BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Realtor/Mortgage Broker
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother leased her X5 in December. The truck had 230 miles. I asked the finance manager if it was a demo and he said, "No, probably just a dealer trade." I realy did not care at the moment and he went on sign here and there. So today I took it in for a problem at a dealer near my office and when the VIN was pulled I noticed the warrenty was extended to 55,000 miles (DEMO). I questioned the service guy and he said to bring it up with the dealer where it was purchased. Can or should she do anything because she was lied to. She might want to get the 4.4 or a Range Rover.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Before you kill the dealer...

Any time a dealer "punches" a vehicle in the BMW database, it become a dealer demo. For example- X5 4.4's are a hot commodity, so if your dealer has 2, they might punch them as sold units to get them off the DCS locator (so other dealers don't know that truck is out on the lot) When the DCS report is run, the owner will be listed as the dealership. Therefore, it is eligible for the demo-extension warranty. This does not mean the vehicle was used as a demonstrator. This just means that before the vehicle was sold to you, the dealer tagged it as a sold vehicle to pull it from the BMWNA inventory database.

·
Realtor/Mortgage Broker
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point, but this is a very large dealer and I don't see the 3.0 being in demand. They are too busy selling Ms with a 10k mark-up and all the 4.6is that they can scrounge-up.

Also the window sticker has the dealer as the sold to and ship to address.

What about the extra miles? My previous BMWs all had 2-6 miles on them at delivery. Her's had over 200. Guess this is what happens when you buy from dealer stock.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Its almost inevitable that if you buy from stock, the car will have some mileage on it. My dealer has several cars on the lot with 100-300 miles on them. My car had 150 miles on it when I got it, but it was swapped from another dealer in Massachusetts.

Just because it isn't a "hot" model doesn't discredit what I had to say. If your dealer has a very desirable vehicle or wants to hide a vehicle from inventory, it is a great way to do so. Also, I forgot to mention something else. Lets say the dealer is on pace to beat their sales records and only needs a few more cars to beat the record high. By marking those vehicles as sold, they count. My dealer does this every once in a while when they want to come up with a few extra sales to pass the Lexus franchise.

·
Registered
528 Posts
man, i say just go and punch him in the nose. J/K.
Honestly, i hate dealers. I really don't know what options you have. You really can't enforce something unless it was written in court of law. It sucks that these salespeople are so unethical and will do anything to sell a car and lie etc. I was at a bmw dealer and this dealer was saying all this garbage about how he had a m3 and in this particular color that was not even available. Finally, with much work from me and my friend the guy was left with a choice to resign. Dumb mother****eR.

Honestly, i don't mind buying cars from the internet. Much easier and they can't lie to you. They assign internet sales manager at particular dealer and all things are recorded via email. keep them for enforcing bs like this. I thought demo(s) had to be at least like 750 miles or so. I don't get this matter....

LIL Raja

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,583 Posts
Re: Before you kill the dealer...

DrBimmer said:
Any time a dealer "punches" a vehicle in the BMW database, it become a dealer demo. For example- X5 4.4's are a hot commodity, so if your dealer has 2, they might punch them as sold units to get them off the DCS locator (so other dealers don't know that truck is out on the lot) When the DCS report is run, the owner will be listed as the dealership. Therefore, it is eligible for the demo-extension warranty. This does not mean the vehicle was used as a demonstrator. This just means that before the vehicle was sold to you, the dealer tagged it as a sold vehicle to pull it from the BMWNA inventory database.
You sure know your poop Doc...

For someone who does not actaully work behind the scenes, you scare me!

:D

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,583 Posts
Jason B said:
My mother leased her X5 in December. The truck had 230 miles. I asked the finance manager if it was a demo and he said, "No, probably just a dealer trade." I realy did not care at the moment and he went on sign here and there. So today I took it in for a problem at a dealer near my office and when the VIN was pulled I noticed the warrenty was extended to 55,000 miles (DEMO). I questioned the service guy and he said to bring it up with the dealer where it was purchased. Can or should she do anything because she was lied to. She might want to get the 4.4 or a Range Rover.
Jason,

The wise DrBimmer makes some very good points.

In my opinion, 230 miles on the clock is nothing to worry about - especially considering that for such minimal usage, your mother was rewarded with an additional 3 months and 5,000 miles worth of factory warrantyy coverage... What probably happened? The car didn't sell right away, went on a few test drives (perfectly normal and reasonable), and was reported as a demo as per the good doctor's situation diagnosis.

Bottom line - don't worry, BE HAPPY!

:)

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Jason B said:
...Also the window sticker has the dealer as the sold to and ship to address...
If you go there now, you'll see that all cars sitting on the lot have the dealer as the sold/ship to on the window sticker. At least that was the case with all cars I bought new...

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Re: Re: Before you kill the dealer...

Jon Shafer said:

You sure know your poop Doc...

For someone who does not actaully work behind the scenes, you scare me!

:D
Jon makes a good point . . . how does a Doctor know so much about this . . .

Doc . . . . did you sell cars during Med school ?

You have such a knowledge of BMW's how did you get to know so much information ? ?

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Jason, my advice to you is don't worry about it . . . first of all, does your mother really care ??

I learned a long time ago that what was important to me was not so important to someone else.

Both my mother and father have purchased cars with over 60 miles on them and I am guessing they were from test drives (coincendentally they were also both Audi's) Anyway, I know I would never buy a car with more than 15 miles and I would never buy a car that's been test driven however both my parents couldn't care less . . .

This stuff used to bother me but then I learned that if it doesn't bother them, why should it bother me . . .

So to reiterate, if your mother doesn't care and it's her car, why should you ? ?

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Before you kill the dealer...

Alan F said:

Jon makes a good point . . . how does a Doctor know so much about this . . .

Doc . . . . did you sell cars during Med school ?

You have such a knowledge of BMW's how did you get to know so much information ? ?
I don't think the Doc is a MD:dunno: I think he's actually a car doc;) i.e., BMW tech:dunno: :)

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
DrBimmer said:
ALOT of you would be surprised to find out the true story behind "DrBimmer". No, I am not a BMW tech. Neither am I a Medical Doctor, nor do I hold a Ph.D.

Let's just say I know my stuff :)
Let us in on the facts . . . I think we are all pretty much an upfront group and it's time to spill the beans . . .

Come on . . . tell us :) :)

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
DrBimmer said:
ALOT of you would be surprised to find out the true story behind "DrBimmer". No, I am not a BMW tech. Neither am I a Medical Doctor, nor do I hold a Ph.D.

Let's just say I know my stuff :)
I know you are a retired vet (animal dr) who sells BMWs to help supplement your IRAs and investments;) :D

·
Registered
738 Posts
The "DrBimmer" you all know and love here has been a split personality over the past few months. It has consisted of a father and son duo. It all began when I left the computer logged on to bimmer.org and my son (now 18) jumped in and started taking over. We never created two different user names. I guess it is hard to tell which "DrBimmer" you are talking to some times!

As my good friend Jon knows, I do not work in the BMW industry. However, the other half (herein "DrBimmer, Jr.") works in the local BMW dealer. Some of you know or have dealt with him regarding service issues through email or private messages. This explains "my" knowledge of much of this info (alot of these posts that discuss service bulletins, recall campaigns, or other direct BMW issues or policies are posted by him)

That is part of the reason for the new sig pic with the two cars- both our toys. I technically own both cars, and I do drive the E30 quite a bit, but I bought it for him to use.

I kind of think its a little humorous now that I think of it.

DrBimmer the Elder.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Aha the old 2 for 1 deal:p

Hey double knowledge, double the experiences :thumbup:

·
Registered
738 Posts
I know I've had a number of experiences, and I can only imagine what he has done in that car (we don't have to tell his mother ;) )

I think we both have alot to offer. Its funny how we both manage to teach eachother stuff about these cars.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Thanks for the explanation . . . it is a pretty interesting story . . . what I find surprising is an 18 yr old is not only working at a BMW dealer but that at such a young age he has so much knowledge.

Where does the 'doctor' part come into play :dunno: ? ?

Even before your son was posting you've been using that title.

Have you guys ever considered making up another name like 'not-a-drbimmer' ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Alan F said:
Thanks for the explanation . . . it is a pretty interesting story . . . what I find surprising is an 18 yr old is not only working at a BMW dealer but that at such a young age he has so much knowledge.

Where does the 'doctor' part come into play :dunno: ? ?

Even before your son was posting you've been using that title.

Have you guys ever considered making up another name like 'not-a-drbimmer' ;) ;) ;)
He is a smart kid. At 3 years old, he would stand in my in-laws front yard and name the year, make and model of every car that drove by (he was right about 99% of the time) He just knows so much about these cars. When I got my 99, the general manager at the dealer was so impressed with his knowledge, he told him to go back and apply for a job in a few years. He has been working there since last April.

As for the title, I don't know where I got it, but I picked it up at some point over at the '.org at least 3 years ago. I'll have to dig up the archives to see when I started using it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.