BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone order one of these? The installation instructions from circle do not clarify whether or not you must cut a hole in the panel that the e46 sunroof comes with. Does the kit come with a replacement panel with the cutouts in it?

thanks,

·
Revelation 10:7
1,012 Posts
I bought and installed one on my 2002 325i with Moonroof.

Install is very easy. It takes about 20 minutes.

Most of that time is spent cutting the hole in the panel. Here is a better DIY than the one you read.

UGDO DIY

I personally love mine and it is very easy to install.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I also bought and installed one myself. It really looks great, and the install was pretty easy. I used those same DIY instructions. What you get with the opener does little at best to help you. The only thing I dislike about the opener is the range is really poor on mine. I have to practically be turning into my driveway before the garage door begins to open, and my driveway is only a couple of feet longer than my car.

·
2,457 Posts
GSR13 said:
I bought and installed one on my 2002 325i with Moonroof.

Install is very easy. It takes about 20 minutes.

Most of that time is spent cutting the hole in the panel. Here is a better DIY than the one you read.

UGDO DIY

I personally love mine and it is very easy to install.
I'll vouch for this as well. One quick trip to Radio Shack to get a decent looking button (they have quite a few to choose from), a couple of solder points, and I was off. Total cost $2.49. It looks very stealthy, and fits right in.

·
2,457 Posts
johnlew said:
Here it is in pics. $2

5 series installation
Yup, the 3er install looks exactly like that too. The only noticable difference is the interior light cluster looks different. Other than that it's identical to the 5er. You'd still have to pop out the light cluster then the panel, just like in your photos.

I managed to get a matte finish button that looks just like yours. Makes it blend in a tad better, but yours looks great too. Certainly can't beat the price!:D

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The advantage of the BMW door opener is that it is lit at night and draws power from the car. I've got a similar in dash button in my Passat, and while much nicer than the clunky remote, I dislike it because I have to find it in the dark, often hitting the wrong button, and the batteries die.

·
5,820 Posts
OBS3SSION said:
The advantage of the BMW door opener is that it is lit at night and draws power from the car. I've got a similar in dash button in my Passat, and while much nicer than the clunky remote, I dislike it because I have to find it in the dark, often hitting the wrong button, and the batteries die.
If you mount the remote like you see posted above, with a bit of practice, you'll find you have no trouble finding it in the dark. My wife and I both have it down pretty well now! ;)

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Bill33oi

I had the same problem as you as far as getting close to the garage door to get it to open.You might have a older model.I called Homelink and told them my problem and they sent me a new up dated unit with instructions to take it to my BMW center to have it installed.Everything was free of charge.Now it works like 60 to 70 feet away from the door.
good luck
vern

·
Registered
68 Posts
Transmitter range

I found this link helpful to address the issue of limited range.
I haven't done the installation yet, but it seems to have worked for someone.

http://www.mindspring.com/~pmbenn/universal_transmitter.htm

And talking of range, the key's range is pretty pathetic, too. I read somewhere that putting the key to your chin was helpful, and indeed it is..I have no idea why.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Guess what, guys. The UGDO I purchased from a dealer was bad. It had a permanent problem.

Just got back from the dealer where I made an exchange. The new one worked immediately when I plugged it in.

You'd think they would test these things before shipping them. Sheesh.

Don

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just installed my UDGO that I bought at the buy-it-now price of 110 on ebay. the DIY link that is on this thread was perfect. Since I hardwired my V1 last week, I am becoming a pro at removing the interior light and panel. For all of you with the $2 radio shack button, I have 3 doors that I now can control from one unit. :flipoff:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone programed a community gate remote to this thing? I got mine a few weeks ago and installed it in 15 min. I programed my garage door opener to it but I also live in a gated community. I have a RF gate opened and it does not want to program to this thing. I am assuming it is a roming code like a garage door opener. any thoughts?

·
Registered
253 Posts
jedi7001 said:
Has anyone programed a community gate remote to this thing? I got mine a few weeks ago and installed it in 15 min. I programed my garage door opener to it but I also live in a gated community. I have a RF gate opened and it does not want to program to this thing. I am assuming it is a roming code like a garage door opener. any thoughts?
I also live in a complex with a gate and am considering the UGDO if I can use if for the gate AND my garage door. I'm hesitant to replace my garage door opener unless people here can relate any experience with the UGDO and RF gates. TIA-

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used to live in a gated community and used the UGDO to open the gate. It was nice since it allowed me to give the regular gate opener to my girlfriend. It programmed just like the garage door.

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,347 Posts
eyeguy said:
I also live in a complex with a gate and am considering the UGDO if I can use if for the gate AND my garage door. I'm hesitant to replace my garage door opener unless people here can relate any experience with the UGDO and RF gates. TIA-
I live in a gated community. The gate opener was the first one that I programmed and it worked immediately. My roaming code garage opener gave me trouble programming it. You really need 2 people to program a rolling code garage opener, 1 to press the button at the garage opener motor and 1 to press the button in the car. Fortunately I had help but it still took us a couple of tries.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Good to know - I think maybe I'll give it a try. Maybe swap the mic and moonroof switch at the same time in anticipation of Bluetooth hopefully soon... :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
16hr Day said:
Just installed my UDGO that I bought at the buy-it-now price of 110 on ebay. the DIY link that is on this thread was perfect. Since I hardwired my V1 last week, I am becoming a pro at removing the interior light and panel. For all of you with the $2 radio shack button, I have 3 doors that I now can control from one unit. :flipoff:
The EBay version is "EuroHomelink" for European frequencies - I assume it works the same in the U.S., right? Stupid question probably but if the frequencies or range capability are different it would be good to know...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts