BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Member of the ® club
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished modernizing my 2006 650 with upgraded electronics. Replaced the CCC with a CIC, new screen, new iDrive controller, backup camera and MMI that provides CarPlay. Purchased the kit from BimmerTech. Very pleased with the end result. Makes the car feel almost new again.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Car Steering wheel

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Gear shift Automotive design

Car Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Steering wheel Automotive design Motor vehicle

Car Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel Automotive design

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
yes, I did the install myself.
Nice job. I did mine years ago and never regretted it.

FYI there is actually a different AC control panel for the CIC. Rather than MAX and Rest there are passenger and drivers buttons and it does work differently. I may have a spare if you're interested.

·
Member of the ® club
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the updated ventilation controller require coding to the vehicle or it is completely plug and play?

·
Member of the ® club
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does the updated AC / ventilation controller require coding to the vehicle or it is completely plug and play?

Nice job. I did mine years ago and never regretted it.

FYI there is actually a different AC control panel for the CIC. Rather than MAX and Rest there are passenger and drivers buttons and it does work differently. I may have a spare if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
This is a very long thread but somewhere in here ire the wiring changes.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yep! You have to tap a hot wire. I think I used the emergency flashers and run it to the ACC controls. Seems like there was anther change but I don't remember now. A quick search will get you a DIY to update to IHK2

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Yep! You have to tap a hot wire. I think I used the emergency flashers and run it to the ACC controls. Seems like there was anther change but I don't remember now. A quick search will get you a DIY to update to IHK2
I think I put in the extra +12v from a jumper from the same connector or another connector on the same panel, but yes there is also another change from one pin to another I think on the blue connector.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, I did an CCC to andriod head unit upgrade not long ago to my 05 645ci and here is the result:

Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Gadget Vehicle audio
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Car

you can tell even the bmw original screen has a better resolution, the total cost:

Headunit from Wakaa $339 and an AUX cable from amazon $8,

Communication Device Portable communications device Output device Mobile phone Mobile device
Data transfer cable Usb cable Product Font Cable

the reason I did it was ever since I got my iphone11 a few years ago, my blue tooth stop working... and I really want to use carplay so I can use maps from my phone. Keep in mind, I have NO AUX to start with, so it's a 2 step process...The only imperfection is that the music coming from the new unit is through AUX, which is only L/R, the sound quality is not as rich as original BMW (FM/CD etc), which I can still use with no problem.

In case you wonder, I didn't buy a backup camera($20 extra but lots of work routing the wire) since mine is a convertible, who needs that while I can turn my head :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts