BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 BMW 530d
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've just replaced the tyres on my 5 series after a good run in them. I've put the same type on again, as they did fine and lasted well. The car doesn't feel the same though, the steering seems a little mushy and unresponsive around centre - almost like I have to turn the wheel more to achieve the same result. On the sheet, most of the measurements seem to be pretty close to the middle of the range. Can anyone share an educated opinion? I do note it says xdrive models at the top of the sheet, however mine is RWD. Thank you

Previous alignments have been at the dealer, they were included under the 3 year servicing plan. I don't think I was ever provided with printouts for their alignments.

Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Number

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,856 Posts
It looks like they used Xi specs for your RWD vehicle but maybe that’s just what their sheets look like…
The specs seem ok I guess. A bit lazy but nothing outlandish.

·
Registered
2018 BMW 530d
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll ask them about it next week. It feels less responsive than it has, plus the wheel isn’t quite straight which is annoying. Not hugely out.

Today I’ve checked the speed against the GPS on a long straight bit. It’s further out than it was before, which doesn’t make sense with new tyres with full tread. Is there some setting that could have been changed? (Was about 2km/h, now about 4km/h).

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 116K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
21,938 Posts
That the (steering) “wheel isn’t quite straight” tells me that the alignment is incompetent. The first step is to lock steering straight as indicated by match marks on the steering box.

Toe-in in length millimeters is incompetent.

·
Registered
2018 BMW 530d
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It turns out the tyre place had used the 4WD specs by mistake instead of the RWD ones. The main difference being the toe settings. They have happily re done the alignment today, and all is well. Thanks for your replies

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
It turns out the tyre place had used the 4WD specs by mistake instead of the RWD ones. The main difference being the toe settings. They have happily re done the alignment today, and all is well. Thanks for your replies
Never let a "tire place" do an alignment. Between the incompetence of the help and the lack of proper equipment, the dealer is the best choice. Sure it is more expensive but when you have to replace your new tires in 10k miles because it was improperly aligned you will be ahead of the game going to the dealer. For the matter, I would not let a tire place touch my wheels. Tires and alignments are all done at the dealer for me.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 116K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
21,938 Posts
Salesmen want to sell what they have. An ‘alignment shop’ with tires for sale, what could go wrong?

·
Registered
2018 BMW 530d
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never let a "tire place" do an alignment. Between the incompetence of the help and the lack of proper equipment, the dealer is the best choice. Sure it is more expensive but when you have to replace your new tires in 10k miles because it was improperly aligned you will be ahead of the game going to the dealer. For the matter, I would not let a tire place touch my wheels. Tires and alignments are all done at the dealer for me.
It wasn’t a unheard of local tyre place - it shares the name as the Audi dealership next door and the BMW one across the road, and is on their website- though is an independent business. From the resolution it appears the wrong configuration was selected from the list of cars, and I can understand how someone can accidentally click the wrong one. It happens. It was resolved with good customer service. The tyres were available cheaper online, to be installed at a tyre shop I’d never heard of, but I decided against that and went somewhere where they are familiar with these cars.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,107 Posts
I get my alignments done at a 'tire place' (aka 'tyre place')... Nothing wrong with those buildings, you need a good tech.

You can get some really crappy alignments from 'special shops'. Or dealers.

Just saying.

OP...unfortunately, your alignment sucks. Too much toe. You want it at the lower end of the BMW spec. The range they are using is very large AND they seem to just be hitting the middle (thinking this is 'best'. It isnt_) Sounds like you think it is 'all good' now that they are redoing it, with some other (likely incorrect) specs.

My signature has a long discussion on alignments, if you are interested.....

·
Registered
2018 BMW 530d
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, yes, I suppose I’m going by it feeling the same as it did on the previous dealer done alignments. The new figures are below. Maybe I’ll look at other places next time
Font Material property Pattern Parallel Number
Font Material property Pattern Parallel Number

1 - 10 of 10 Posts