BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, bought this on Sunday, installed it in a few minutes. Even able to hide 99% of the antenna wire with no installation experience. Seriously, easy. Of course it has a lighter mount that does not use the iDrive system. Like I said, cheap fix. But, for whatever reason, it DOES use an FM modulator and it works very very very well! No sh!t.

I live in Chicago, tons of radio stations, so hard to find an empty spot. The XM website gives you good stations to tune to and the first suggestion worked great, until I got right into the city, downtown specifically. I have to check the website for a suggestion for that zip code. There's even an FM button on the XM unit that gives you an alternative to the station you have programmed into the unit. Why is that good? It means that instead of punching in another station on the XM unit, you hit the FM button and it goes right to that alternate station on the XM unit, and all you have to do is have the same station programmed into the car. EASY. Makes it easy to switch stations when you know you're hitting another area.

NOW THE COOL PART!!!!!!! : It does NOT say anything at all about iPod connectivity in the XM Skydock instructions, why would it. Well, I'm fiddling around with the XM unit and decide to hit the ipod icon on the iphone, lo and behold, I get my ipod music streaming through my speakers, and great clarity as well. Some how the iPhone now being connected to the XM Skydock can use it's FM modulator as well.

Of course, no iDrive controls can be used, but because of the setup of the dock, it holds the iphone either veritical or horizontal and it's extremely convenient to your right hand. AND the volume controls do NOT work on the iphone when it's connected, so there's no chance of blowing out your system like others have mentioned. It's also great to check email, texts etc as you don't have to pick up your phone. And it charges your phone at the same time. Can't say enough good about this. Making me think the Dension I just ordered was a waste of money.

Anyone want my iphone cradle? :)

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is it. I'm telling you, it's pretty awesome. I know most of us want the OEM look and this does NOT give it, but it works and is pretty damn handy. I just dremeled out my iphone case so that i don't have to take the phone out when i install it. some cases probably fit, mine was a bit think and wouldn't hold the connection when I nudged the cradle. Without the case it was rock solid. It even works in my garage!

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plugged it in to the ashtray (my audi had an outlet under the glove box, pretty cool) and ran the antenna into the split in the vinyl trim piece all the way to the back of the glove box (tucking it in as I went), around the other side of the foot well to the passenger side door. With the door open, I ran the wire along side the door frame up to the hood area. I taped the antenna down in the door frame. Yes you could see it with the door open but who would notice? I think there was one part where you could seen the antenna when you had to cross over from the door frame over the window frame. At the bottom of the window frame where it meets the hood, I started tucking the antenna into the rubber seal along the window all the way up to the roof. And I just plonked the antenna magnet right where the cable came out of the seal. It didn't look awful at all. And it worked great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts