BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This weekend I traveled along BW 8 on the east side, north of I10, in Houston and to my surprise, the maps did not have any info about BW8 being completed in this area. This is a major highway in Houston, completed in February of 2011 - how long it takes to get it updated?

One of the reasons I updated maps was to put my house there. That didn't happened - my 2 years old neighborhood in Houston didn't make it in this release, but almost 4 years old major highway, that is unbelievable.

Is there anything I may have to do, to get my maps refreshed perhaps? When I go to settings->version it shows 2015-1.

· Registered
1,933 Posts
I believe BMW went with a European company (teleatlas) instead of the US based NavTeq. Teleatlas' maps for the US are not very good and they are slow to update them. I don't have experience with European map data, but I suspect Teleatlas has better European data than NavTeq, which is likely why BMW chose them as the data provider.

So there isn't much you can do to fix it -- BMW simply chose a map data provider with poor US data. I often use my Garmin GPS instead of the BMW system, as the data is noticeably more accurate.

· Car guy
238 Posts
BMW nav sucks. Simple as that. I gave up on mine about three months after I took delivery. Buy a 150 dollar garmin if you want something that works. It looks stupid but I have one stuck to my windshield because I want something that I don't have to worry about.

· Aviator
3,070 Posts
In the past BMW utilized NavTeq's database, but went cheap with Teleatlas years ago. It's either a Garmin or suffer with the sh!tty BMW Nav.
Be glad you don't have a Porsche - the most expensive and worst Nav I've owned or used.

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the past BMW utilized NavTeq's database, but went cheap with Teleatlas years ago. It's either a Garmin or suffer with the sh!tty BMW Nav.
Be glad you don't have a Porsche - the most expensive and worst Nav I've owned or used.
That makes me feel better :D I was also recently looking at some Garmins and came across a review from frustrated Acura owner, who complained that on his 2015 MDX NAV had some items were not updated since 2004. I guess the grass is not greener on the other side.:rofl:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.