BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a 93 325i (auto tranny). It has 130,000 mi. I want to make it fast but i don't know where to start. I was thinking of buying an m3 exhaust (my muffler went out), a Dinan cold air intake, Dinan Transmission Chip, and a Dinan Engine chip. If anyone has any suggestions to what i should do, i would really appreciate it. Also, if anybody is selling anyone of these items, pls let me know. I am also looking for a good deal on 17" AC Schnitzer type II's and was considering a 5 or 6 spd transmission. Does anybody know how much the transmission would cost me including labor?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just recently bought a 93 325i (auto tranny). It has 130,000 mi. I want to make it fast but i don't know where to start. I was thinking of buying an m3 exhaust (my muffler went out)
..snip..
[/QUOTE]

I have an early e36 also, the same as your car but stick. Unfortunately it seems the mufflers have a propensity for rotting, and I suspect getting the oem muffler will result in the same :cry: I went and purchased an aftermarket stainless muffler but it ended up being too loud, but otherwise satisfactory. :thumbdwn: Installation, in my case, was uneventful -- but the exhaust may need to be replaced all the way to the catalytic converter :thumbdwn:

By the way, are your front door panels loose? A common problem with the first two model years or so -- I tried bolting the panels to the frame but the doors are still easy to snap off.

Jordan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the way, are your front door panels loose? A common problem with the first two model years or so -- I tried bolting the panels to the frame but the doors are still easy to snap off.

Yes, my door panels are also loose. Actually, one of my back ones is extremely loose. Also, yesterday my window wouldn't go up. I think its just not aligned because it was very loose. Do you know why this could be?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Also, yesterday my window wouldn't go up. I think its just not aligned because it was very loose. Do you know why this could be?
That could be, though I haven't had that happen to me! :angel:
The doors have a good number of plastic relays; the driver's door regulator for central locking burnt out on mine shortly before I purchased my car (August 2001). The doors would make a whirring noise and a clunk and then not open until I jiggled the key in the lock. Turns out if the relays fail to act exactly in sync the doors will not open :mad: I'd post a photo of the relay but I threw it out :(

As a heads-up, here are some other potential glitches to keep an eye out for as your e36 ages:

The dashboard electrics get kinda schizo. My temperature gauge, parking brake light, oilservice meter, and a few other idiot lights are busted. I just ignore these gauges. If the car begins to roll, I'll know it! :yikes: :yikes: Always use an oil change sticker rather than rely on the little oilchange gizmo.

Body moulding gets undone a bit.

I blew a left rear wheel bearing and failed inspection. :thumbdwn: That can happen to any old car, so that's not a glitch, just age.

That's about it for right now. I can't comment on the automatic, but the manual is quite stable (save for a tiny bit of scratchiness on the 2nd synchro, but the car is almost ten, so I cut him a break.)

Good luck,
Jordan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts