BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Updated E46 wheel torque values

4253 Views 16 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  AF
I had been following the Bentley manual specs of 100 Nm or 72 lb/ft for a while. Discussing this with my service advisor, I pressed him to make sure they torque the lugs properly to 100 Nm. He told me that the proper torque was 120 +/- 10 Nm, I doubted it. But, when I came in, he gave me a sheet printed out fromt he TIS CD, 5/2002 version. It seems as though this is an update, my TIS says 100 Nm.

Follow accordingly, all except E53, E65, and E66 are 120 +/- 10 Nm; E53, E65, and E66 are 140 +/- 10 Nm

:thumb:
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
does the sheet specify whether that also applies to the M3?

(assuming yes)
it says " ALL, except E53, E65, E66; Measure 120 +/- 10 Nm"

so, yes....
atyclb said:
does the sheet specify whether that also applies to the M3?
Whats that in Ft/lbs? My torque wrench doesn't do Newton :)
My advisor said 87 ft/lbs (or was it 89), which is what my wrench said around 120 Nm...
in_d_haus said:
Whats that in Ft/lbs? My torque wrench doesn't do Newton :)
Actually doing the math, if 100 Nm=72 ft-lbs, then 120 Nm should equal 86.4 ft-lbs, assuming 10Nm=7.2 ft-lbs
so, he was right. ~87 ft/lbs

That is what I though he said...
atyclb said:
Actually doing the math, if 100 Nm=72 ft-lbs, then 120 Nm should equal 86.4 ft-lbs, assuming 10Nm=7.2 ft-lbs
In case you don't believe me, here is the printout that I was given...

So, what did change that they also changed the wheel torques ?
Maybe there were reports of wheels falling off :dunno:
Alex Baumann said:
So, what did change that they also changed the wheel torques ?
And they have realized that after four years ? :confused: I think it's right about time to knock some heads over in Munich.
nate328Ci said:

Maybe there were reports of wheels falling off :dunno:
I've never heard of that happening, but this is the new TIS :dunno:
Alex Baumann said:

And they have realized that after four years ? :confused: I think it's right about time to knock some heads over in Munich.
The 'facelift' E46 got an improved suspension, do you think it's got to do with it ?
nate328Ci said:
I've never heard of that happening, but this is the new TIS :dunno:
Why would it apply to all BMWs except the X5 and new 7? :dunno:
Alex Baumann said:

The 'facelift' E46 got an improved suspension, do you think it's got to do with it ?
thanks for posting that . . . I'm going to go and re-torque my lugs :thumb: :thumb:
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.