BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi... just got a new to me 2007 335i convertible which has an interesting (yes different!) locking issue with the glove box. Let me begin by saying I have done quite a bit of leg work (which I will detail below) and yes I know how to use the search function..

What I know so far:

Based on the popular and helpful post ( https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660733#/topics/660733?page=1 )about the bad latch mechanism (or more specifically I have learned BMW calls it "Catch Upper Part") I have dismantled the glove box and was able to bench test the electric latch which has no issues and functions correctly. *sad*

I have also further tested and confirmed that both the latch micro switch as well as the lock micro switch are also functioning correctly. There is simply no power to the motor. No power to this harness.

From what I can observe the latch wiring harness disappears somewhere behind the glove box housing.

I have a Bentley manual and have further followed the wiring diagrams and determined that fuses 56 and 57 are good.

The Bentley diagrams show that there are relays associated with the central locking system located (I assume) behind the main junction box but the manual lacks clarity for convertible models. Cant tell if there is a relay for the glove box as it isnt listed though assume there has to be one.

My next best guess in trouble shooting is that the harness associated with the latch is simply disconnected.

The Bentley manual also lacks clarity on dismantling the bodywork and airbag for the convertible.

My question (other than a hail Mary anyone dealt with this before) is does anyone know where that harness plugs in and what is required to access it? Or where the relay is located for the glove box latch.

Any other guesses? I ordered a Foxwell 510 and will be here Friday but it is unclear if that tool will allow me to scan Central locking system components?

Thanks! Any help helps!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
In the links provided earlier - this link tells us what we already know... how to get to the servo ("Upper Catch")

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...-central-locking-unit-release-drives/EslapVIE

This link provides the same circuit and location information as the Bentley manual

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...tions/central-locking-system/outlputs/ln7v2yx

The Bentley manual has a detailed section on how to physically remove the glove box, but after removal (for convertible) it only states that you should disconnect the wires, but doesn't show where that disconnect occurs.

I also considered that there may be a hall sensor associated with the glove box but can't find any reference to it. Additionally, the little glove box light is just a dumb 12 volt light with a simple plunger switch, though it may be possible this circuit is monitored elsewhere for being open or closed. All I've got for now.

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
2,957 Posts
Black Valkyrie;12901337i said:
...2007 335i convertible which has an interesting (yes different!) locking issue with the glove box...[you don't say exactly what the fault is, or whether it was in locked or unlocked position, but I assume the lock is NOT getting reversible polarity pulse to either lock or unlock?]...I have dismantled the glove box and was able to bench test the electric latch which has no issues and functions correctly...I have also further tested and confirmed that both the latch micro switch as well as the lock micro switch are also functioning correctly. There is simply no power to the motor. No power to this harness...determined that fuses 56 and 57 are good...
Welcome to the Forum! I attach a pdf with links to E9x References, most helpful of which are TIS Online Service Manual, and Bentley in searchable pdf format. BEFORE you wade through that, however let's try to follow the circuit in question, and I would suggest looking for a bad connection between the JBE and the "glovebox" by disconnecting & examining/cleaning each connector, and testing wire continuity to next connector. You can also check for voltage at the JBE output pins.

Before you/we can use the TIS circuit diagram properly however, we must get agreement on WHICH "Central Locking Drive" we are concerned with. The Schematic (see link below) shows a M89 "Glove Compartment" drive (NOT USA), and also a M92 "Oddments Compartment" (center console cover) lock. The "trigger" for each should be the same, namely a reversible polarity pulse, one polarity to lock, and opposite polarity to unlock, and that signal is provided by the JBE via Connector X14270. Pins #43 & #47 of X14270 if we are talking about the center console cover.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...tions/central-locking-system/outlputs/ln7v2yx

TIS Online Service Manual has the same circuit diagrams as are found in Bentley, but they are "Interactive" which means you can click on a BLUE Component ID# and get details about that component, such as the "Installation Location" for a Connector. To get started using TIS for YOUR specific vehicle, go to this site and enter the last 7 of your VIN, then Bookmark the resulting URL:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

If you would clarify which component (M92 or M89) is at issue, we can suggest more specific test methods and connector locations. First make sure that ALL other locking drives are working, as that should allow us to rule out a failure of one of the two relays located in the JBE (A4010a), as well as a Power Supply to JBE issue with one of the fuses.

George

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vehicle is an E93 convertible and yes did reference the correct diagrams based on convertible/ build.date etc. Thanks for the additional info. Agreed seems like an air gap between box harness and JBE. As aforementioned documents are unclear as to where the connections to the JBE occur.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Welcome to the Forum! I attach a pdf with links to E9x References, most helpful of which are TIS Online Service Manual, and Bentley in searchable pdf format. BEFORE you wade through that, however let's try to follow the circuit in question, and I would suggest looking for a bad connection between the JBE and the "glovebox" by disconnecting & examining/cleaning each connector, and testing wire continuity to next connector. You can also check for voltage at the JBE output pins.

Before you/we can use the TIS circuit diagram properly however, we must get agreement on WHICH "Central Locking Drive" we are concerned with. The Schematic (see link below) shows a M89 "Glove Compartment" drive (NOT USA), and also a M92 "Oddments Compartment" (center console cover) lock. The "trigger" for each should be the same, namely a reversible polarity pulse, one polarity to lock, and opposite polarity to unlock, and that signal is provided by the JBE via Connector X14270. Pins #43 & #47 of X14270 if we are talking about the center console cover.

TIS Online Service Manual has the same circuit diagrams as are found in Bentley, but they are "Interactive" which means you can click on a BLUE Component ID# and get details about that component, such as the "Installation Location" for a Connector. To get started using TIS for YOUR specific vehicle, go to this site and enter the last 7 of your VIN, then Bookmark the resulting URL:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

If you would clarify which component (M92 or M89) is at issue, we can suggest more specific test methods and connector locations. First make sure that ALL other locking drives are working, as that should allow us to rule out a failure of one of the two relays located in the JBE (A4010a), as well as a Power Supply to JBE issue with one of the fuses.

George

Wow. What an amazing resource! Thank you for the link... so this is what I have determined using the TIS

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Next slice of time I have I will now move forward removing entire glove box and testing those connectors. Literally (dont want to jinx myself) everything works on the car except the glovebox. My instincts tell me something has to be disconnected behind the glovebox. And yes - M89 glove box.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update - so fixed the issue today. Removed the entire glove box housing to expose that someone had plugged the valet harness into the latch connector and the latch harness into the valet connector. This was immediately obvious based on the info provided by the TIS (thx!)

Surprisingly connectors can be interchanged. Obviously some one wasnt paying attention when they worked on the vehicle. Additionally as the glovebox would never latch shut entirely as the mechanism had no power, the door was apparently slightly ajar which meant that the glovebox light was on 24/7. Explains the battery drain previous owner experienced.

Simple careless mistake by someone led to lots of little problems.

All works now!

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
2,957 Posts
Update - so fixed the issue today. Removed the entire glove box housing to expose that someone had plugged the valet harness into the latch connector and the latch harness into the valet connector. This was immediately obvious based on the info provided by the TIS (thx!)...
What was the give-away? -- Different wire colors than shown in TIS? ANOTHER reason to do your own work !!! :tsk: :thumbup:

I've always wondered if people who get paid to work on "Other People's Cars" are in as much of a rush when they work on their own. :rofl:

George

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What was the give-away? -- Different wire colors than shown in TIS? ANOTHER reason to do your own work !!! :tsk: :thumbup:

I've always wondered if people who get paid to work on "Other People's Cars" are in as much of a rush when they work on their own. :rofl:

George

The give away was that the valet specifies a harness with two conductors and the latch utilizes 4 conductors.

So easy a child could have fixed this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts