BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here happen to visit a MBZ dealer recently and check out the refreshed E-Class cars? I drove an E350 yesterday and was quite impressed with the overall car. Interestingly, the base car is about $51k and the sport package is a n/c option. Drove very nice and had a quality about the it (particularly the interior) that the BMW 5 series lacks. It just welcomes you.

I didn't get much of a chance to test out the handling (I'm certain it doesn't compare to BMW), and I regret that a MT is not available.

Anyways, it is a worthy competitor, and not any more expensive.

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
Dont regret that a MT isnt available on the E class. Mercedes makes an awful manual transmission. Even super slick European taxi drivers have trouble driving the E200s smoothly with a stick.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember driving a 190E once with an MT and I thought it was truly awful. Later, I drove a 260E and thought the same. Part of the problem is that their engines aren't too friendly to manual transmissions. Autoboxes do a better job of hiding jerkiness.

Newer C-class cars seem to have a much improved shifter - very tight and slick, but good luck finding one on dealer lot to test drive.

LA525iT said:
Dont regret that a MT isnt available on the E class. Mercedes makes an awful manual transmission. Even super slick European taxi drivers have trouble driving the E200s smoothly with a stick.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
LA525iT said:
:stupid: MB ought to stick with what they're best at, that is, automatics. I must experience this "4-gear kickdown" on the new 7ATs, where you loaf around in 7th and romp the gas, sending it to 3rd.

I believe I saw the new E-class on the road the other day..........looked overall the same to me but has some subtle updates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.