get the hood release to open, then jump it. One grill has to be cheaper than a window...

This is probably the best option.

The grills are plastic and not unusual to have to replace one by the 10 year mark anyway and easily replaced. Only issue is the replacement grills have black on the front edges of the fins, and many of the originals had "chrome" paint. So you'd have to paint the fronts of the old grille black to match. I drove for a while with fishing line holding a broken grill in place til the new one came. Unless you're looking closely, you'll never notice.

And keep in mind that once inside the hood, there are power/jumper terminals on the passenger side toward the back of the engine bay. Apply power there and you're back in business. No alt boosting required.

Google "big easy car" and you'll see a product/method of wedging the door open then inserting a long metal rod. In that vid they use it to press buttons and lift knobs, etc. but if you get a rod long enough (say at a hardware store) and bend it properly, I'd bet you could eventually hook the hood release inside the car. Have someone watch from the passenger window to guide the hook. I'm sure you did this with the locksmith, but wonder if the hook rod was long enough/bent properly to reach. Further food for thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
*update*
So.. my husband and his friends were able to jack the car up on the drivers side and find the positive terminal for the alternator buried somewhere deep under the hood. They had both jumper cables and the battery pack but because of the awkward position they couldn't use either one easily. They finally reached it by stripping a wire we bought at autozone and securing it to a screwdriver which they wrapped in electrical tape and connected to the booster cables. This gave enough power to open the doors using the key... After finally getting in they changed the battery. Smh... Moral of the story change the battery at first sign of it weakening, and choose a car with more than one entry point next time.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Glad you were able to resolve without breaking anything, other than your will to own a BMW at this point. :yikes: You might be wise to figure out how they did what they did in post #4 above. would probably involve taking the rear hatch panel off to make sure you drill in the right spot, but you'd then have a method of entry that's not dependent on power. You could argue that this would make it easier for a thief, but any thief that knows about this method of entry would just probably bring their own drill anyway and you'd only save them about 1 minute in the grand scheme of things. There's always those that will just break a window to get in anyway so it's not much of an exposure IMO. The immobilizer is what deters most thieves trying to steal the car and keeping valuables out of view deters the others.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.