BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently got catless downpipes on my 335. Fortunately, I just got an inspection lol... but, in anticipation of trying to pass next year, I have a couple questions. I've been reading online and have learned alot, but still have some questions i can't seem to find answers for...

So, I live in Texas where we are allowed one "not ready" state and we can still pass. So, my question is, with the catless downpipes, do they throw MULTIPLE not ready codes, or just one? If just one, I should be good as long as I don't have any other not ready issues right?

It seems like some people are saying they can run through the "drive cycle" and then quickly go get an inspection and pass, is that true? Has anyone done that successfully without a DP fix?

How hard is the DP fix to put on and take off? I'm also worried it may not work, i've read stories when doing my research on this subject that sometimes you have to play with it alot to get it to show not ready.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Most states allow one monitor to be "not ready." However, your cat monitors will set fault codes before the EVAP system sets "ready" status. EVAP system takes the longest to set and is typically the last monitor to set ready status.

2009 was a transition year for motors in the sedan. If you have an N54 motor or a coupe/vert, you can use a DP fix. If you have an N55, you will need to install stock downpipes and set readiness before inspection or have a flash tune remove monitors/set readiness.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most states allow one monitor to be "not ready." However, your cat monitors will set fault codes before the EVAP system sets "ready" status. EVAP system takes the longest to set and is typically the last monitor to set ready status.
Are you saying they'll throw more than one not ready? If they only throw one, I don't understand what the problem is... I read someone passed because their catless only threw one code, but that was a different state, I'm wondering if I'll pass here in TeXas.

As for the dp fix route, i've heard storeis of those not working, or having to fiddle with them alot. And my motor is N54.

If anyone knows a place I can get a pass in the Dallas area, please PM me - if I pass, I'll buy ya lunch!

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Are you saying they'll throw more than one not ready? If they only throw one, I don't understand what the problem is... I read someone passed because their catless only threw one code, but that was a different state, I'm wondering if I'll pass here in TeXas.

As for the dp fix route, i've heard storeis of those not working, or having to fiddle with them alot. And my motor is N54.

If anyone knows a place I can get a pass in the Dallas area, please PM me - if I pass, I'll buy ya lunch!
The issue is timing.

As I mentioned earlier, the EVAP system typically takes the longest to set ready status. By the time the EVAP system sets ready status, fault codes for no cats will set and throw an SES light. In most states, if your SES light is on, you fail emissions inspection.

So your O2/cat monitor will set not ready/throw fault codes before the EVAP system sets readiness. The fault codes/SES light is what will cause you to fail, regardless of monitor status.

There are VERY RARE instances where you can get lucky and pass but I wouldn't bet on that. Also, some states like Connecticut will reset the monitors after checking ready status. So if you get a flash tune to set permanent ready status, you will fail because the station will know the monitor was tampered with. You shouldn't have issues with the DP fix but it takes some time to adjust the device so the DME sets readiness properly.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The issue is timing.

So your O2/cat monitor will set not ready/throw fault codes before the EVAP system sets readiness. The fault codes/SES light is what will cause you to fail, regardless of monitor status.
My car is cobb stage 2+ and it resets SES/CEL light so that it never shows...

Has anyone from TeXas tried to get passed without a dp fix?

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Every time faults are cleared, the monitors reset.

I thought COBB tunes turn the cat monitor off, not auto clear the faults like the JB4 does.

You can get a cheap $20 Autel generic scanner and check readiness monitors

·
Registered
2017 M2 and 2017 Mustang
2,577 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the Cobb tune sees the fault and reads it, but just doesn't display it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I was asking more about "how many not ready states are thrown by catless downpipes"... and also interested if anyon in Dallas area has gotten it passed without putting on a dp fix

1 - 8 of 8 Posts