BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys

I am about to do a semi-complete overhaul on my 2003 M-Sport 540i/6 cooling system. Has anyone used the EAC Euro Parts list to get their parts?

Here's the link:
http://www.eaceuroparts.com/content...-e39-540i-from-998-cooling-system-parts-list/

Anything you would recommend in addition to this list? I already have a new radiator and expansion tank installed, so I would not need to replace that.

Somehow I managed to make it to 98k without having to do the overhaul. Unfortunately, it caught up with me a few days ago when my water pump blew out. :cry:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I just finished ordering everything. I got about 98% of the parts from AutohausAZ, and got the rest from EAC and Pelican Parts.

They had almost everything on my list. Autohaus' pricing was way better than Pelican and EAC, and they had free shipping too! I will remember them for the next purchases...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got all my parts from Autohaus AZ with the exception of the Hepu water pump from eEuroparts.com and the Nissens radiator from Amazon.

One word of caution, try to stick to OEM as much as possible. I tried to save a few buck by going with an alternate brand Idler Pulley (11281748130). While the part fit, the original dust cap would not fit. The week of hassle doing the RMA and waiting for the OEM pulley to arrive was not worth it.

Going over the EAC list, here are my comments (based on 530, so may not be applicable):
  • Water pump typically comes with gasket
  • Most reuse the water pump pulley. If purchasing, consider upgrading to aluminum version.
  • You may not need a new mounting clip for the expansion tank, but it's good insurance to keep a spare handy
  • Double check to see if parts already come with O-rings. I didn't need to purchase any for the hoses (just 1 for the temp sensor).
  • Just reuse the old coolant level sensor. Easily replaced if it breaks in the future
  • Reuse the old temp sensor (list has it as a switch), but make sure the get a new O-ring or you will get a leak. It's not listed as a separate orderable part, but you can use the same o-ring as the air temp sensor washer.

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
One word of caution, try to stick to OEM as much as possible. I tried to save a few buck by going with an alternate brand Idler Pulley (11281748130). While the part fit, the original dust cap would not fit. The week of hassle doing the RMA and waiting for the OEM pulley to arrive was not worth it.
I agree with getting OEM in most cases but the idler pulley dust cap is not so important if the bearings are double sealed. Even with the dust cap, grime will get in.

Replaced my idler pulley with Dayco Steel (not plastic like the OEM) ones for $9 ea which with came NTN double sealed bearings. Compare this with getting the whole assembly with bracket would've cost $50. That's $40 just for a bracket?!

Finally, with Advance Autoparts lifetime warranty. It's a well worth it from all aspects to get these even without the dustcaps for a $40 savings while compromising very little.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input. I stuck with OEM for everything except the GRAF metal impeller water pump that was recommended. I also bought replacement coolant and temp sensors in case my Indy was rough with it when he pulls everything off. In addition, I bought 4 water pump O-rings that were recommended by EAC on their list.

I wanted to replace all the pulleys and rollers too, but only found 3 online. I think I just got confused.

These are the one's I purchased:

11281742859 - Ina OEM Accessory Belt Tensioner Pulley/Roller; Adjusting Pulley Assembly for AC Compressor Belt

11287500560*- Ina OEM Idler Pulley/Roller; For Alternator Belt; 80mm Diameter

11511742045 - GENUINE BMW*Water Pump Pulley 112 mm Diameter

I noticed in the TIS that there are 2 or 3 other simple idler roller looking things, but couldn't find the part #'s for those anywhere.

What are those smaller one's called?

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DN53&mospid=47588&btnr=11_2012&hg=11&fg=18

EDIT:
Found a good pic, but still couldn't find the smaller pulley rollers anywhere:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112414&d=1182356776

·
Registered
197 Posts
i need parts for my car and im gettin them from autohauz but i feel like im missing a few things.. my mechanic said i needed these

both upper timing cover gaskets - *
vanos gaskets - ?
both valve cover gaskets and grommets - *
water pump - *
thermostat - *
upper and lower radiator hoses - *;, even though i have 4 in my cart? not sure if i needed ones for water pump or radiator
lower temp sensor valley pan - ?
o-rings, coolant oil and filter intake gaskets - 1/2 *
front and rear cover gaskets - ?
vacuum diaphragm - ?

* = in cart

plus a few more things that it's tellin me i need to get when i order the bigger things

for these... http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=flfdm545e2w2u555i3bktrn1&partnumber=11121437395
how many do i need?

edit:

what i have now

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you want to do the entire cooling system overhaul, make sure to get the small hoses and 'voltage regulator' that feed the transmission cooler. I'd also recommend replacing the transmission cooler if you can afford it. I've seen several posts here (including my own) where it has failed and allowed transmission fluid into the coolant, and coolant into the transmission.

I also replaced all of my heater hoses and clamps while I was at it - easier to do when the valve covers are off.

Here is a list of the hoses I purchased, along with some other miscellaneous parts that you may find useful.

11537511207 Cooling/Coolant Hose; Transmission Oil Cooler/Heater Exchanger to Engine Block $14.19
17111723117 Expansion Tank/Coolant Reservoir; Upper Mounting Clip for Expansion Tank $3.14
17111741167 Expansion Tank/Coolant Reservoir; w/ sensor; Does not include bleeder screw or pressure cap. $55.31
17111712963 Fan Shroud Rivet/Fastener; Plastic Expanding Rivet For 8mm Hole, 15mm Diameter Face $0.36
64218391005 Heater Hose; Engine Inlet to Water Valve $11.95
11531711384 Heater Hose; Heat Exchanger to Water Hose $31.55
64218391013 Heater Hose; Heater Core (Right) to Engine Return $6.14
64218387521 Heater Hose; Right Side Heater Core to Engine Return $18.20
64218391017 Heater Hose; Water Valve to Heater Core $11.39
64218367929 Heater Hose; Water Valve to Left Side of Heater Core $10.93
5000894 Radiator Hose; 90 Degree Elbow Fitting on Top of Radiator for Drain Hose $2.34
11531711385 Radiator Hose; Lower to Transmission Oil Cooler/Heat Exchanger $14.24
11537505229 Radiator Hose; Lower to Water Pump $29.25
11537505228 Radiator Hose; Upper to Water Pump with Tee Hose for Alternator Cooling $36.13
17111427156 Radiator Hose; Vent Hose from Radiator to Expansion Tank $9.44

·
Registered
345 Posts
I spent a week alone finalizing the list.
First I decided what jobs I was gonna do.
1) Complete Cooling over all
2) Oil filter housing gasket
3) power steering hoses
4) valve cover gasket
5) VANOS' seals

Then I followed the diagram of Real OEM and for each job made a list of the P/N needed.
Then I created an excel file with all the part number and then I went to town. By cutting and paste the P/N in the search box of each place ( autohauz AZ, RE European, Pellican BAvauto) I looked for same brand and best price. So 70% was AUTOHAUZ AZ, 25 % RM EUROPEAN and the rest Pellican.
The best part ????
Did not have to pay sales taxes in California LOL ( except for pelican of course which is 2 miles from my house)
Total spent $ 892.00

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I did the very same thing. Ended up getting most from AutohausAZ and a little from PP and EAC and ECS

My total was $1051 - including coolant and a couple of tools and an oil change kit.

Hopefully I wont have to do much to it for a while - except for the small vaccuum leak that I have...Which is a whole other story...

The spreadsheet is the way to go when comparing prices. I think I saved about $250 by shopping around.

Here is my list: (i was loosely comparing prices in the lists...)

http://i.imgur.com/lL8ff.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
I spent a week alone finalizing the list.
First I decided what jobs I was gonna do.
1) Complete Cooling over all
2) Oil filter housing gasket
3) power steering hoses
4) valve cover gasket
5) VANOS' seals
Any reason why you're not replacing the belts / pulleys / tensioners while you're doing the cooling?

Also, consider replacing the spark plugs while you do the VCG.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Any reason why you're not replacing the belts / pulleys / tensioners
For the record, at about 95K miles, I had replaced my belts/tensioners/alternator and then, two months later, I had to rip the same stuff out again to replace the cooling system which sprung a leak a few thousand miles later.

So, I second the notion of Blight67.

You're well on your way, but, here's a parts list for both:
- List & picture of all the cooling system overhaul parts to replace (1) (2) (3)
- Recommended parts list for a complete belt drive system overhaul (1)

Also, consider replacing the spark plugs while you do the VCG.
I didn't look which engine (it doesn't show in this reply mode), but, if it's the I6 ... see this highly pictorial DIY:
- One user's pictorial DIY for replacing the BMW M54 engine spark plugs (1)

·
Registered
53 Posts
so when you guys say OEM, does that mean genuine BMW ? because i called auohauz and they said they are the oe for for that car , not neccassirly bmw, because only bmw dealer can sell bmw oem parts, so this parts from autohauz are not genuine oem, not the same specs as original bmw?

I got all my parts from Autohaus AZ with the exception of the Hepu water pump from eEuroparts.com and the Nissens radiator from Amazon.

Going over the EAC list, here are my comments (based on 530, so may not be applicable):
  • Water pump typically comes with gasket
  • Most reuse the water pump pulley. If purchasing, consider upgrading to aluminum version.
  • You may not need a new mounting clip for the expansion tank, but it's good insurance to keep a spare handy
  • Double check to see if parts already come with O-rings. I didn't need to purchase any for the hoses (just 1 for the temp sensor).
  • Just reuse the old coolant level sensor. Easily replaced if it breaks in the future
  • Reuse the old temp sensor (list has it as a switch), but make sure the get a new O-ring or you will get a leak. It's not listed as a separate orderable part, but you can use the same o-ring as the air temp sensor washer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Update: Finished Installing Everything

I just got my car back after getting my Indy to install all the parts from the list.
I spent a little under $1100 on parts and my Indy only wanted $400 to install everything!

Ended up giving him $500 - after all, it is the giving season.

Car running great now!

Here is a pic of it as he was stripping it down... It took him 10 minutes to remove the hoses and get the radiator out!

Thanks for all your responses. They were very helpful.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.