BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else had an unusual reason to buy their BMW, or maybe an unusual feature of the car that pushed them in that direction. Once you have driven a BMW there are all kinds of performance/handling reasons to buy. I am interested in the less obvious reasons people may have had. As for me, I needed/wanted a four seat sporty convertable with rear side airbags. Unlike many here I was considering other options than BMW (I was not hooked yet, now I am) There are not very many of them to choose from with four seats let alone with side rear air bags. None of my friends believe I bought a red convertible for the rear air bags but that was a major factor. Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Driving a Lexus RX for 4 years!!! :cry: :yikes: lol. But seriously I really missed my old two bimmers and though my old 328i was plauged with reliability problems I had to come back to BMW. So far, my two BMW's have been bulletproof. Knock on Wood :eeps: And I love BMW's little things that the Lexus didn't have like the Orange backlighting of the guages and Central Locking switch in the middle, the grainy real feeling leather etc. I know these little things are stupid but they just make a BMW a BMW. lol

-e60lover:thumbup:

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
I needed more complication and maintenance issues in my life....thats why I bought mine.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
There's an official BMW Car Club of America and at least in MD, you can get s special BMW CCA logo on your license plate if you apply. Feels more like a sense of community..........and there are very few car brands out there with a dedicated organization.

In addition, there's very few, if any, other SUVs out there with a near 50/50 weight distribution. Almost no one else mounts the battery in the trunk/back. And almost no one bothers with an Inline-6 engine anymore. And the list goes on.....

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
chuck92103 said:
plus chicks dig it.
Not when you buy a station wagon and a :gay: convertible. :eeps:

·
Registered
80 Posts
It was a convoluted path to my Z4 3.0si roadster, but here goes.
I was tired of driving a pickup truck(what we needed), and wanted something fun to drive.
My wife banned me from motorcycles years ago(I agreed with this decision, after two people turned left in front of me in 1 week)
I was enamored with the e46 330 sedan, but attempted to be practical and bought an X3.
The X3 is an amazing performing SUV, but wasn't what I wanted.
Along the way my wife realized the BMW difference in handling and ended up with a e46 325 Coupe.
Within a year of buying the X3, I tried to trade it on an M3, but would have taken a 17k loss.
We (wife, son, and I) took the Performance Center driving school. On the second day of the school I drove the M3 and Z4 back to back, and decided I had to have a Z4.
I decided to wait until the X3 was two years old to spread out the depreciation some.
I fell in love with the appearance of the Z4 coupe concept pictures, and went to my dealer in March for more information. The boss(wife) requested I try leasing since I couldn't seem to settle on a vehicle for a long time.
The dealer had 1 new M roadster, and 2 new Z4 roaders on lot, so I got to drool over them all. I refuse to pay a gas guzzler tax, so eliminated the M roadster from the short list.
My salesman only had info on the new Z4 roadsters, and explained how leases work to me.
I went home, looked at brochures,bimmerfest, and bmwusa.com, discussed the idea of a convertible with the wife, and decided to lease the roadster as a long term test drive.
I called my salesman, arranged the deal over the phone, and it was built and delivered in just over two weeks.(Salesman had never seen one built & delivered that quick before, and said not to count on it again.)
So I now I have roadster I really like, the wife likes the convertible aspect, and I have two years to decide to buy or not.
I later told my salesman I would probably buy it at the end of the lease. He said to not make the decision until the end of the lease, and then only if it is worth more than the buyout.
P.S. The roadster gives me the open air feel of the motorcycle, but is a lot more comfortable. So the short answer is: I got a BMW roadster to replace a motorcycle!

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
My story is standard - loved the looks and loved carpooling with a friend in his E36 328i.

The story behind my friend getting his 328i is unusual. My friend is a gearhead and likes working on cars. He had a first year Honda Accord V-6. I think it was only one year with the V-6 in that body style before Honda went to the next generation of Accord. So, he was driving down the highway, going to the hospital for himself (high blood sugar = just turned diabetic), when the transmission die on the Accord. The Accord limped to the hospital, and after my friend was out of the hospital, started looking at fixing the Accord's tranny. Well, he was getting quotes of $3200 for the transaxle alone from a junkyard, and over $6k from the dealer. He cursed FWD and swore he'd never get another car he couldn't work on. He had the E36 the next week. While the E36 is still his pride and joy, he's since been through an E24 ($187 car rebuilt and sold), an E28 (current work car), two E30's (current one is a cabrio with drivetrain from first one), and an E34 (wife's car after end of lease on her civic). He also converted his brother, who now has three E30's. He jokes that the BMW's are much cheaper to maintain than his Accord ever was.

·
Retired Slacker
6,711 Posts
I like having the weather frequencies on the E36 FM radio. :)

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
So that I can specify BMW Individual to build a Gin & Tonic dispenser in my vehicle, right where my arm rest is in the middle, easily accessible by front and rear passengers.

Oh, and to be able to over look unwashed plebians as I drive past them (only a 6er driver will get this).

Unusual enough?

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
LA525iT said:
Not when you buy a station wagon and a :gay: convertible. :eeps:
:flipoff:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Safety. One of the safest brands in the world right now

But really...there's just one reason I bought mine :drive:

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
My daughter wanted me to buy one so she could drive in it with me with the top open. She's in the back seat since she's only 9.

I've got other evhicles, but this one now get most of my attention.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Because I love the way it looks and I'm a badge whore. Oh yeah, and because it's safe and fun to drive

·
I love my BMW.
757 Posts
Hmm....the second I pressed the gas pedal for the first time I knew it was meant to be. I had never driven a car that felt as solid. I guess I could have been mislead since I had just test driven a Jetta right before I drove the BMW. Wait, no, it was def meant to be.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Mine was a story of multiple factors pointing directly at the car for me to get. I was originally in the market for a sports coupe and was leaning heavily towards a M3....then the wife became pregnant. I reigned myself in and decided that a 4-door sedan would be the more appropriate choice for a few years while the little guy would be in a carseat. The e46 run was coming to an end and I loved the platform. A $3800 marketing incentive emerged at the end of 2005 that sealed the deal and I got, what I consider to be, the best 3-series sports sedan ever made by BMW due to the Performance Package. In the early 2000's people were paying closer to MSRP for BMWs. I ended up with the perfect car for me and got it for almost $2,200 below invoice price....it was a no brainer! Oh, and I told BMWFS that I had a loan lined up from my bank at 3.9% so they offered me 3.7% which I jumped on. My MM fund is paying more than that rate right now.

·
MediK9
64 Posts
WHy a BMW?

When I began my search for a new car, SAFETY was the key issue for me,besides needing all wheel drive. I narrowed my search down and BMW won.
Bought the car in 2003. Except for the ignition coil recall, the car had no issues. UNTIL July 3rd, when a dude in a red Jeep Cherokee slowly drifted in front of me, across my travel lane. Hit him front on. Both airbags deployed. My car saved 3 lives that day. Did my choice pay off? You bet it did.

( Yes, my car is being fixed and I should have it within a week. And yes, I miss it terribly)

·
Registered
650 Posts
bill92 said:
It was a convoluted path to my Z4 3.0si roadster, but here goes.
I was tired of driving a pickup truck(what we needed), and wanted something fun to drive.
My wife banned me from motorcycles years ago(I agreed with this decision, after two people turned left in front of me in 1 week)
I was enamored with the e46 330 sedan, but attempted to be practical and bought an X3.
The X3 is an amazing performing SUV, but wasn't what I wanted.
Along the way my wife realized the BMW difference in handling and ended up with a e46 325 Coupe.
Within a year of buying the X3, I tried to trade it on an M3, but would have taken a 17k loss.
We (wife, son, and I) took the Performance Center driving school. On the second day of the school I drove the M3 and Z4 back to back, and decided I had to have a Z4.
I decided to wait until the X3 was two years old to spread out the depreciation some.
I fell in love with the appearance of the Z4 coupe concept pictures, and went to my dealer in March for more information. The boss(wife) requested I try leasing since I couldn't seem to settle on a vehicle for a long time.
The dealer had 1 new M roadster, and 2 new Z4 roaders on lot, so I got to drool over them all. I refuse to pay a gas guzzler tax, so eliminated the M roadster from the short list.
My salesman only had info on the new Z4 roadsters, and explained how leases work to me.
I went home, looked at brochures,bimmerfest, and bmwusa.com, discussed the idea of a convertible with the wife, and decided to lease the roadster as a long term test drive.
I called my salesman, arranged the deal over the phone, and it was built and delivered in just over two weeks.(Salesman had never seen one built & delivered that quick before, and said not to count on it again.)
So I now I have roadster I really like, the wife likes the convertible aspect, and I have two years to decide to buy or not.
I later told my salesman I would probably buy it at the end of the lease. He said to not make the decision until the end of the lease, and then only if it is worth more than the buyout.
P.S. The roadster gives me the open air feel of the motorcycle, but is a lot more comfortable. So the short answer is: I got a BMW roadster to replace a motorcycle!
Same here. I've had 2 trucks, but have always been a fan of european cars. I've graduated college and have some excess money that is at my disposal. I'm single, have no other expenses other than rent and utilities that will begin in January so no rings or other b.s. relationship stuff to worry about. My dad is actually the one that convinced me to get what I really want. He's a former owner of a Triumph TR6. I've never seen my dad so excited about something before. Since I can't yet afford to buy him the cars he's dreamed about, he's going to have a blast anytime I throw him the keys.

I just hope that the comfot access doesn't throw him off. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts