BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took the car in this morning first thing after I hit the jackpot with dash warning lights. If someone can top this assortment they can claim top honors. I had Service Engine Soon, EML, DSC, BRAKE, & ABS all at once. The throttle response was a bit odd with some slight hesitation also and the engine power was cut back due to the EML having kicked on. Other than that, fully driveable. They took me right in at my service center and ran diagnostics. It is apparently a throttle problem and they now have a part on order which comes in a week. Thanks to "bol" who responded with a similar issue and apparently guessed right about the throttle body control unit being the culprit. I mentioned that to my service rep and it freaked him out that I would know that. The power of the internet at work.

Anyway, the lights are now off again, (?) and I will be traveling via the airlines for the next week and a half and using the car minimally so no big deal until the part arrives and I get it replaced.:)

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
It's the TOPAZ CURSE.

Bol has a Topaz 330Ci I think.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The HACK said:
It's the TOPAZ CURSE.

Bol has a Topaz 330Ci I think.
You had to go and mention it. :tsk:

I was hoping I might stay immune by avoiding all topaz curse threads, thus not jinxing myself. Now I'll have to watch every move I make.:cry:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in_d_haus said:

Don't say that HACK, I'm getting a Topaz M... don't wanna hear the "curse" stuff...
Now you've gone and done it too. The bugs will crawl all over it.:lmao:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
How many miles?

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Topaz curse strikes again! Damn it. :thumbdwn:

I think in bol's case it would have been cheaper to go with the individual program and order carbon black or arizona sun metallic. =P

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
The Topaz Curse is a myth... believe me... heh

Looks like the issue with faulty throttle control valves is coming back up again. There was a TSB on this back when the original DBW throttles came out and there had been a bad manufacturing run(Back in 1999/2000) and effected mostly 328s, which is why I found it odd that my 2001 330Ci was effected.

This is the second post in two days in which a 2001/2002 330 has been affected - and this is only on one BMW message board. Imagine globally if this is a valid trend.

:eeps:

Now I have everyone with a 2002 330 on order scared! :p

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
in_d_haus said:

Don't say that HACK, I'm getting a Topaz M... don't wanna hear the "curse" stuff...
The sooner you acknowledge the curse, the easier the curse is on you. :)

·
Registered
954 Posts
What is this Topaz curse?? I am starting to get worried about what I got myself into :eek:

·
super-sexy
247 Posts
Topaz330xi said:
Well I took the car in this morning first thing after I hit the jackpot with dash warning lights. If someone can top this assortment they can claim top honors. I had Service Engine Soon, EML, DSC, BRAKE, & ABS all at once. The throttle response was a bit odd with some slight hesitation also and the engine power was cut back due to the EML having kicked on. Other than that, fully driveable...
YIKES!!

This is EXACTLY what happened to me the other night. I was driving back from NYC, and I got the Service Engine Soon, EML, DSC, BRAKE, & ABS lights. Throttle response was very laggy, it felt weird, but everything seemed fine. I might also have noticed (or imagined) less power to the brakes, but they still worked fine.

I pulled over, cycled the car's power, and all was fine.. for a few minutes, then it happened again. After the 3rd time of this, I gave up trying to stop it and just drove home. The next morning, the lights didn't all come on, but the Service Engine Soon light was lit up all day.

I called Herb Chambers BMW and I have an appointment tomorrow morning. I will mention the throttle body control unit to them, hopefully that will take care of it.

My car is at about 8500 miles (Nov. 01 production) and Steel Blue to at that (maybe it's just a BLUE curse)

BMWNA - you taking note of this?

- Cowboy

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
I just spoke with my dealer about the problems I'm having and he said the the throttle body control was a problem with the 2001's and not the 2002's but they were going to check it out anyway. He didn't have any problems with the car when he drove it back to the dealership. It figures when BMW gets in the car everything is perfect. Thank God the error codes are logged. They'll let me know by 5 today what is up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2002 330 and notice a delayed reponse in the acceleration when I step on the throttle at dead stop. Is this the throttle body issue????? If so, what is the tsb number that I can refer the technician to consider?????

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
325kid said:
I have a 2002 330 and notice a delayed reponse in the acceleration when I step on the throttle at dead stop. Is this the throttle body issue????? If so, what is the tsb number that I can refer the technician to consider?????
No that's totally unrelated; that's a throttle lag issue related to the DBW system.

·
paddle shifter
931 Posts
Maybe the topaz curse is the reason they are discontinuing topaz blue.:dunno:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts