Bimmerfest BMW banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I would need to know what specific errors you are getting. I am using Android Studio 3.5.3 currently, and the SDK version is specified in the Gradle files. I've been able to clone a fresh project on other systems and haven't had a problem, so I'd need to know more to help figure it out. The config file should be automatically generated from the Gradle files, and should just work.
Make sure that the IDriveConnectKit and IDriveConnectKitAndroid directories aren't empty. The IDriveConnectKit builds some Etch artifacts as part of the build, and then the app should resolve the various BMW Etch classes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a 2016 i3 with option S609ANavigation System Professional (NBT), but I do NOT have BMW Apps in my idrive menu. Will your app work and basically replace the need for BMW Apps?

·
Registered
2 Posts
No sound

Hi, thanks for putting the time in and sharing your work with the community!

I got the app and spotify to work, but the only way to get sound in the car is to switch to the bluetooth input. As soon as I switch back to the spotify app, I can see the song playing, album art and everything, but the sound goes away. (I'm guessing that the car somehow switches audio source when switching to the app)

I saw before that you wrote about setting the car so that bluetooth audio is always preferred, how is this done?

I have NBT (F15 MY16)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a 2016 i3 with option S609ANavigation System Professional (NBT), but I do NOT have BMW Apps in my idrive menu. Will your app work and basically replace the need for BMW Apps?
Figured out all out...

Turns out your app is amazing!

Fyi, if anyone has similar issues: bmw connected classic wouldn't shut down properly after disconnecting and would max out my phone's memory. Since I get the actual use of the app through (regular) connected I switched to MINI classic, as suggested by Hufman. Since then no problems at all and everything runs smoothly!

App question/request:

When I get notifications from WhatsApp, I can go to actions and see Reply to greyed out option. It's there any way for you to add the possibility to actually reply, ideally through voice message to avoid typing while driving (long press the mic button in WhatsApp)?
...just a thought

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any chance this can be made to work on 2014 550I? I find my car has connected drive that works woth iphone, but not Android.

·
Registered
3 Posts
At first thank you hufman for this awesome work! So since BMW tricked me back in the time when they sold me Apps option and told me this is going to work with all the music apps and android blabla (then they just dropped support month after), this app sounds like a dream coming true.

Here are some of my experiences:

-2014 650i with NBT
-Samsung Galaxy S10 with
BMW Connected (new Version) -> App is actually working and I get the options Calendar... Audioplayer shown in ConnectedDrive Menu

BMW Connected Classic -> Is not working anymore with my S10, app is crashing/looping while starting

Mini Connected Classic -> App is working on my phone, but I do net get an option while connecting my phone to the car to use this app?!

So after a lot of playing around with all these apps I used the latest BMW Connected app to connect to the car, then AndroidAutoIdrive app showed that it is connected to the car and Audioplayer was added to the ConnectedDrive menu. So i pushed on that and got a list of apps installed on my phone so i choose Spotify, (I installed a version previous 8.4.96.953). Ok so i was able to see my playlists and stuff, but it is not possible to browse the songs inside the playlist?

Whatever so I pushed on a playlist and it started playing the first song. Then after around 2 minutes the car dropped the ConnectedDrive connection to the phone
(menus and apps are gone). Music is still playing via bluetooth. Is that a known issue?

Oh and another question, I built a version with google maps and also have the option inside the AndroidAutoIdrive app, but inside ConnectedDrive menu there was no maps option?

greets
jeezz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Simple question. I've downloaded apk package with many files. Can you guide me on which file to install, and how to do it correctly. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Installed app, followed all instructions (scattered across faq, readme, forum...wish it could be consolidated), and VOILA, it works great for Spotify v8, Pandora, etc. once the apps are already open on phone. Using this app, Bmw connected, Mini connected classic, older version of Spotify app. Still some issues with Youtube, google play music, other apps in browsing content, but they all play. I'm still figuring out. Hufman, thanks so much for this great app.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So with Android Oreo or higher, I can't use the car to skip tracks because I need to leave "request audio focus" off? Trying to get it to work on my galaxy s10+

I have a galaxy S4 with Android 4 on it, but your apk gives me the error "There Was A Problem Parsing the Package"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I sincerely apologize, I didn't receive any notifications!

I3test: I'm glad you got it figured out! As you found out, it works with the BMW Apps protocol and adds new apps, as opposed to replacing the official apps. I've seen that running the connection through the Classic apps is unreliable, I believe due to Android memory management, so I only use the Classic app for auth now.
Notification Replies is on the roadmap for version 1.3!
What sort of Alexa app would you like? I started some work to enable voice assistants, and I've tested it on Google Assistant, does Alexa function similarly?

hellstone: It sounds like Audio Context is enabled, but your car is old enough that your phone is connected over USB. In this situation, you should disable Audio Context (which is why the car switches input to listen to the USB cable) and just use Bluetooth input, optionally setting one of the dashboard shortcut buttons to the Audioplayer app.

chansuresh: As far as I know, cars of that iPhone-only generation don't have any Android support at all, but I'm glad you got it working!
I want to make it easier to set up! Please let me know what information would be most beneficial to add.

jeezz: This sounds like the app connection to the car is going through BMW Connected Classic and then Android kills the BMW app and breaks the connection. I recommend running BMW Connected (new) for the car connection, along with Mini Connected Classic, which won't connect to the car and is installed only to provide auth for my app and doesn't need to be running at all.
For the Spotify Playlists, Spotify immediately starts playing the Playlist when you select it. After it is selected, there should be a Now Playing icon along the left toolbar to let you jump to a specific song in the playlist. There's a strange bug where the Now Playing and the Actions buttons don't light up until you open the Browse list again, but I've figured out a fix for that in the next version.
Due to the custom app restrictions (I can only use assets from existing BMW apps), the Map icon adds itself as the old Samsung Smartthings icon, an orange and green circle, with no label. In there you should find the map, though I'm planning a lot of improvements for it in version 1.4.

ejlover: Yes this works on the NBTEvo Idrive6 version.

MegaGoo: I haven't tested it as far back as Android 4, the music api I'm using was released with Android 5. You are correct, your phone with Android Oreo will need to have Audio Focus disabled if you are plugged in through USB. However, this only prevents scrolling through the queue with the steering wheel controls, the steering wheel will behave just like it does with the regular Bluetooth connection and just skip to the previous and next track immediately.

Thank you all for the great feedback and wonderful support!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi hufman,

Firstly it's great that someone is developing stuff in this way and helping the BMW community, so well done and thanks.

As far as I can understand this app allows you to add other music apps into your iDrive menu, including YouTube? If so that sounds brilliant.

Questions/requests:

1 Are you able to create a version for iOS? If not, I can use an Android phone but once the apps are installed on the iDrive, can I then switch back to my iPhone and remove the Android phone (and the installed apps still work from iDrive?)?

2 Can you get this working for iDrive 7 please?

3 As a suggestion to item 1 could the Carplay functionality be added, effectively to be able to make ANY apps available in Carplay? Don't know if this is possible just thinking aloud about possibilities.

4 What I really want to be able to do is watch YouTube vids in the car, with sound whatever way it can be done, either through iDrive or Carplay. I don't mind if this has to be while the car is parked.

5 Just checking this won't remove any existing functionality of the iDrive?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I sincerely apologize, I didn't receive any notifications!

I3test: I'm glad you got it figured out! As you found out, it works with the BMW Apps protocol and adds new apps, as opposed to replacing the official apps. I've seen that running the connection through the Classic apps is unreliable, I believe due to Android memory management, so I only use the Classic app for auth now.
Notification Replies is on the roadmap for version 1.3!
What sort of Alexa app would you like? I started some work to enable voice assistants, and I've tested it on Google Assistant, does Alexa function similarly?

hellstone: It sounds like Audio Context is enabled, but your car is old enough that your phone is connected over USB. In this situation, you should disable Audio Context (which is why the car switches input to listen to the USB cable) and just use Bluetooth input, optionally setting one of the dashboard shortcut buttons to the Audioplayer app.

chansuresh: As far as I know, cars of that iPhone-only generation don't have any Android support at all, but I'm glad you got it working!
I want to make it easier to set up! Please let me know what information would be most beneficial to add.

jeezz: This sounds like the app connection to the car is going through BMW Connected Classic and then Android kills the BMW app and breaks the connection. I recommend running BMW Connected (new) for the car connection, along with Mini Connected Classic, which won't connect to the car and is installed only to provide auth for my app and doesn't need to be running at all.
For the Spotify Playlists, Spotify immediately starts playing the Playlist when you select it. After it is selected, there should be a Now Playing icon along the left toolbar to let you jump to a specific song in the playlist. There's a strange bug where the Now Playing and the Actions buttons don't light up until you open the Browse list again, but I've figured out a fix for that in the next version.
Due to the custom app restrictions (I can only use assets from existing BMW apps), the Map icon adds itself as the old Samsung Smartthings icon, an orange and green circle, with no label. In there you should find the map, though I'm planning a lot of improvements for it in version 1.4.

ejlover: Yes this works on the NBTEvo Idrive6 version.

MegaGoo: I haven't tested it as far back as Android 4, the music api I'm using was released with Android 5. You are correct, your phone with Android Oreo will need to have Audio Focus disabled if you are plugged in through USB. However, this only prevents scrolling through the queue with the steering wheel controls, the steering wheel will behave just like it does with the regular Bluetooth connection and just skip to the previous and next track immediately.

Thank you all for the great feedback and wonderful support!
looking forward to v.1.4:thumbup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
@hottroc Thanks for all the questions!

Unlike the preinstalled applications in the car (Wiki Local and so on, which would be fun to figure out if possible), I am using the Connected Apps protocol, where the applications run on the phone and show up remotely in the car. This means the apps aren't installed to the car itself, which makes it easy and safe to test, but it also means the phone has to stay connected while using them. The protocol only lets me add apps within specific areas of the car, there is no risk of removing existing functionality.

IDrive 7, however, only supports the preinstalled applications method and does not support this older protocol, and so can't support this app.

The application acts as a bridge between the music apps API that Android provides and the BMW Connected Apps API to show information in the car. This music API and the notification access API are the primary reasons why this application is only developed for Android.

The Youtube functionality doesn't show any video output, just the current metadata like what would show on the phone's lock screen. I'm only using the music API to fetch that same information and control the app using media controls, so there isn't any way to get the video itself.

I don't know much about the Carplay protocol, so I can't speak to the possibility of enabling any app to run over it. Android Auto requires that the app create a special type of window to run within the car, which would be tricky to add externally.

I hope this answers all your questions!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi hufman,

Thanks for explaining. Sorry for my confusion (BMW Connected app means something completely different to me with iDrive 7 I think) but I understand more now.

It's a shame it's no longer possible with iDrive 7. Hopefully when you get access to an iDrive 7 system you might be able to figure something else out.

Good luck with your development.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Good news everyone! I released version 1.2.1, with a few minor improvements but mostly: Much improved Spotify support! By using the official Spotify API, the app can now launch and browse Spotify without needing to manually downgrade to an old version. Additionally, cover art from Spotify works much more reliably. Check it out!

I also launched a Gitter chat room for the project, I hope it might provide quicker response to questions and better interactivity, but we'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good news everyone! I released version 1.2.1, with a few minor improvements but mostly: Much improved Spotify support! By using the official Spotify API, the app can now launch and browse Spotify without needing to manually downgrade to an old version. Additionally, cover art from Spotify works much more reliably. Check it out!

I also launched a Gitter chat room for the project, I hope it might provide quicker response to questions and better interactivity, but we'll see how it goes!
Thanks for the update. I would like to test this in my car. However excuse the ignorance on my part, but when checking out your link there is like 8 different apk files.. Which one is the actual app to install on your phone?

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks for the question!
The *.sha1 files are checksums, to verify that the APK files are not corrupted and are the same files that Travis CI built.
Each *.apk file is a version of that app. The ones that say "sentry" report crashes to Sentry.io, and the others that say "nonalytics" do not.
The ones that say "debug" use a temporary debug key generated by Travis, and the ones that say "release" use a real Android release key. I think I'll remove the debug version for the new release, I don't think it's needed and just adds confusion.

I hope this answers your question! Let me know if there are any other questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the question!
The *.sha1 files are checksums, to verify that the APK files are not corrupted and are the same files that Travis CI built.
Each *.apk file is a version of that app. The ones that say "sentry" report crashes to Sentry.io, and the others that say "nonalytics" do not.
The ones that say "debug" use a temporary debug key generated by Travis, and the ones that say "release" use a real Android release key. I think I'll remove the debug version for the new release, I don't think it's needed and just adds confusion.

I hope this answers your question! Let me know if there are any other questions.
Thank you for your reply. If I understand correctly, could you confirm then the file I need to download and install to my phone is the 6.13Mb non-analytics.release.apk version? Thanks again

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 71 Posts