Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
BMW gets 5-month extensions on Takata airbag fixes
U.S. auto safety regulators have granted BMW of North America a five-month extension to complete repairs on some of its vehicles affected by the Takata airbag inflator recalls after replacement inflators from an alternative supplier failed in testing.
The first post has been updated with more details - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895535

·
Registered
4,196 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Called my dealer today 5/5/16 and they told me the replacement airbags wouldn't be available until "this summer."

·
Registered
38 Posts
When are the repair parts expected to be available?
BMW expects to receive a limited number of repair parts starting in the summer of 2016
Certainly feels like summer out now! Anyone have luck getting the fix?

·
Barely in control
Monaco 2008 328Xi coupe
373 Posts
Behind Chrylser

My running buddy has a 2013 Chrysler, which he bought used, he received his notice after I received mine and he is being told to bring it in for the repair. Also I received my recall alert before he did.

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for this.

However, I have a pressing question. BMW makes two steering wheel styles (3 spokes and 4 spokes). Is there one version that's more popular than the other, thus increasing the wait times for those vehicles due to part shortages?

An answer to this would help.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
No real way to know that. Also the airbags are being replaced based on the NTSB schedule last I read so there are just too many variables to factor to answer your question.

Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
No real way to know that. Also the airbags are being replaced based on the NTSB schedule last I read so there are just too many variables to factor to answer your question.

Tim
That's very odd....it seems like it would be "knowable." I just don't have the expertise to know if the majority of models have a 3 or 4 spoke wheel. Any luck with getting an answer to that question instead?

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
BMW doesn't report sales on that granular a level so I don't know how you'd figure out which was more popular.

·
Registered
29 Posts
got the letter

I got the letter saying the final remedy is available.

Just a quick question, do they do a quick check up for free on the car as well?

·
Retired Fed
694 Posts
I wouldn't ask that question, probably get a deer starring at a headlight look

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

21 - 40 of 44 Posts